Start by marking “Happy New Year! / Kung-Hsi Fa-Ts'ai!” as Want to Read:
Happy New Year! / Kung-Hsi Fa-Ts'ai!

Happy New Year! / Kung-Hsi Fa-Ts'ai!

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"In a book that is itself a celebration, Demi explains the rituals and ideas behind the Chinese New Year festival. The last 15 days of the old year are spent cleaning and preparing. On the eve of the new moon, a special feast is prepared. Each food has meaning: pork, for example, brings wealth. The first 15 days of the new year are spent celebrating with lion dances, firec ...more
Published December 28th 1999 by Dragonfly Books (first published November 11th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Happy New Year! / Kung-Hsi Fa-Ts'ai!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy New Year! / Kung-Hsi Fa-Ts'ai!

Denis A.
Ok, so this lacks the "cutesy-ness" factor you might see in other children's books. Instead what you get is a book that actually teaches about the history of Chinese New Year's. It gets into the Chinese lunar calendar, symbolism of various trees, flowers, and fruit, the tradition of worship. I appreciated the depth of this book as an excellent introduction to Chinese New Year's; a great read for children learning about cultures different from their own.
Lisa Vegan
Feb 08, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
I am surprised by how much I didn’t like this book. It could have been so much more. There’s so much more information that could have been included and the information given could have been written in a much more interesting way. Even the illustrations aren’t as great as I’ve seen in Demi’s other books. I knew a Goodreads friend wasn’t that impressed by this book, but I thought I might enjoy it. I think I probably didn’t like it as much as she did. I almost gave it 1 star. 2 stars for the inform ...more
Kelly
This had been out of the library when I looked for it earlier in the year, but I'm glad I found it now. It will be a great addition to my stock of Chinese New Year resources. The non-fiction text could easily be read in one sitting or broken into a series of installments. And the content as clear yet detailed. The illustrations aren't the strongest point of the book, but are filled with joy. Topics covered include: a great explanation of the Chinese lunar calendar and the 30 days of Chinese New ...more
Dolly
Feb 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books by Demi and I love that they have an educational basis. The stories are sometimes a bit dry, but overall, the gorgeous illustrations really make up for any lack in the narrative. This was not one of our favorites, but it was still an interesting read.

I thought it would be a good time to read this book, as we get ready for Chinese New Year. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Carolyn Hart
Happy, Happy Chinese New Year! will be best appreciated when read by one or two children. It could be used by a child doing research into the traditions associated with Chinese New Year. Detailed illustrations include numerous small, labelled figures preparing for a community celebration. A tremendous banquet is shown and is enhanced by a key that provides the name of each food item, in English and Chinese, as well as the significance of each of the dishes.

Part of getting ready for the Chinese N
Karen
This read a little like a grade 4 poster project on the Chinese New Year. What was lacking in depth or narrative was made up for in the variety of topics; e.g. the lunar cycle, Chinese zodiac, plants, calligraphy, lucky New Year dishes, buddhas, gods and lanterns among others. Demi's illustrations are ok, but not at their elegant and intricate best.
Mommywest
With fun, Chinese-style illustrations, this cute book introduces children to Chinese New Year in a delightful way. Chinese beliefs and Chinese New Year traditions are each briefly described in enough detail that this is a good resource for anyone who wants to know more about these things. I used it as a resource for preschool and skipped the things I didn't really care to focus on, like the different gods and what they represent. Preschool Unit: Chinese New Year (Friends In Many Lands)
Lin Lin
I found this book in our local library, one of the two books there on the topic of Chinese New Year. The book has the basic elements about Chinese new year, but the people portrayed in the book seem to live in the ancient dynasties. The book fails to capture the spirits in a fast-developing society in China today.
Cindi
This is a slightly longer version of "Happy, Happy Chinese New Year." It includes more about Buddism, good year wishes, flowers and their meanings in Chinese culture and more.
Cindi
I like Demi's intricate little drawings of Chinese people, buildings and culture. It was fun to learn more about Chinese New Year!
Lindsay
Chinese New Year

Great informative non-fiction with simple details and wonderful pictures
Amy
2014 Checked this one out again for Chinese New Year
Linda
Beautiful illustrations in a small book-easy read.
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Mrsvvnhongmail.com
Mrsvvnhongmail.com marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Catherine Girsh
Catherine Girsh marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Disha Sankhla
Disha Sankhla marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Arhan Sankhla
Arhan Sankhla marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Demi (September 2, 1942) born Charlotte Dumaresq Hunt, is an award-winning children’s book author and illustrator. During her career she has published over 300 titles.

Demi was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. She is the great-grand daughter of the American painter William Morris Hunt, and the great-grand niece of architect Richard Morris Hunt. Demi earned her nickname as a young child when her fa
More about Demi...
The Empty Pot One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale Liang and the Magic Paintbrush Gandhi The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey