Wellington: The Iron Duke

Wellington: The Iron Duke

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  3 ratings  ·  3 reviews
One of the Duke of Wellington's officers once remarked, "We would rather see his long nose in the sight than a reinforcement of ten thousand men." Arthur Wellesley, first duke of Wellington (1769 1852), was one of the greatest military commanders in history and is best known as the successful opponent at Waterloo of arguably the leading general of all time, Napoleon Bonapa...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Potomac Books

To ask other readers questions about Wellington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wellington

Lil
Jan 18, 2009 Lil added it
I've been writing an historical mystery which takes place in 1806 England, amidst the backdrop of the Napoleonic wars. I thought I should know more about one of the men who was key in winning that war.

The Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley(Army), was an excellent leader and strategist, with excellent skills in tactical maneuvers. He was responsible for Napoleon's final defeat at Waterloo in 1815. This book about Wellington is condensed to 104 pages, which doesn't include notes, bibligraphy, a...more
John
Nice short biography of Wellington that gets right to the point of of his success -- logistics and attention to the care and feeding of his troops. Sympathetic to his brief term as Prime Minister, which a beefeater once told me during a tour of the Tower of London was "disastrous." I guess its tough to top his Spanish campaigns and Waterloo . . .
Sean Chick
A solid account of the man and his career. The author thankfully points out Wellington's shortcomings as a politician, family man, and as general-in-chief of the army, which stand in contrast to his superb generalship.
Rintintin
Rintintin marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
Seivue
Seivue marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2012
Armies Of Wellington The Napoleonic Source Book Nelson's Navy (Elite) British Napoleonic Infantry Tactics 1792–1815 (Elite) Uniforms of the Peninsular War in Colour, 1807-1814