Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes and the Hapsburg Tiara” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes and the Hapsburg Tiara

Sherlock Holmes and the Hapsburg Tiara

In a crafty new novel featuring the world's greatest literary detective, Alan Vanneman extends the boundaries of the Sherlock Holmes canon with an investigation that takes the celebrated sleuth and his cohort Dr. Watson far from the cozy Victorian comforts of 221B Baker Street. Indeed, enjoying the luxuries of the Orient Express, they travel the breadth of fin de siècle Eu ...more
Published January 3rd 2005 by Carroll & Graf (first published December 30th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sherlock Holmes and the Hapsburg Tiara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sherlock Holmes and the Hapsburg Tiara

Rena Sherwood
Sep 07, 2014 Rena Sherwood rated it did not like it
Incredibly disappointing. Watson writing in excruciating detail about his sexual conquests? Watson having a foot fetish? Watson adopting a street urchin for no reason? A case taking over 10 years for Holmes to solve? A book where Holmes is in the background for most of the narration and yet not doing that in order to advance the plot like in ?

description

No thank you.

And please, someone send Alan Vanneman and/or his publisher to a doctor. They have medicines for these things.

description

Jeff Summers
Mar 18, 2015 Jeff Summers rated it it was ok
The story takes too long, has very little of Holmes (and what we get isn't "really Holmes"), and is more about Watson's infatuations than anything else.

Any generic detective could have been inserted in Holmes' place; there wasn't any of that marvelous deduction shown on display as in Doyle's original works or other excellent Holmes stories (a much better option is Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson by Lyndsay Faye).
Bernadette
While I generally enjoyed the book overall, I found it to be more of a Dr. Watson novel than of Sherlock Holmes. And the addition of Dr. Watson's adoptive daughter, Jenny, was as unwelcome as the introduction of precocious youth tends to be (see Scrappy Doo). Still I would consider reading a sequel.
Patrice Fischer
Jun 07, 2013 Patrice Fischer rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this addition to the Sherlock Homes oeuvre, especially the addition of Jenny, the teenager that Watson begins overseeing. She brings freshness and delight. Once again, as in the Jason Goodwin 'Yashim' series, the background of Istanbul brings an added dimension to the setting.

I wish there was another by this same author!
Rich
Aug 16, 2013 Rich rated it liked it
While it is rather slow at times and features more Watson than Holmes, it is nonetheless a decent mystery with our old friends and featuring Watson's new adopted daughter. While I've read better, overall I enjoyed it.
Betty
Apr 18, 2007 Betty rated it really liked it
One of my first few Sherlock Holmes books. I found it very interesting. The relationship between Holmes and Watson is very familial. The quest to find diamonds and return it to its righful owner sends the two on a dangerous excursion halfway around the world.
Dave
Feb 09, 2010 Dave rated it liked it
A nice diversion - Vanneman captures the energy of Holmes that sometimes even Doyle lacked in his later years.
Robert Weintraub
Nov 16, 2013 Robert Weintraub rated it liked it
liked the way repartee between Holmes and Watson was true to original. Thought plot was overly convoluted. Also Watson played too large a role.
John Sherman
Jun 02, 2012 John Sherman rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I liked the introduction of Watson's adopted daughter but not the portrayal of Watson's character & why didn't Mycroft help out
Alu
Alu rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2017
Cj
Cj rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2012
Typographer
Typographer rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2008
Wyncia
Wyncia rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Ellen Duval
Ellen Duval rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2015
Lyndsay
Lyndsay rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2009
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2010
Madhu
Madhu rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2013
Dona
Dona rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Max
Max rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2011
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
Carolynn R
Carolynn R rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2015
Victor
Victor rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Derek Smith
Derek Smith rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Sare Gordy
Sare Gordy rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Tim Schaffer
Tim Schaffer rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2014