Start by marking “The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People” as Want to Read:
The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People

The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  22 reviews
You don't have to stifle your creative impulses to pay the bills. For anyone who's ever been told, "Don't quit your day job," career counselor Carol Eikleberry is here to say, "Pursue your dreams!" Now in its third edition, her inspiring guide provides knowledgeable career guidance, real-life success stories, and eye-opening self-evaluation tools to help artistic individua ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Ten Speed Press (first published October 1995)

Be the first to ask a question about The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People

Rosa
What is your present paradigm of work? Is there any chance you see it as a duty in life, or as it ‘should’ be, rather than as all it can be? Don’t settle for so little! This is a book which can shift your thinking, and broaden your horizons significantly, revealing the gift of your own creativity within a personal reinvention.

This is the 3rd edition released since Carol Eickleberry initially published her career guide in 2007, and her website has been designed as a more detailed reference compan
Susan
Interesting review of what is "art creative" and what is "art appreciative". I have meet alot of the latter and have never been able to put my finger on the difference and thanks to this book I now can. To me that was the most valuable part of the book. I thought the salaries wildly out of sync for my general area, I guess they are national norms; some were very old circa 2004 and others 2009. Overall, I liked the book and enjoyed it. It's fast reading as virtually half of it are the "jobs".
Lisse
This book does a good job of helping you see that you are not alone in your unhappiness with your work and also helps you focus on areas that might be better suited to you by the Holland method, which groups you into different catergories (for instance I am an ASI - artistic, social, investigative type) and then lists hundreds of jobs with their Holland types as well. It's a good jumping of point to help guide you along your way as you search for a career feild that will best suit you.
Vicki Zelski
All I've discovered so far is that I'm not really that unconventional. Creative, yes, but mostly conventional with some unconventional moments!!
Had some good ideas about how to incorporate your creative side with a regular job and gave many job descriptions that I wouldn't have thought of.
Food for thought.
Susan
Nov 24, 2008 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: career-seeking creative people
Hands down, the very best book for people whose Holland score begins with an A. I've read a lot of career-hunting tomes and this one was the first that made me feel like a normal, fully functioning human being. It's one I'd like to own because I keep wanting to refer back to it.
Heather Moss
This was an interesting book with a lot of self-assessment exercises to help you figure out what to do with your life. The bottom line is that you can do anything you want, but be prepared to work very hard and suffer before you achieve success. I can live with that.
Rachel
This book was recommended to me, I was a little disappointed. Its a good book and some nice points and exercises but not earth shattering and to be honest although it was good a clearly defining how different people are obviously cut out for different sectors I found it a little old fashioned. Some good exercises in it. Maybe I would get someone younger and starting out on their career feeling a little confused to read this.
Breanna
I really felt that she might give more career advice that wasn't as popular. I felt like the advice she gave us was normal and nothing extraordinary about it. I felt she had some good points. But I also read this knowing what career choice I have in mind instead of going into the book without a clue of what I want to do with myself. Also I had taken a lifespan class that had already discussed Holland's personality theory which was a majority of the first part of the book. However, I have confirm ...more
Stephen
Disappointing. Seemed dated even though updated in 2006. I feel this guide is better suited for a person unsure whether they are "unconventional" and "creative", than for pretty well established unconventionals. Maybe for career shifters, than for people starting out in the work world. A lot of psychology fills the front of the book. Either way, I feel it lacks an author who is unconventional and therefor can sympathize. There are suggestions about becominga circus ringleader- a job I believe on ...more
Krista
This book helped point me in 'a' direction... which eventually did lead me to a career I love! I am letting it go now but have a fondness for it.
Michelle
I learned I am neither creative nor unconventional, but otherwise would be a good career exploration book for those types.
Paul Sidwell
This book accomplishes what it sets out to- helping the creative thinkers and unconventional workers out there to find a type of work that they are properly suited for. Carol Eikleberry does a great job of helping readers decide what type of work-personality they have and how they can fit that with their actual dreams. She does this while incorporating traditional research and counseling methods into the mix, further establishing her credibility and authority on the subject. Highly recommended f ...more
Renee
I don't know if this book really works or not because by the time I finished it (skimming), I'd already overcome the freak-out session that propelled me to buy the book in the first place. It was good enough for what I needed, I suppose, giving me a quiz or two, a wise word or two, and wide variety of careers to look at (and websites to go to for further career information). Not amazing, life-changing stuff, but a nice little book to calm you down and give you some options.

Find more book reviews
Annm
I bought this book mostly to help me understand what the future might hold for my younger daughter, who is most definitely creative and unconventional. I found in this book the means to better understand her, explain some of her needs to her teachers now, and hope for the fascinating and challenging life that she will undoubtedly live.

I also found confirmation for myself that my I, too, am a creative and less conventional person and that I can explore that side of me.

Jenifer Thomas
Disappointing guide, which offered me not enough helpful insight to deem this book with more than one star. It was a dull read that began by assuring whether the reader was unconventional or creative, seeming to target uncertain individual rather than an individual who acknowledge these traits within themselves. Additionally some of the careers mentioned at the end of the book seemed like unrealistic career goals, or careers that seemed difficult to make a living off of.
Elizabeth Lund
Certainly not bad, but not what I was looking for. I guess I was looking not so much for "creative things that some people make into careers" as "jobs I might find listings for that could be a good fit for a creative person." I already know what my passions are; what I need is help in finding "day jobs" that might be a good fit for my personality while I pursue my passions on the side.
Lizpeveto
Non fiction for helping to choose a satisfying career based on your personality strengths. Lists of career paths not on the usual job descriptions. Might help when changing jobs or for younger persons entering the workplace.
Tina
I saw a lot of myself in this book. I also took the Holland test (wish I had taken it when I was 18). It provides several ways to create a list of occupations one would like to pursue.
Michael
Not terrible for artistic types, especially in a crisis, since it's as much counseling session as career guide.
David
just confirmed wha i already knew, that i'm a complete misfit. the cross i have to bear, ha ha!
Renee
I started reading it and realized I have read it before. I hate when that happens.
Ruzanne
Oct 15, 2012 Ruzanne marked it as to-read
Ddoublethink
Ddoublethink marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Pradeep Sahdev
Pradeep Sahdev marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Alina Leang
Alina Leang marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Andrea Warren
Andrea Warren marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Bonnie Jacobs hessler
Bonnie Jacobs hessler marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sunita Janagal
Sunita Janagal marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Make Your Creative Dreams Real: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, and People Who Would Really Rather Sleep All Day
  • Creative, Inc.: The Ultimate Guide to Running a Successful Freelance Business
  • The Way We'll Be: The Zogby Report on the Transformation of the American Dream
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists & Creatives of all Kinds
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • The Think Big Manifesto: Think You Can't Change Your Life (and the World?) Think Again.
  • Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Don't Send a Resume: And Other Contrarian Rules to Help Land a Great Job
  • The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto

“Adventures don’t begin until you get into the forest. That first step is an act of faith.” —MICKEY HART” 0 likes
“The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.” —ÉMILE ZOLA” 0 likes