Start by marking “Power Game: How Washington Works” as Want to Read:
Power Game: How Washington Works

Power Game: How Washington Works

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Pulitzer Prize winner Hedrick Smith goes inside America's power center in Washington, DC to reveal how the game of governing was played in the 1980s.
Published September 29th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Power Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power Game

Jim
Dec 22, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
I've read this book three times over the years. Once it was required reading in my Congress and the President course during my undergraduate work. Once I read it on my own, and most recently I referred back to it as I prepare for the Spring semester of 2015 as a college government teacher.

I find Smith's work to still be relevant and a compelling read.
Hadrian
Aug 01, 2011 Hadrian rated it really liked it
After this recent snarl over the debt, I felt compelled to learn about how government works - not just the hierarchical system we learn about in government classes, but the tough wrangling of power and personality and special interest.

So here it is - the nature of the beast. The dense snarl of how the American political system works. This book was mainly written during the Reagan era, and makes the most references to his politics. But still, now that these once-contemporary events have become pa
Jeff
Jan 15, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books in high school. We read it during AP Government.
Wmcreyno
Dated, with lots of inside-baseball crap about the Reagan administration. Too long. The author is depressingly complacent about the sleaziness of national politics, and it doesn't help that he doesn't have much sense of humor about it, either.
Brian
Jan 22, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Everything I learned about Washington I learned from reading this. Ok, so that's not true, but when I read this book, back in Mr. Patchet's AP Government class senior year, it really opened my eyes and helped lay the foundation of skepticism towards government. It remains on my bookshelf after all these years because I think it's probably still somewhat relevant today.
Ben Haymond
Jul 18, 2014 Ben Haymond rated it it was amazing
This book is about politics in a specific time period (The Reagan presidency). But it doesn't feel dated at all. Smith uses examples that were comtemporary to him to illustrate principles that are still vital in today's political world. I learned more about the dynamics of American politics from this book than from some entire classes. A great read.
Nathan
Feb 10, 2009 Nathan rated it really liked it
Written at the end of the Reagan era, the book is dated in the literal sense. But the problems that plagued the federal government in the 1980s have scarcely changed. Required reading for anyone looking to grapple with the great beast.

Michael Rushnak
Powerbrokers rule. Be one or lose if you're in the political arena! As they say, it's not beanball.
Heather Martin
Dec 15, 2007 Heather Martin rated it really liked it
Interesting if you like politics
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Ford Coppola
Ford Coppola marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
PS
PS marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
sandhya
sandhya marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Bonnie Swartz
Bonnie Swartz marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Weijia Yao
Weijia Yao is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Matthew G. Martel
Matthew G. Martel marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 21, 2015
Raymond
Raymond marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
  • The Rise and Fall of the American Whig Party: Jacksonian Politics and the Onset of the Civil War
  • Losers
  • Miracle at Philadelphia: The Story of the Constitutional Convention, May to September 1787
  • The Reckoning
  • The Making of the President 1968
  • All the Presidents' Children: Triumph and Tragedy in the Lives of America's First Families
  • 1912: Wilson, Roosevelt, Taft and Debs -- The Election that Changed the Country
  • The Real Romney
  • Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized By People Who Think You're Stupid
  • The Shaping of England
  • Comic Wars: How Two Tycoons Battled Over the Marvel Comics Empire--And Both Lost
  • Billionaires & Ballot Bandits: How to Steal an Election in 9 Easy Steps
  • A Struggle for Power: The American Revolution
  • The Secret World of Oil
  • Watchdogs of Democracy?: The Waning Washington Press Corps and How It Has Failed the Public
  • Clinton, Inc.: The Audacious Rebuilding of a Political Machine