Start by marking “Power Game: How Washington Works” as Want to Read:
Power Game: How Washington Works

Power Game: How Washington Works

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Pulitzer Prize winner Hedrick Smith goes inside America's power center in Washington, DC to reveal how the game of governing was played in the 1980s.
Published September 29th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Power Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power Game

Jim
I've read this book three times over the years. Once it was required reading in my Congress and the President course during my undergraduate work. Once I read it on my own, and most recently I referred back to it as I prepare for the Spring semester of 2015 as a college government teacher.

I find Smith's work to still be relevant and a compelling read.
Hadrian
After this recent snarl over the debt, I felt compelled to learn about how government works - not just the hierarchical system we learn about in government classes, but the tough wrangling of power and personality and special interest.

So here it is - the nature of the beast. The dense snarl of how the American political system works. This book was mainly written during the Reagan era, and makes the most references to his politics. But still, now that these once-contemporary events have become pa
Wmcreyno
Dated, with lots of inside-baseball crap about the Reagan administration. Too long. The author is depressingly complacent about the sleaziness of national politics, and it doesn't help that he doesn't have much sense of humor about it, either.
Brian
Everything I learned about Washington I learned from reading this. Ok, so that's not true, but when I read this book, back in Mr. Patchet's AP Government class senior year, it really opened my eyes and helped lay the foundation of skepticism towards government. It remains on my bookshelf after all these years because I think it's probably still somewhat relevant today.
Ben Haymond
This book is about politics in a specific time period (The Reagan presidency). But it doesn't feel dated at all. Smith uses examples that were comtemporary to him to illustrate principles that are still vital in today's political world. I learned more about the dynamics of American politics from this book than from some entire classes. A great read.
Nathan
Written at the end of the Reagan era, the book is dated in the literal sense. But the problems that plagued the federal government in the 1980s have scarcely changed. Required reading for anyone looking to grapple with the great beast.

Michael Rushnak
Powerbrokers rule. Be one or lose if you're in the political arena! As they say, it's not beanball.
Heather Martin
Interesting if you like politics
Eugene Mesange
Eugene Mesange marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Chase
Chase marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
James Gadea
James Gadea marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Anna Rose
Anna Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Taylor Beightol
Taylor Beightol marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Neha Israney
Neha Israney marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
James Falcon
James Falcon marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Stefan Fergus
Stefan Fergus marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Aman
Aman marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Alyona
Alyona marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Fishwaveshi
Fishwaveshi marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Frantz
Frantz marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Scott
Scott added it
Mar 23, 2015
Carlo Taboada
Carlo Taboada marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Gertjan
Gertjan marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
  • The Rise and Fall of the American Whig Party: Jacksonian Politics and the Onset of the Civil War
  • Miracle at Philadelphia: The Story of the Constitutional Convention, May to September 1787
  • Losers
  • All the Presidents' Children: Triumph and Tragedy in the Lives of America's First Families
  • The Making of the President 1968
  • Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized By People Who Think You're Stupid
  • Watchdogs of Democracy?: The Waning Washington Press Corps and How It Has Failed the Public
  • The Secret World of Oil
  • The Real Romney
  • The Shaping of England
  • Billionaires & Ballot Bandits: How to Steal an Election in 9 Easy Steps
  • 1912: Wilson, Roosevelt, Taft and Debs -- The Election that Changed the Country
  • Comic Wars: How Two Tycoons Battled Over the Marvel Comics Empire--And Both Lost
  • Chasing the White Dog: An Amateur Outlaw's Adventures in Moonshine
  • God and Sex: What the Bible Really Says
  • Opportunity, Montana: Big Copper, Bad Water, and the Burial of an American Landscape
  • Blood Sport: The Truth Behind the Scandals in the Clinton White House
  • Redeeming the Dream: The Case for Marriage Equality
The Russians Who Stole the American Dream? Can We Get It Back? The New Russians The Power Game: Part 1 Rethinking America