Monkey with a Tool Belt and the Noisy Problem

Monkey with a Tool Belt and the Noisy Problem (Chico Bon Bon)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Chico Bon Bon has a problem . . . a noisy problem. He wants to fix it. BUT HE CAN'T FIND IT! What's a monkey to do? Use his tools, of course. With his tool belt, Chico can do anything!

Book Details: Format: Library Binding Publication Date: 4/1/2009 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 5 and Up
Published April 1st 2009 by Carolrhoda Books (first published January 1st 2009)

babyhippoface
There's a terrible "Arooga! Boom! Clang!" noise in Chico Bon Bon's tree house, but he cannot find what's causing the sound. After searching from attic to basement, he locates the source of the problem: an elephant named Clark is stuck in the laundry chute.

No kidding. How priceless is that?

Chico Bon Bon uses his handy-dandy tool belt, and in just 12 easy steps involving tools like a tape measure, sticky winch, grease gun, and his newly-built banana cannon, he pulls Clark free. Yes, I did just say...more
Maya Orama
This book is about a monkey he hade a big belt that has things to fix stuff every morning he wake up and fix his room monkey has big house when monkey was doing the launder every thing got stuck so monkey went down down to the sewer and he sow a hug elephant that got stuck in the sewer were the do their launder so he went back home took a rope and put it on his. foot and pule the elephant out the elephant wanted to be his friend because he saved hime so their friends and the elephant want a big...more
Dolly
Jun 22, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens
This is a very odd story, but is a fun book to look at. The pictures are busy; Chico is trying to detect where the loud noise is coming from and with his tool belt (filled with all sorts of interestingly named tools), he is confident he can fix it.

The source of the noise is very strange indeed, but you can be sure that Chico has a plan. It's a fun story to read aloud, especially with all of the onomatopoeia, and it has (surprisingly) several examples of polite manners that are subtly incorporat...more
Laura Haske
My two-year old son loves this story. I've read it many, many times. He likes watching the monkey investigate the noise and gets a kick out of the tongue-twisting list of tools. For some reason, the noise itself "arooga boom boom clang clang" is hilarious. The best part, however, is the illustration of what is causing the noise. We always stop and laugh together at that page.
Emyrose8
I like this one a lot better than the first. And the pictures are so cute! :) A guaranteed hit with my 5th graders.
Nitza Campos
Another great book for STEM.
Michelle
My five year old son loved this book and even my eight year old daughter who was eves-dropping on our reading enjoyed it a great deal. The illustrations are incredibly in-depth with plenty of things to find and talk about along with a story that had more than one place of 'laugh out loud' funny for the kids. I recommend this book highly and I am always happy to find a story that appeals to my do-it-his-self son and his desire to fiddle with every single thing he can.
Megan
It's been awhile since we've come across a children's book that caused everyone in the family to belly laugh. My three year old could not stop laughing. Same with my 7, 9, 12, 16, and 41 year old. We all laughed and laughed.
The text is funny. The illustrations are hilarious. And there is a surprise that is just so surprising.
Check this one out for your kids. Or buy it; they'll want to read it over and over.
As for you, Chris Monroe--please write more books!
Sarah W
Chico Bon Bon has a vast array of tools available on his belt, enough to solve any problem. However, his chopper, candy finder, pickle picker and jabber can't solve the problem when he can't find where the problem is. Something is booming and clanging all through his house. Children will enjoy the pictures accompanying Chico's search through this silly adventure. This story will appeal to fans of the Scaredy Squirrel series.
Bobby
Not quite on par with the original book, but still dryly funny. Narrates with a deadpan delivery. The volume seemed to focus more on phonology than vocabulary, but practical on both levels. I'd be really interested to see what kids think of these books.

*If I interpreted correctly, there were some Richard Scarry nods given in various illustrations. Maybe an inspiration of the author/illustrator?
Kris
I love Chico Bon Bon! I love that he's named Chico Bon Bon, I love that he's a monkey with a tool belt, I love his tools ("chopper, chipper, bopper, bipper, tacker, clacker, snicker-snacker......"), I love the detailed illustration of his tree house (where I wish I lived) and I love the page where he finds out just exactly what is stuck in his laundry chute, making all the noise. My new fave!
Cory
I've read A LOT of picture books in my various careers, and sometimes I think I get a bit jaded. Although there are things that amuse and delight me, it's pretty rare that anything surprises me. I was surprised by what happened in this book . . . like gasping, delighted surprise when I turned a page. There's a lot to like in this book, and I do! Yay for Chico Bonbon!!!!
Jaime
This book is GREAT!!! It has it all- great story, rhyming, great illustrations, topic of interest to young children (animals with tools!), and it is HILARIOUS!! My son was laughing up a storm, whcih caused me to laugh up a storm. By the end of the book, it was one big giggle-fest in our house! Highly recommended!!
Corrie
If you had heard Betty Bush laughing while reading this book, you would go buy this book in a second! Great pictures, awesome toolbelt, fun for all!

P.S. I can't wait for them to come out with a stuffed animal or even just the toolbelt (as a toy). Kids would go nuts (and admittedly, so would I)!
Eric
A great book to share with a great kid. Take time with it talk about the details and the plans. I gave the first one five stars, which made me wish I could give this one six, bet Chico Bon Bon with his banana cannon could give this book six stars after he divides by seven.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Chico the monkey has a problem. There's a very annoying noise in his tree house. Chico straps on his tool belt and goes in search of the noise. Young tool enthusiasts will delight in this tale of a monkey who searches for and finds a very funny reason for this problem.
Jie Gao
We wish there are more of this monkey. MT built a tool belt using LEGO. He wear it and said that he is pretending to be the monkey.
Daniel
grade:3-5
topic: making observation and prediction, scientific procedule.
machine.

monkey goes around the house with different tools to fix stuffs.
This is a great book when teacher is introducing science.
*first day of science book!
Alison
Chico Bon Bon does it again! He wakes up one morning and hears a loud noise, so he puts on his trusty tool belt (over his pjs) and goes forth to find the source of the problem.
I love the illustrations in these books.
Jessie
This is exactly the kind of book I would have loved as a kid, with tons of tiny details in the pictures. Not so great for storytime, but really clever and cute. I heart Monkey with a Tool Belt!
Scottsdale Public Library
Chico Bon Bon's tool belt has everything a monkey could need to fix anything, but can he find and fix the noise? You'll love the hunt and repair in this fun adventure.

-Jen K.-
Kaethe
The Kit Kat read this to herself waiting for dinner, and then I read it to her again at bedtime. At her request. Funny, but also realistic in how the monkey handles the problem.
Radtin
Chris Monroe is a very clever author. Kids just love this monkey! This is a great book for kids, both the story and the illustrations are top notch.
Krysta
I picked this up the other day and quickly read through it - the illustrations are fun and amusing, and the story is laugh-out-loud adorable.
Jessica
Charming, hilarious, and worth reading just to get to the page where Chico Bon Bon finds out what's clogging his laundry chute.
Emily
Monkey searches EVERYWHERE for what's causing a racket in his house. You'll never guess what's in the laundry chute...
Molly
My son loved the first Monkey with a Tool Belt, but I found it a bit disturbing. On this one, however, we can agree.
April
AWESOME kid book. Especially good for little boys (and their moms). Got this for R's second bday. LOVE all her books!!
Laura Mack
Chico Bon Bon saves a life, uses lots of tools & makes a new friend! Gotta love this monkey.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Chris Monroe's humor and intricate illustrations draw high praise from reviewers and bloggers alike. Chris is also the author and illustrator of Totally Uncool and the long-running comic strip Violet Days. She lives in Duluth, Minnesota.
More about Chris Monroe...
Monkey with a Tool Belt Sneaky Sheep Cookie, the Walker Monkey with a Tool Belt and the Seaside Shenanigans (Carolrhoda Picture Books) Bug on a Bike