Start by marking “The New Inquisition: Understanding and Managing Intellectual Freedom Challenges” as Want to Read:
The New Inquisition: Understanding and Managing Intellectual Freedom Challenges

The New Inquisition: Understanding and Managing Intellectual Freedom Challenges

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
How can you become an effective advocate for intellectual freedom and patron privacy while maintaining a positive relationship with diverse elements of your community? Drawing on his experience as library director, this author advocates assuming a proactive role in every library function, from collection building to community outreach. This approach helps you understand th ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Libraries Unlimited

To ask other readers questions about The New Inquisition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Inquisition

Jessica
Apr 27, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-science
I don't often read my textbooks in their entirety, and this was the first in a long time that I did (for my Censorship, Youth, and the Politics of Reading class). It was so good that I'm actually considering purchasing it for reference when I become a librarian, should I face an intellectual freedom challenge (and undoubtedly I will). This book is very readable, probably due to James LaRue's experience for the past decade as a local newspaper columnist representing the library he is a director of, and dra ...more
Sonia Reppe
Sep 05, 2010 Sonia Reppe rated it liked it
Recommended to Sonia by: For LIS
Intellectual freedom is this idea that everyone has the right to believe what they want, and to have access to other people's ideas and knowledge and the ability to share information.

James LaRue has been a library director in Colorado for many years and his book is about the intellectual freedom challenges that face librarians. The first chapter is all about the history of the 1st amendment. As a grad student, I guess it's good for me to know this history but the chapter was a little boring. The
Leandra Vane
Apr 22, 2015 Leandra Vane rated it it was amazing
While this book is largely intended for use as a textbook in library science studies, I found this book very helpful for my work as a sexuality blogger. The book gives an overview of censorship and indeed is my go-to reference for many discussions regarding censorship. There is clarification and discussion of the first amendment as well as library based documents such as the Library Bill of Rights.

The chapters on Religion and Generations reach further than the walls of the library and I garnere
Ina
Mar 30, 2011 Ina rated it it was amazing
I was introduced to this book when several chapter excerpts were assigned in my YA Services class at UCLA. They were among the most thought provoking, eye opening items I read in library school. I enjoyed them so much that I wanted more...and so I went out and bought the book. James LaRue, as director of the Douglas County Library System, has had to deal with a number of challenges to library materials and has great practical advice about how best to deal with challenges as they occur. More impo ...more
Meagan
Apr 30, 2008 Meagan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Library students, librarians, library users
I read this book for my class in professional principles and ethics, and I was both surprised and thrilled at how readable it is. Even though it was a textbook, albeit a short one, I flew through it in two days. As a graduate student who works full time, this is really saying something!

We here in Colorado are fortunate to call James LaRue one of our local librarians, and as a library director who has faced over 200 challenges to materials, he has a lot to say about the subject. His advice is spe
Amy
Liked this book. It is easy to read and I got some insights I will most definitely use in the future. I really liked what the author had to say about getting out into the community, to me PR through the traditional means and especially through grass roots efforts is among one of the most important things that library managers, supervisors and directors can to. I thought this book did a great job of showing how to demonstrate the value of the public library and having diverse resources for the wh ...more
Colleen
Jun 30, 2015 Colleen rated it liked it
LaRue's experience is interesting to read about, although his formula for dealing with challenges is not realistic or applicable to all libraries,librarians, or challenges.
Vicki
Nov 18, 2014 Vicki added it
This is an eye opening book which talks about the difficulties of running a library and the serving the patrons either by having the materials they want or need or by censoring the materials that are not wanted or needed by one group but are wanted by another group. Being a librarian is a lot harder than I thought. And the library is more of a political atmosphere than I thought....albeit one that is not supposed to be political.
Tami
Sep 08, 2011 Tami rated it it was amazing
I am reading this book again. I read it spring 2009 for libr 200. It is required reading in the class I am taking right now. I still LOVE it. And it retains its 5 star status for me.

I have never been big on heroes. Whenever I was asked who my hero was I never had an easy answer ready. But James LaRue is my hero. He is absolutely amazing.
Michelle Young
Jun 16, 2008 Michelle Young rated it liked it
Shelves: libraries
Interesting subject...I regret that I only realized how foundational intellectual freedom is to librarianship near graduation! This book is one of the most current on the topic, by a Colorado public library director. However, I have to say the writing is a little local newspaperish--as in, seems like it could be targeting a high school audience.
Cody
Mar 08, 2009 Cody rated it really liked it
Well-written and buttressed by great, convincing arguments and analogies. LaRue's passion for defending freedom gives him the much lauded and much earned status as a crusader for intellectual freedom. A must for any librarian/information professional or anyone committed to fighting the good fight for intellectual freedom.
Venessa
Sep 29, 2007 Venessa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: librarians, intellectual freedom advocates, anyone interested in censorship issues
I'm reading this book for my oh-so-rad Intellectual Freedom class. The author is the Director of a small CO library system and knows his stuff. I'm in Chapter 2, which deals with religion and intellectual freedom; Chapter 1 dealt with a brief history of censorship in the US. Very good and important stuff.
Gina
Aug 31, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A well written reference book for any librarian or other library staff. The author has personally experienced the examples provided. He offers an interesting approach to dealing with censorship challenges faced by many librarians. Examples are provided and how he dealt with them.
Katie
Really useful reference. Samples of letters to concerned patrons (requesting removal of materials, internet filtering, etc.) very good, as is the section on library community advocacy.
Katy
Feb 11, 2013 Katy added it
Shelves: library-school
I really want to read this book, but what are the chances that I'll read this book over the summer when I didn't read it during the quarter for class like I was supposed to?
KathyP
Jan 31, 2008 KathyP rated it really liked it
Written by our local Douglas County Librarian, this is a thought provoking look at how libraries choose books to stock,and what public concerns they address daily in their jobs.
Barbara
Apr 09, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
There is a lot of good information and practical advice in this book. It is more suited to public libraries than school libraries.
Jeane
Oct 13, 2013 Jeane rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-reading
This was a school book, and as far as school books go, it was very readable. I actually, gasp, enjoyed it!
Erin
Feb 04, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: library_services
book challenges, censorship, intellectual freedom, library bill of rights
Laura Fultz
Apr 12, 2015 Laura Fultz rated it really liked it
Read for LIS590IE - very well-written with great real-life examples
David Hoff
David Hoff rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
D
D added it
Mar 16, 2016
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
M. N.
M. N. added it
Jan 21, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jan 27, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015