One Palestine, Complete: Jews and Arabs Under the British Mandate

One Palestine, Complete: Jews and Arabs Under the British Mandate

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A landmark book, One Palestine, Complete explores the tumultuous period before the creation of the state of Israel. This was the time of the British Mandate, when Britain promised both Jews and Arabs that they would inherit the land, and thus set in motion the conflict that haunts the region to this day. Photos.
Published September 5th 2000 by St. Martins Press-3pl (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about One Palestine, Complete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Palestine, Complete

The Almond Tree by Michelle Cohen CorasantiMornings in Jenin by Susan AbulhawaGaza Writes Back by Refaat AlareerFast Times in Palestine by Pamela J. OlsonThe Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine by Ilan Pappé
Books on the Israel Palestine Conflict
60th out of 188 books — 479 voters
A Damaged Mirror by Yael ShaharThe Israel/Palestine Question by Ilan PappéPerfidy by Ben HechtThe Answer by Ze ShemerA History of Modern Palestine by Ilan Pappé
Jewish point of view
10th out of 15 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Charles
segev continues his career of iconoclasm within israeli historiography with this noted book covering the critical period of british rule. in a rhapsodic style the book slays a key boogey-man of much israeli scholarship on the mandate: the supposed opposition of the british to zionism and its project of erecting a state. instead he argues that though key british figures in government were often motivated by anti-semitic notions of jewish power in the world, this paradoxically led them to generall...more
Gaff
Excellent history of the British Mandate in Palestine between the world wars but ending in 1948 before the nakba (the flight and/or expulsion of the Palestinian refugees) and the creation of the state of Israel (or Is-surreal as we know it in my house).

This, written by a Jewish Israeli journalist, is also a history of the rise in influence of the Zionist movement from the late 19th century onwards, achieved partly by the small core of the movement's leadership by indulging the gullibility and la...more
Pete Sikora
A fascinating read, told with acid compassion. Ok, so I stole that line from the Times' review on the book jacket. Sue me. No, actually, please don't sue me.

Anyway, the times' review is a great one liner about the book. One Palestine, Complete offers a range: street level story-telling, mostly from primary sources, to opinion. Of course, the topic may be the most argued history in the world. But this seems like a real story.

However, I don't think I agree with the thesis, which is that the pre-...more
Meirav Rath
Dec 22, 2007 Meirav Rath rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History fans, Israelies (it's a must)
A wonderful read; educational, well written, interesting. If you want to learn how situations got to be what they are today, this book is a mighty good start since the Palestinian-Israeli conflict owes a lot of its existence to the British mandate in Palestine...
Brett
Okay, so I read about 30 pages, decided the author was thoroughly biased and boring and gave up reading it.
Jim Leffert
Israeli journalist Tom Segev offers a 520-page history of the 31-year British Mandate in Palestine that is both panoramic and intimate. Perhaps his main thesis, stated on p. 490, is that “Once the Zionist Movement came to Palestine with the intention of creating an independent state with a Jewish majority, war (that is, between Jews and Arabs) was inevitable.” The early parts of the book, especially, read like watching people setting out on a journey that you know is going to lead to a train wre...more
Lynn
Second update 8-2010:::: ok, so I picked this book back up and I must rescind my previous comments. Now that I am reading A Peace to End All Peace by David Fromkin I find One Palestine, Complete to be absolutely necessary. As you get further along into the book (@page 270-310) it starts to pick up and the stories told are more interesting up close and personal with how the British were challenged by their new found protectorate and the posturing that the early Zionist and Arabs maneuvered about....more
Anthony Nelson
There's lots of great information and stories here, but the author lets his personal opinions of certain historical figures bleed through in a way I didn't care for- if you think someone is racist, show us evidence and let us decide for ourselves.

The book also lost the thread of the narrative a bit towards the end, focusing much more on anecdotes and experiences than what was actually happening and why- I needed to go elsewhere for context.

Still, a useful and interesting guide to Palestine bef...more
Ian Chapman
Not an easy read at first, perhaps translated a bit too closely from the original Hebrew. The Israeli author describes the three way relationship between British, Arabs and Jews in Mandate Palestine. The Jews are given the most positive reference! Even so, it seems quite new for an Israeli historian to acknowledge non-jewish continuities in geographical Palestine. Some of the anecdotes from the Mandate society show a formerly little known point of view, that of the town-dwelling middle-class Jew...more
Marit
This book was packed with historical details but the pace and chapter sections of the book do not proceed smoothly. It was hard to remember places, names, dates, etc. since it all felt jumbled together. Many times organizations and people were introduced as if the reader had some prior knowledge of the history. Segev does his best to portray all sides but usually most of the detail come from the Jewish history of that time. I did not mind reading this book and I do feel edified but I wouldn't re...more
Absurdfarce
Very strong history of Palestine between the end of the war and emergence of Israel. In addition to reporting the thoughts and actions of the political figures which governed the area at the time this account also makes strong use of diaries and other writings from average citizens living in Palestine. Segev also strikes a strong balance, giving a complete and well-rounded picture of both Arab and Jew. Reading this history (admittedly with the benefit of hindsight) one can see the decay of the d...more
Paul Harris
A superb account of the background to and implications of the British rule in Palestine 1917-1948. Completely unbiased in his appraisal, Segev doesn't shy away from either the Zionists own failings, the Arabs' misguided ineptitude, or the British accountability for the mess which is still obviously needing resolving in Israel-Palestine today. Very thorough and briliantly written. If you want a good understanding of how this lengthy conflict really began, this is the book to read.
Anthony
Segev's book is still one of the better general histories on the Mandate. The book is especially good at offering vignettes detailing what life was like for the Arab, Jewish and British populations during the Mandate era. His characterization of the Mandate's end, however, is perhaps a bit too descriptive. Segev is a journalist originally so the reader should keep in mind that sometimes he is interested in telling a good story which is why he is prone to generalization.
Saee
A well-written, anecdotal history of Palestine under British leadership. I was initially worried it might be a biased account since it was written by an Israeli writer, but I was pleasantly surprised at his even-handed description of events. The parallels between the events that took place back then under British control to the events that are currently taking place in Iraq under American control are chilling in their similarities.
Max
Het is een interessant boek waarin de pre-Israelische zionistische samenleving in Brits Palestina wordt beschreven. Maar, ondanks de ondertitel, behandeld het de Arabische inwoners van Brits Palestina nauwelijks. Dit terwijl de Arabische bevolking de meerderheid vormde. Daarmee laat Tom Segev zien dat hij niet in staat is de zionistische kaders te ontstijgen. Maar daarbinnen gaat Segev wel tot het uiterste.
Philipp Wehmann
Wer den israelisch.palestinensischen Konflikt verstehen möchte, lese dieses Buch. Informativ und darüber hinaus gut geschrieben unter Verwendung interessanter Quellen. Eine Empfehlung, die noch deutlicher hätte ausfallen können, wenn Segev sich ein wenig kürzer gefasst hätte. Zudem fehlt ein Resumee, das Buch endet doch zu abrupt und hinterlässt den Wunsch nach einer zusammenfassenden Beurteilung.

Nina
Jan 14, 2008 Nina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in the history of Israel/Palestine/Middle East conflict
June 07: I'm only a little way through a very long book. There are some interesting stories - I like my history with stories - but also a lot of facts which overwhelm me. I'll update this once finished.

Jan 08: I put it down and just couldn't pick it back up. Too dry. I'm not enough of a history to plough through it.
Bradley Farless
Well written and easy to read, almost like a novel. I wish there was a little more explanation of who certain people were, but overall this is an excellent book about the mandate period of Palestine. It covers the period between the British invasion and the fall of the Ottoman Empire to the British pull-out in 1948.
D. Ennis
This was a fascinating account of Palestine under the British Mandate. A must read for anyone who wants to understand the Middle East.
Ken
Very interesting book on the final days of palestine and the subsequent creation of the state of israel.
Janie Lee
Tom Segev's books are always enlightening, well-researched and well-written. This one especially so.
Justin Hudnall
One of the best, most concise and readable histories on the clusterfuck of post-WWII Palestine.
Mohamed
How it all started! A very good book describing Palestine under the British Mandate.
Ellen Shachter
Incredibly informative and well researched book on the British Mandate in Palestine.
Irma Akcay
Great book on the true history, and cause of the conflict in that region.
Bill Gorham
Non-fiction that reads as smoothly as any good story.
Bob
Next book group fare. Well written thus far.
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Barış
Barış is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Zuzanna Jakubowska
Zuzanna Jakubowska marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Page Count for ISBN 0805048480 2 10 Oct 06, 2013 01:49PM
  • The Iron Wall: Israel and the Arab World
  • Fateful Triangle: The United States, Israel and the Palestinians
  • After the Reich: The Brutal History of the Allied Occupation
  • City of Oranges: An Intimate History of Arabs and Jews in Jaffa
  • Palestine and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: A History with Documents
Tom Segev (Hebrew: תום שגב‎) is an Israeli historian, author and journalist. He is associated with Israel's so-called New Historians, a group challenging many of the country's traditional narratives.
More about Tom Segev...
1967: Israel, the War, and the Year that Transformed the Middle East The Seventh Million: The Israelis and the Holocaust Simon Wiesenthal: The Life and Legends 1949: The First Israelis Elvis in Jerusalem: Post-Zionism and the Americanization of Israel