The Israel-Palestine Conflict: One Hundred Years of War

The Israel-Palestine Conflict: One Hundred Years of War

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  9 reviews
James L. Gelvin's new account of the century-old conflict between Israelis and Palestinians presents a compelling, accessible and up-to-the-moment introduction for students and general readers. Placing events in the disputed area within the framework of global history, the book skillfully interweaves biographical sketches, eyewitness accounts, poetry, fiction and official...more
Published August 1st 2005 by Cambridge University Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Israel-Palestine Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Israel-Palestine Conflict

Inge
This was a very good introduction to the Israel-Palestine conflict, especially for someone who knows very little about it and does not come from a social sciences background. I especially liked the beginning which puts both the Israeli and Palestinian national movements in the context of nationalism and the modern state. Further along it became a bit more focused on the political happenings (which is of course understandable) and I lost interest a bit. It does strive to be very objective (I thin...more
Katie
Sep 15, 2009 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie by: Shaul Mishal
Shelves: class-readings
The beginning of the book focused on the nationalist project of both the Jews and the Palestinians - and the creation of both nations. Gelvin underscores the fact that prior to the Zionist/Nationalist movement, diasporic Jews tended to view themselves as part of their territorial nation, not a broader, religious nation. In fact, he cites an author who bemoans the creation of the Jewish nation, for no person ought to belong to two nations - meaning that it was an either/or situation. For the Pale...more
Scott
Gelvin is a great writer who excels writing about complicated history in a very readable way. I've read the second edition of The Modern Middle East: A History as well as The Arab Uprisings, and he has a similar style in each of these books: explaining the events in the context of world-historical developments, with a touch of humor.

This is mostly good, but sometimes the blow-by-blow of the story is sacrificed for the thematic focus. In this book, his major theme is nationalism, and how both Isr...more
Ben
Jun 29, 2008 Ben rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ben by: Max Gasteen
This book was great. I think it is fairly typical in the US to see this conflict in the historical context of the end of the Holocaust and World War II. Unfortunately, this is a very short-sighted view.

Also, a failing of many Americans is that we tend to see Arabs as a singular block. Saudis, Syrians, Jordanians, Egyptians, Lebanese, etc... they are all the same. Palestinians are just another subset of Arabs and they all have the same interests.

This book puts both of those ideas to rest and is a...more
Bram Hubbell
Gelvin does a wonderful job of explaining the broad factors that have shaped the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. You won't walk away from this book with lots of names and dates, but that it not Gelvin's style.
Maeve
Not my usual thing but feeling the need to educate myself. Informative, oddly even has the odd joke.
Shyam Sundar
The book is neutral in its tone, and the author is not partisan in his opinions. His introduction of Zionism and its surge among the Jews of Europe is fascinating. He presents the most important facts of the wars and the peace processes between the Arabs (particularly the Palestinians) and the Israelis without confusing the readers in a web of complexity. This book was prescribed as the primary texts for one of my courses, and I think it's a damn good choice by my professor.
Kristi
This has turned out to be a really good work. Gelvin's approach to the subject as a conflict of nationalisms is useful for helping students step outside their ideological biases and consider the subject from different perspectives. He does a good job of being balanced in his discussion, and he brings in a wide variety of primary source materials. My criticism is that his tone is light and occasionally glib, which I find difficult to swallow as I'm reading the book.
Pauline
Sep 13, 2011 Pauline is currently reading it
Excellent primer on the subject. Lots of new insight, despite covering a topic that has been well covered.
Mike Tallon
Mike Tallon marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Lee
Lee is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Lucia
Lucia is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Edsel Mabilin
Edsel Mabilin marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Marijn
Marijn marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Patrick
Patrick is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
Jp
Jp marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Tessy
Tessy marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Ceci Lia
Ceci Lia marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Allison McMahon
Allison McMahon marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Matteo
Matteo marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jasper Delva
Jasper Delva marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Abfield
Abfield marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Modern Middle East: A History The Arab Uprisings: What Everyone Needs to Know The Teaching Company - “Palestine, Zionism, and the Arab-Israeli Conflict” 24-part lecture series Divided Loyalties: Nationalism and Mass Politics in Syria at the Close of Empire Nationalism In The Arab Middle East (The Contemporary Middle East)