Start by marking “The Israel-Palestine Conflict: One Hundred Years of War” as Want to Read:
The Israel-Palestine Conflict: One Hundred Years of War

The Israel-Palestine Conflict: One Hundred Years of War

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  12 reviews
James Gelvin, a premier historian of the modern Middle East, offers a new approach to the Palestine-Israel conflict. While the book charts the history of the conflict, and sets the story within its political framework, the chronological coverage will be linked to universal themes, nationalism and colonialism, which are used as building blocks for the narrative. The author ...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Cambridge University Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Israel-Palestine Conflict, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Israel-Palestine Conflict

Inge
This was a very good introduction to the Israel-Palestine conflict, especially for someone who knows very little about it and does not come from a social sciences background. I especially liked the beginning which puts both the Israeli and Palestinian national movements in the context of nationalism and the modern state. Further along it became a bit more focused on the political happenings (which is of course understandable) and I lost interest a bit. It does strive to be very objective (I thin ...more
Katie
Sep 15, 2009 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie by: Shaul Mishal
Shelves: class-readings
The beginning of the book focused on the nationalist project of both the Jews and the Palestinians - and the creation of both nations. Gelvin underscores the fact that prior to the Zionist/Nationalist movement, diasporic Jews tended to view themselves as part of their territorial nation, not a broader, religious nation. In fact, he cites an author who bemoans the creation of the Jewish nation, for no person ought to belong to two nations - meaning that it was an either/or situation. For the Pale ...more
Scott
Gelvin is a great writer who excels writing about complicated history in a very readable way. I've read the second edition of The Modern Middle East: A History as well as The Arab Uprisings, and he has a similar style in each of these books: explaining the events in the context of world-historical developments, with a touch of humor.

This is mostly good, but sometimes the blow-by-blow of the story is sacrificed for the thematic focus. In this book, his major theme is nationalism, and how both Isr
Ben
Jun 29, 2008 Ben rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ben by: Max Gasteen
This book was great. I think it is fairly typical in the US to see this conflict in the historical context of the end of the Holocaust and World War II. Unfortunately, this is a very short-sighted view.

Also, a failing of many Americans is that we tend to see Arabs as a singular block. Saudis, Syrians, Jordanians, Egyptians, Lebanese, etc... they are all the same. Palestinians are just another subset of Arabs and they all have the same interests.

This book puts both of those ideas to rest and is a
Jim Lewis
This is a textbook, rather than a history for general audiences, but it is extremely approachable and reads like the latter. Because it was published eight years ago, it is a bit dated now.

Nevertheless, it is an excellent introduction to how we got to "now" in Palestine and Israel. It is even-handed, taking an outside view of the many factions that have fought over the future of this land during the past century.

It includes a timeline of events, biographies of key figures, and glossary of terms,
Bram Hubbell
Gelvin does a wonderful job of explaining the broad factors that have shaped the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. You won't walk away from this book with lots of names and dates, but that it not Gelvin's style.
Lee
This presupposes a bit more background knowledge than, say, Martin Bunton's "very short introduction" (which I also recently read), but it also offers a bit more depth and context. Gelvin looks at the I-P conflict largely through the lens of 19th- and 20th-century nationalism, and he is refreshingly clear-eyed about nationalist myths on both sides.
Maeve
Not my usual thing but feeling the need to educate myself. Informative, oddly even has the odd joke.
Shyam Sundar
The book is neutral in its tone, and the author is not partisan in his opinions. His introduction of Zionism and its surge among the Jews of Europe is fascinating. He presents the most important facts of the wars and the peace processes between the Arabs (particularly the Palestinians) and the Israelis without confusing the readers in a web of complexity. This book was prescribed as the primary texts for one of my courses, and I think it's a damn good choice by my professor.
Kristi
This has turned out to be a really good work. Gelvin's approach to the subject as a conflict of nationalisms is useful for helping students step outside their ideological biases and consider the subject from different perspectives. He does a good job of being balanced in his discussion, and he brings in a wide variety of primary source materials. My criticism is that his tone is light and occasionally glib, which I find difficult to swallow as I'm reading the book.
Anne Coneeney
This book goes back in time explaining the history of both cultures,
and brings the reader to where it is today Extremely informative, well written
with maps to follow along as you read.
Timely experience for me! So happy I took the time to educate myself to
better understand the conflicts of today
Pauline
Sep 13, 2011 Pauline is currently reading it
Excellent primer on the subject. Lots of new insight, despite covering a topic that has been well covered.
Loren
Loren marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Arjan Kuil
Arjan Kuil marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Haneen Helal
Haneen Helal is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Hussain Khan
Hussain Khan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Megan Geissler
Megan Geissler marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Hazem Ibrahim
Hazem Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Daniel Skaf
Daniel Skaf marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Ahmed Orban
Ahmed Orban marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Jagati Bagchi
Jagati Bagchi marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Sara Salim
Sara Salim marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Danya Elbaz
Danya Elbaz is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
Kristen Dunder
Kristen Dunder marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
  • A History of the Modern Middle East
  • Righteous Victims: A History of the Zionist-Arab Conflict, 1881-1998
  • Resurrecting Empire: Western Footprints and America's Perilous Path in the Middle East
  • Defending the West: A Critique of Edward Said's Orientalism
  • Against All Hope: A Memoir of Life in Castro's Gulag
  • Arab and Jew: Wounded Spirits in a Promised Land, Revised and Updated
  • Hollow Land: Israel's Architecture of Occupation
  • Exposing the Real Che Guevara: And the Useful Idiots Who Idolize Him
  • A History of Israel: From the Rise of Zionism to Our Time (Second Edition, Revised and Updated)
  • A History of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
  • The Israel-Arab Reader: A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict
  • Agent Storm: My Life Inside al Qaeda and the CIA
  • Drinking the Sea at Gaza: Days and Nights in a Land Under Siege
The Modern Middle East: A History The Arab Uprisings: What Everyone Needs to Know The Teaching Company - “Palestine, Zionism, and the Arab-Israeli Conflict” 24-part lecture series Divided Loyalties: Nationalism and Mass Politics in Syria at the Close of Empire Nationalism In The Arab Middle East (The Contemporary Middle East)