Start by marking “American Pie” as Want to Read:
American Pie

American Pie

The lives of the three McBroom sisters of Tallulah, Tennessee, were tangled before the eldest, Eleanor, discovered their mother hanging from the Venetian blinds and the years have done little to comb out the knots. Now a drunken encounter with the midnight train has left brash, much-married Jo-Nell near death, compelling agoraphobic Eleanor to summon marine biologist Fred

Published September 5th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about American Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Pie

Joan Eisenstodt
Apr 30, 2007 Joan Eisenstodt rated it it was amazing
Oh how I love Southern writers and books about the South - the eccentricities of the people. This book and others I've read made me laugh out loud and then cry - the situations are all so familiar even if we've never lived them. The human condition explored.
Ginger
Sep 14, 2012 Ginger rated it it was ok
I've read quite a few from author Michael Lee West. I usually love a great sprawling family drama, especially when that family drama takes place in the South, but I've got to say, this one wasn't my favorite. I don't appreciate much language or crudeness, especially if it does nothing to really add to the charachters or the story.

I got stuck waiting unexpectedly, my iPad was dead and I had this one checked out from the library, or honestly, I might not have finished it.

Skip this and read Crazy L
Karla
Sep 23, 2009 Karla rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1999
My favorite quote from the book: "Oh, you just had to wonder. You raise them half decent and they grow up and leave. They move to Miami or California - someplace with gourmet restaurants and nude beaches because you've reared them to cook good and be liberal-minded. It's just the opposite with your failures - them kids stick to your tail like a cocklebur. You'd think it would be the other way around, but it's not."
Kylie
Jan 08, 2008 Kylie rated it it was amazing
can't get enough of this author- loved it along with the rest.
Kasey
Jan 12, 2009 Kasey rated it it was ok
This is the second book I've read by this author, and although it American Pie is better than She Flew the Coop, it still wasn't good. It semed to be building up to an interesting tale, but then it just ended. The characters were quite interesting, but the story fell flat. Apparently I was one of the few who didn't like it though, so if you enjoy southern, gentle fiction you may want to check it out from the library.
Cynthia
Jul 16, 2009 Cynthia rated it liked it
After reading "Crazy Ladies" by the same author, I thought I was in for another dissatisfying book but overall I was pleased. The book is about 3 sisters raised by their grandmother--all women are very different with their own set of issues. Well each made their own mistakes and had their faults, they were still likeable characters. Also, there were some pretty hilarious parts. My favorite sister was the oldest, Eleanor who had some serious OCD issues but her brick purse story was a laugh.
Melody Mees Bass
Dec 13, 2014 Melody Mees Bass rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
I really enjoyed this book. It was very interesting as are all of Michael Lee West's books. Well devo
eloped characters and insight into the relationships between women in a family,particularly that of sisters. I highly recommend this book to anyone, especially anyone who has an interest in Southern culture.
Kathy
Jan 06, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women
I like interesting characters. This book had them. Mainly, three quirky sisters with a loving grandmother all set in small town Tennessee. I loved the southern foods and customs and idioms found in this book. Wish I had a grandmother like Minerva Pray. I know she would fix me my favorite casserole for supper.
ChilliDeadpool
Shelves: fiction, women, southern
Southern zaniness!
Katie
Dec 27, 2013 Katie rated it liked it
I enjoyed it but had expected more from the reviews I read.
Erin
May 02, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, 2007
Light read, but not one of her better novels.
Alka Upadhyay
Dec 29, 2013 Alka Upadhyay rated it liked it
Once again if I could give 3.5 stars that would be my rating.
Nicole
Mar 31, 2015 Nicole rated it liked it
I’ve never heard of the author, Michael Lee West, before, but after picking up this book, I found her writing style to be refreshing and heartwarming. But unfortunately, other than that, I don’t have much to say about it. The book was good, but it didn’t exactly grab my attention. Every time I put it down to do something else, even if only for a few minutes, I’d go back to the book having already forgotten everything that had happened before I stopped. I’d have to go back another paragraph just ...more
Michelle
Jan 17, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
The McBroom sisters have dealt with tragedy and bad luck for most of their lives and each sister has "managed" differently. Freddie escaped, first to med school, and when things went wrong with a theft from a cadaver, she broke her engagement and ran off to California, reinventing her life in a small town as a whale researcher with another researcher becoming her husband. Eleanor has retreated inward, becoming agoraphobic and obsessively collecting crime statistics. Jo-Nell became the social ...more
karenbee
May 26, 2009 karenbee rated it liked it
Michael Lee West writes chicklit-ish Southern lit with a distinct tang to it; she usually writes interesting female characters, and I enjoy reading her books. They're reliable comfort-reading. It doesn't hurt that there is usually food-talk involved, as well. I mean, unless you get really hungry at the mention of food, in which case I guess her books could lead to weight gain.

"American Pie" isn't my favorite West book, but it hit all the points I expected it to. There is a POV change with each n
I really like Michael lee West books. This one was not as well written as her others, but I do believe this was her first book. The characters pulled you in and the southern charm was there, the problem was the ending. The book focuses on a family curse and the lives of three sisters and their grandmother. There is a lot of build-up to just leave you hanging with out a satisfactory conclusion to the story.
Judith
Dec 12, 2011 Judith rated it really liked it
I have previously read Mermaids in the Basement and found it interesting enough to want to read more by this author. Not chick lit but not literary either, West manages a clever blend of the two.

I do enjoy "southern fiction" and the family expectations and entanglements. This story of 3 sisters faced with some critical life decisions runs the gamut of emotions and remains entertaining from start to finish.

I'm anxious to read another.
Sarah Jamison
I won't exactly say that I had high hopes going into this book, but the previous two West novels I've read were really good, if a little predictable. This one was a shadow of both of them. It had the structure of Crazy Ladies, with the nuggets of a plot that becomes Mermaids in the Basement. My time spent reading it was spent well enough, but it was 10% set up, 10% resolution and 80% fluff and food. Meh.
Denise
Oct 11, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
I have read quite a few books by this author, and remember liking this book and wondering why no one ever requested it on another site. But it's been a while and I couldn't remember the plot. I just read the reviews on Amazon and nothing rang a bell. So what can I say? Enjoyable but not earth-shattering memorable.
Carrielyn
Feb 25, 2010 Carrielyn rated it liked it
I've gotten so used to action-packed as of late that a slower, more thoughtful book took some getting used to. It's a relatively short book but it took me quite awhile to get through it. I picked out this book after reading a couple of other books set in the South (Joshilyn Jackson's books). "American Pie" just can't compete with "There are Gods in Alabama".
Robin Arnold
Aug 21, 2015 Robin Arnold rated it liked it
If you think this book is about three sisters who live together somewhere they can wear bikinis and lay in the sun together, you'd be wrong. Wrong season, wrong climate, wrong premise. I enjoy this author. This was an exasperating read, the story is basically misery loves company. I don't know any southerners like this and I lived 18 years in Texas and six in Virginia.
Kshappert
Decent book about 3 sisters who take decidedly different paths in life after their mother's suicide. one flees her Southern roots to study whales in California, one becomes the town harlot, and one becomes convinced the world is a scary dangerous place and begins keeping a scrapbook of every bad thing that happens within a 50 mile radius. Entertaining enough read by a very Southern author.
Teresa
Jan 24, 2008 Teresa rated it it was ok
This book was good enough for me to finish, but it wasn't one of my favorites. The relationship between Minerva and her 3 granddaughters was without a doubt the essence of the book. I did find that fun to read because it reminded me so much of the way my Momma is with my daughters. I know that if I weren't here for them, she would be 100% devoted to taking care of them.
Becky
Feb 23, 2016 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. An OK book of 3 sisters, each with their own hurdles keeping them from moving on in life. They've been dealt some raw deals; another tragedy brings them back together, and hoping to move on to new stages. Enjoyed all the characters, the story was OK. Head to Landvick or Flagg for more emotion.
Mar 07, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure this book has wide appeal, but it really spoke to me. For me it is a story about home and family. It's about loving where you are from and hating it at the same time and also about making yourself at home wherever you land.
Jonna
Mar 08, 2013 Jonna rated it it was amazing
Micheal Lee West's books are a pure pleasure to read. They are quirky, Southern Gothic but the writing is so wonderful, you just feel like you've been asked to climb in a car and take a wild ride, with West at the helm. I love every book of hers I have read. And I think you will too!
Greta
Feb 07, 2015 Greta rated it liked it
Nashville is mentioned with enthusiasm & often in this book by Michael Lee West. Her characters are natives of Tennessee and very entertaining in a variety of ways. Extended our recent trip to this wonderful place by holding this novel close. Fun!
Carly
Jul 28, 2010 Carly added it
I didn't finish this book... I barely started it, and it was so vulgar and crude I couldn't go any further. :P
Kitty
Jan 26, 2015 Kitty rated it liked it
I really loved the characters . And, omg, I have had so many visits to my family in Tullulah. Or the real life version of it, any way.
But I found the ending to be anticlimactic.
  • Dreaming Southern
  • Moon Women
  • Bound South
  • Bingo Queens of Paradise: A Novel
  • Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #1)
  • The Three Miss Margarets
  • My Heart May Be Broken, but My Hair Still Looks Great (Domestic Equalizers Book 2)
  • Swimming Upstream, Slowly
  • Mama Makes Up Her Mind and Other Dangers of Southern Living
  • Wedding Belles
  • Nothing But You: Love Stories From The New Yorker
  • The Cotton Queen
Michael Lee West grew up on the Gulf Coast with a wild tribe of Southern cooks. She lives on a farm near Nashville with her family. Michael is the author of Crazy Ladies, Mad Girls in Love, She Flew the Coop, American Pie, Mad Girls in Love, Mermaids in the Basement, Consuming Passions, and Gone With a Handsomer Man. Her new novel, A Teeny Bit of Trouble, is the second installment in the Teeny ...more
More about Michael Lee West...

“I was tired of well-meaning folks, telling me it was time I got over being heartbroke. When somebody tells you that, a little bell ought to ding in your mind. Some people don't know grief from garlic grits. There's somethings a body ain't meant to get over. No I'm not suggesting you wallow in sorrow, or let it drag on; no I am just saying it never really goes away. (A death in the family) is like having a pile of rocks dumped in your front yard. Every day you walk out and see them rocks. They're sharp and ugly and heavy. You just learn to live around them the best way you can. Some people plant moss or ivy; some leave it be. Some folks take the rocks one by one, and build a wall.” 56 likes
“This is how the soul heals. it thaws out bit by bit, the way the ground warms after a hard winter. you notive the sun or hear the whippoorwill calling across the flats. You sweep your porch, go drink coffee in the shade of the trumpet vines. You have days where you want to lay down and die, but what you learn is this: As long as there's somebody left on this earth who loves you, it's reason enough to stay alive. You don't give in to your broke heart-- you just let the wide, cracked space fill up again.” 13 likes