Start by marking “Ein Wilder Tag” as Want to Read:
Ein Wilder Tag

Ein Wilder Tag

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Welcome to Q Road, in Greenland Township, where the old way of life is colliding with the new. On the same acres where farmers once displaced Potawatomi Indians, suburban developers now supplant farmers and Q road (or "Queer Road," as the locals call it) has become home to an unlikely mix of people. The neighbors include a sixth-generation farmer and his rifle-toting child ...more
Paperback
Published by Knaur (first published August 19th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ein Wilder Tag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ein Wilder Tag

Jason Pettus

I recently found myself with the opportunity to interview revered author Bonnie Jo Campbell for the CCLaP Podcast; and so before doing so, I thought it would be beneficial to read her two most popular books besides the one I've already read (2011's Once Upon a River, that is, considered by many to be a fro
Tricia
Sequel to Once Upon A River that was written first. Another great story about quirky characters surviving outside established norms. In this book they are connected to the farm land and rather than the river. The suburbs are encroaching and a way of live is disappearing...Sound familiar? The main character didn't grab me like Margo, and I was sad that Margo didn't appear in the book, but still a great read. Wonder if she will appear in a future book?
Betsy
Jan 26, 2012 Betsy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: siblings, friends, especially Michiganders and other midwesterners
Recommended to Betsy by: Heather
To make things a bit confusing: Bonnie Jo Campbell wrote this novel BEFORE her latest novel "Once Upon A River" (which I really liked. Both share some of the same characters. BUT the latest novel "Ounce Upon a River" is a prequel to this novel "Q Road." To further confuse things, I happened to read these books out of the sequence (in which they were written).

That said, one of the main characters in this novel (Q Road)is the daughter of the main character in the other novel (Once Upon a River) w
Amy
A quiet book about a group of neighbors in rural Michigan. Rachel is the closest to being our protagonist, and she is quite a character with her constant swearing, gardening, and rifle-carrying attitude and she's only 17. Her mother killed a man and disappeared, leaving Rachel on her own at 15 when George, the main landowner in the area, takes an interest in her. Each chapter could focus on any one of this town (even one chapter about Grey Cat), and we get to know their individual shameful desir ...more
Schuyler
After American Salvage, Q Road is probably Bonnie Jo Campbell's strongest book. I recently interviewed this past summer for Knee-Magazine, so I had the chance to read her entire catalog.

Q Road is a novel told from multiple view points, with each chapter devoted to a single character. As the story moves along, the characters lives begin to intermingle. It is at once about a small Michigan township and of course, like any great story, it is also about the world. While the novel is heavy on charac
Janice
I almost put this book down, as it started very slow for me. But I was glad I didn't, really enjoyed it as I got further into the story. This book tells of the lives of people in a small rural area in Michigan, and what happens over the course of one day, October 9, 1999. The action is centered around folks who live along one rural road, mostly farmers, and fills in background for each of them as the day progresses. What I found most engaging was the story of Rachel, a rough and tough young girl ...more
William
WOW! I haven't read anything like this in a long time. Q Road, nicknamed Queer Road, is populated by the most peculiar characters ever assembled in a novel. Well, maybe not EVER, but it is certainly up there near the top. While the story takes place on one day, the back stories propel the reader forward. I sometimes can't believe how many fine writers are out there without a huge audience. This book could easily be included in the canon of modern American fiction.
Olga
I just love it when the heros and heroines in a book are ugly and beautiful at the same time. I love it when it's about people who make mistakes and suffer them or even suffer other people's mistakes, but find some hope and love even if it's of an unusual sort or kind of twisted. And I love it when I sympathize with a character who I'd probably hate in real life. And I like beautiful writing. I think I'm hooked on Bonnie Jo Campbell.
Vicki
An absolute must if you've read, "Once Upon A River." Main character, Margo Crane is pregnant at the end of "Once Upon a River", and 'Q Road' picks up with Rachel Crane, her daughter as a teenager living amongst the river and farmlands of Greenland Township, near Kalamazoo. You're introduced to the neighbors and what a cast of characters they are! The land holds secrets of the days when the Pottawatomie farmed these parts and gives a purpose to Rachel, as land is everything to her. Rachel and he ...more
Karen
Only picked this up because I needed a “Q” for an A-Z reading challenge I’m doing this year. It’s set in Michigan, so I connected with that part. I really liked it, then there was a chapter where horrible things were happening and I almost put it down I was so upset, but I’m glad I pushed on because by the end I liked it again.
Patti K
This 2002 novel is actually the sequel to her recent one, Once Upon A River. Fascinating look
at these off-beat characters on a small family farm near the Kalamazoo River. Very absorbing
story with an inspiring ending. I recommend her books highly.
Steve
Engaging tale of a day (October 9, 1999) in the life of a community of friends and neighbors, all quirky in their own way, in the small (formerly) farming town of Greenland, Michigan. The story centers around George Harland, a quietly compassionate and hard-working fiftyish farmer who wants nothing more of life than the hardscrabble pleasure he gets from his land and his somewhat undefinable, obsessive attachment to his unusual, profane, reclusive young wife Rachel Crane, a young woman, a girl r ...more
Julie
A sequel to "Once Upon A River," although this book was actually written first. I noticed a couple of small inconsistencies between the two stories, probably because I read this one right on the heels of the other, but those were only a small distraction.

"Q Road" takes place over the course of a single day, featuring a handful of rural Michigan neighbors. Each character's personal history and secrets interwine with the others, adding layer upon layer to the story, and fleshing out each individua
Elise
The plot was not believable in the slightest, but the book was a great read. The jacket described the characters as "eccentric" but that's not the right word. Some were ornery, some desperate, some hateful, but I wanted to know what would happen to all of them. What was believable was the setting, both the inhabited and uninhabited parts of the countryside.

One random thing that stuck out to me was the lack of technology. The story is set in the late '90s and it is pretty remarkable to note the
Patricia
A neighborhood peopled with encentrics.....slow to change, It usually takes a tornado, or a disgraced school teacher, or other disaster......and change is on its way again....Get a comfortable seat and a cool drink, this one is a page turner.

They are all flawed...but are all special.
Page 206. "he decided that the only time a man really knew God was when he knew God was different than folks said he was. That was when he figured it out for himself, and all the better if it disagreed with what was
Aj
I have never forgotten this book. I need to read it again (and want to!) because even though I haven't forgotten the essence of this book (haunting, Michigan rural themes, quirky characters) I have forgotten the details...needed for a review!

Bonnie Jo Campbell (Michigan!) is a great writer. I was privileged to see her leading a panel of authors talking about writing at the Kerrytown Concert House last fall at the book discussion last year at the Kerrytown Book Festival.

Elisabeth
I unwittingly stumbled on a theme of rural farmland in the last year. (Driftless, Snow Child, Once Upon a River, Mudville, off the top of my head.) This is the first book to Campbell's book Once Upon a River (though it takes place later...too confusing to explain but obvious once you start reading.) It centers on one day and neighbors along Q road. I found it fascinating. I loved all of the daydreaming characters -- so many daydreams that we don't really wish to happen, sometimes a few that we d ...more
David
I think this is actually my favorite out of Campbell's writing yet. Maybe I'm just more of a land person than a river person, but there is something in this book that really tugs at me inside. The writing is amazing as well. Each sentence is warm and perfect. I like the way this one advances through different characters at once, exploring the main storyline while exploring each character and their interrelation to each other. I would recommend this one to anyone who can read.
Alisa
Somewhat awkward in the structure and writing compared to Once Upon A River, I was none-the-less happy to read this book so I that could revisit Margo's world and see what became of her child, the land-loving gardener Rachael. Farmer George Harland was also a great character, as was David. Some of the others I could of skipped (definitely could've skipped the alien-obsessed lady and the window salesman and his wife, but April May Rathburn was interesting).
Melanie Ullrich
I was shocked when I started reading this to find out that my favorite book, Once Upon a River, was the prequel to this book. I was happy to find out what happened to Margo and her daughter, although the outcome is typical Bonnie Jo Campbell bitter-sweet. I love how Campbell can interweave gardening and the simple farm life into a a tragic, yet touching glimpse into a small communities everyday interactions.
Julia
Q Road was written before Once Upon a River but takes place after. This story follows Margo's daughter Rachel. After reading Once Upon a River, I promised myself I'd read more by Campbell. I was not disappointed. She is a strong contemporary American author, and her books are as wild and unique as her characters and the land they inhabit. I will definitely be reading more by Bonnie Jo Campbell.
Carol Zellner
I love that is a continuation of the story of young Margo from "Once Upon a River". The story picks up where her daughter Rachel is on her own in the world just as her mother was in the first book. I love the voices of the characters and their perceptions of the people and the places of their day to day life. I've not been disappointed by anything Bonnie Jo Campbell has written so far
Carol
Rural USA in the throes of metamorphosing into suburbia. Along the way some of the characters of the town turn into quite quirky butterflies. This is a good read, and might have even deserved 5 stars, but I am always reluctant to give such a high rating when I compare each book with my total library over the years. However, this one will keep your attention.
Teresa
Bonnie Jo Campbell writes beautifully about changing times in the Rust Belt. Q Road is a sequel - thought written first -- to her most recent novel, "Once Upon A River." In both of these stories Campbell weaves the inner lives of local characters with the Upper Michigan struggle to hang onto a farming, land-based way of life.
Linda
I read Campbell's second novel, Once Upon a River, and that so blew me away that anything else has to suffer by comparison. Nonetheless, Q Road has vivid, complex characters that don't always act in likable or predictable ways. This is a meditation, also, on the loss of farming in Michigan, and what that does to rural areas.
Josie
This was a wonderful story reminiscent of DH Lawrence in theme of peoples' ties to the land (but not much else) as the plight of the independent farm in rural Michigan is central to the story. There is a quirky cast of characters neglected by most around them, but making their own way through life nonetheless.
Merceda
Really good book as a follow-up to Once Upon a River. It appears as though there won't be a follow-up to Q Road though as she ended each character with what they were doing, or would be doing in the near future. And David will be living with Rachel and George, as his mother will be going to California.
Judith
This was a heartwarming story of a rural area in Michigan with a cast of unusual characters -- George Harland being the most "normal" of the group. Gives good insight to "love of the land" and takes the reader back to a history of the area and how each group cared so much for the area.
Cindy Swift
This story of not so ordinary people coping with their ordinary lives in a changing rural community in Michigan, found me hoping for the best, for all of them. The author described their conflicts and dreams, even their most dysfunctional moments, in ways that made me think, "I get it".
Kevin
While not as daring or explosively written as her collection American Salvage (one of the best I've read written in the last ten years), Q Road delivers in the depth of character and the wondrous shifts of perspective using time as transfer. Fulfilling and charged with insight.
  • Code for Failure
  • Isadore's Secret: Sin, Murder, and Confession in a Northern Michigan Town
  • American Gangbang: A Love Story
  • Fowl Weather
  • The Dewey Decimal System
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • All Shall Be Well; And All Shall Be Well; And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well
  • Chelsea Girls
  • Nature Wars: The Incredible Story of How Wildlife Comebacks Turned Backyards into Battlegrounds
  • Charles Jessold, Considered As A Murderer
  • The Restoration Game
  • Cabin Fever: A Suburban Father's Search for the Wild
  • The Old Man and the Swamp: A True Story About My Weird Dad, a Bunch of Snakes, and One Ridiculous Road Trip
  • Swedish Lessons: A memoir of sects, love & indentured servitude. Sort of.
  • High and Inside
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
  • Chance in Hell
  • Attic Clowns
Bonnie Jo Campbell is the author of the National Book Award finalist American Salvage, Women & Other Animals, and the novels Q Road and Once Upon a River. She is the winner of a Pushcart Prize, the AWP Award for Short Fiction, and Southern Review’s 2008 Eudora Welty Prize for “The Inventor, 1972,” which is included in American Salvage. Her work has appeared in Southern Review, Kenyon Review, a ...more
More about Bonnie Jo Campbell...
Once Upon a River American Salvage Women and Other Animals: Stories Our Working Lives: Short Stories of People and Work Love Letters to Sons of Bitches