Start by marking “Mega Beasts” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Mega Beasts

Robert James Sabuda

Mega Beasts (Encyclopedia Prehistorica)

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Using pop-up illustrations and fold out pages introduces some of the largest, and smallest, prehistoric animals.
Published 2007 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Mega Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mega Beasts

Hamza Mounir
Book Share

Have you ever wondered about how animals looked like in the past?
The exuberant non fiction Encyclopedia Prehistorica (Mega Beasts) was courtly authored by renowned masters Robert Sabuda and Mathew ReinHart. Once the book starts, the reader immediately plunges into the world of sky lizards dating to about 150 million years ago! The reader finds out about naturalists and paleontologists finding the first flying dinosaur fossil in 1784. Next after learning all about lizards and cold blo
Camille Ryckman
Can I say that every age kid and adult alike will LOVE this book! My husband took it out of my hand as soon as I opened it up and then my youngest daughter sneaked it away from him. This book is full of facts and information about dinosaurs that is presented very well, in small burst. But the really amazing part of this book is the pop-ups. They are intricate and amazingly crafted. There are even pop-ups under other pop-ups so the fun just keeps on coming. The colors are catching and the Meat-Ea ...more
Leslie
This was a present for my 6 year old who is now 7 and sitting beside me raving on and on about how much he still loves this book. It's one of the best pop-ups ever seen and offers something for younger kids (the awesome popup creatures) and older kids(many different levels of text and secret messages, windows, doors and various styles of accordian type pages to open). It is a great gift and will delight a kid for more than a couple of years. I wouldn't give it to one of those kids that are destr ...more
Tamara
Everyone knows my love of pop-up books, right? Well, Robert Sabuda is like the King of Pop Up. I do not know how he is able to create these things, let alone in a manner that makes them mass-producable. (That is so not a word, but I used it anyway.)

This one is not my favorite of his, mostly because I'm not a 6 year old boy with a dinosaur obsession. But it is amazing nonetheless. Go Westerville Library for being brave enough to let it circulate. It has yet to be destroyed.
Eponymous74
I put this on my shelf because I did not want to forget about this book or the title. This book is an excellent book for the 6-9 year range kids that are interested in science. I read this to Ty this weekend, and it was the best pop-up book I have ever read.
Rachel VB
amazing work of art of a book. totally stunning and transfixing. i dont own this or any other book in the series, and neither do i care that its rated ages 5 and up - if anyone out there wants to gift me this or the dinosaurs or the sharks one, that would be smashing.
Samantha
Jul 30, 2007 Samantha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just about anyone
This book and the Dinosaur book in the "Encyclopedia Prehistorica" series are absolutely stunning. By far the best pop up books I have ever seen. More like amazing works of art then pop up books. Kids are transfixed by these books!
Chrissy
This was one of three that was given to me as a gift. These are AMAZING pop-up books. They have a wealth of information and amazing graphics. Each page has one or two mini-pop-up books on it as well. LOVE these!
Jen S.
Fabulous pop-ups! Brilliant (although probably not accurate) colors, and hundreds of popping parts are the main attraction, although the explaining text does seem to be accurate and informative.
Bookish
The pop-ups are great, but there is a lot of scientific information that is advanced for a kindergartner. Probably more appropriately for 3rd or 4th grade.
Becca
Great pop-up, but I didn't love the subject matter as much as his other books.
Jodi
Amazing intricate pop-up book for kids!
Theresa
cool fold outs and pop ups
Noel Bouayad
Noel Bouayad marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Hyun Young
Hyun Young marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Erin
Erin added it
Jan 10, 2015
Achraf
Achraf marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Chance Lee
Chance Lee marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Zoi Tilinski
Zoi Tilinski marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
With the ability to hold a crayon came the discovery that I was an artist," says pop-up book master Robert Sabuda. "I spent hours, days and weeks drawing, painting, cutting and gluing. My bedroom was a constant whirlwind of pencil shavings, drippy paint brushes and mounds of paper scraps. My mother's pleas of 'When are you going to CLEAN UP this mess?!' went unanswered." Robert Sabuda says that re ...more
More about Robert James Sabuda...

Encyclopedia Prehistorica (3 books)
  • Dinosaurs
  • Sharks And Other Sea Monsters
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: A Pop-Up Adaptation The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A Commemorative Pop-Up The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up The 12 Days of Christmas: A Pop-Up Celebration Dinosaurs