Start by marking “No Sheep for You: Knit Happy with Cotton, Silk, Linen, Hemp, Bamboo & Other Delights” as Want to Read:

Yarns made from plant fibers, modern synthetics, and silk take the spotlight in this collection of 21 classic knitting patterns for socks, scarves, hats, bags, vests, sweaters, and even a luxurious bathrobe. Some knitters are discouraged by the thought of baggy hemp sweaters and droopy cotton socks when they consider vegetable fibers, but this authoritative, fun, and light ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about No Sheep for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Sheep for You

Matthew Gatheringwater
Nov 16, 2007 Matthew Gatheringwater rated it liked it
Recommends it for: knitters interested in exploring new fibers
Shelves: knitting
Even someone who believes, as I do, that wool is the ideal knitting fiber, can benefit from this book.

Non-wool knits have a venerable history. After all, the oldest known examples of knitting (400-500 B.C.E.) were cotton sandal socks. No Sheep For You offers some interesting historical tidbits, but also reports on the latest developments in the processing of traditional fibers like cotton and hemp, and even introduces new non-wool fibers made from bamboo, hemp, seaweed, and soy. There is some y
Ginny Messina
A nice resource for anyone interesting in knitting with non-wool fibers. The first 20 pages or so have interesting background information on how different fibers grow and are made into yarn. The author talks a little bit about use and care of different fibers. It's not an exhaustive list and I'm not sure the information is worth the purchase of an entire book. For more comprehensive lists of available non-wool yarns, I'd recommend these websites: http://veganyarn.blogspot.com/, which lists diffe ...more
Abbey
Oct 20, 2011 Abbey rated it really liked it
BOTTOM LINE: Wonderful resource for those knitters who are allergic to wool, or simply enjoy other yarns, filled with great comparison charts, lots of info about textures and fabrics that result from using various yarns, all in a chatty but not cutesy manner. Many good patterns, in a wide range of patterns as well, making this an excellent book to keep in your knitting library.

Large paperback format has only one physical drawback: it's not spiral-bound, my prefered style for crafting books as i
Willow
Aug 09, 2013 Willow rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiber-art-stuff
I liked the information in this book about wool-free yarn. I thought that the information was useful and helpful and I'm sure I'll refer to the book often in the future.

The major flaw I found with this book is that the author seems to assume that if one knits, the main focus of their knitting would be sweaters. There are so many more things to knit than sweaters (or shawls), so despite the helpful information about non-wool fibers there was also quite a bit of information that was not helpful to
Mar 07, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafty
I'm glad to have this one on my shelf of crafting books, particularly for the introductory section, which provides a wealth of information on non-animal fiber yarns. I'm not particularly crazy about wool, given that I live in a temperate place and find it mildly itchy, so it's a pleasure to find patterns designed with the drape/stretch properties of non-animal fibers in mind.

There are quite a few patterns in here that I'd (a) actually make and (b) actually wear, which isn't the case with a lot o
Bibliothekerin
Sep 26, 2015 Bibliothekerin rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-nf
I like the Morrigan Uneck cable pullover pattern the best, followed by the Peerie Fleur paisley cardigan pattern. The very best thing about this book though? IMHO, it's the reference info on non-wool fibers.
Debbi Houtz
May 02, 2015 Debbi Houtz rated it liked it
non fiction reference book about knitting with yarns not made of sheeps wool.
Mckinley
Mar 27, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Some nice stuff but nothing I want to knit.
Jan 08, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
The cover is a little random, but the patterns are not. I enjoyed looking through this book and thought they did a good job of selecting interesting things to knit as well as good models and bright colors. The layout was nice and featured several different pictures of each item so you could get a good view of what you were going to knit. I'd probably recommend this book, but I didn't find anything in it for me.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Crissy
Apr 27, 2007 Crissy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
A wonderful resource of information on non-wool fibers. Want to know why your sweaters pill? This book will tell you. Ever wonder what "microfiber" is? It's in the book. How about how they turn bamboo into yarn? It's in there. Looking for a fabulous, warm sweater to knit for someone who breaks out in hives if you show them a picture of a sheep? It's in there, too.

Even if you have no problem working with wool, this book is a great resource to have on hand if you want to understand how different f
Stacy Allbritton
May 17, 2013 Stacy Allbritton rated it it was amazing
I am not an expert knitter, and I need patterns with explicit instructions. If you find yourself in the same position, this is the book for you. Amy Singer's patterns are easy to follow - not to mention beautiful - and she peppers the book with knitting tips throughout. She also goes into great detail about various fibers and what to expect when you use them. I am the happy owner of this book and have an amazing work of art (my new pullover) to prove it!
Andrea
Feb 02, 2010 Andrea rated it it was ok
Shelves: crochet-knitting
The first two chapters describing the different kinds of non-animal fibers are short intro's into a lot of different new innovative fibers. The descriptions are good, but short and very lacking in how the yarns behave.

The patterns left a lot to be desired and i would not recommend this book for design innovation. The patterns are both outdated and non-original designs that you can find in most books with better diagrams than in this book.
Autumn
Aug 29, 2007 Autumn rated it liked it
Shelves: fiber
Unlike most knitting books, the front matter is the highlight of No Sheep For You. Amy Singer does a great job explaining the properties and manufacturing history of all kinds of non-wool fibers. Finally, I learned the difference between tussah and bombyx silk! --Nerd alert--

The patterns are gorgeous, but they are mostly complex sweaters. There are two pairs of socks and a collar for newbs like myself.
Patricia Green
Dec 26, 2013 Patricia Green rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the information about the various non-wool fibers, but several of those descriptions left me with unanswered questions. I'm also a newer knitter and found the patterns--all of them--to be far too advanced. A few simple patterns would have been welcome projects on which to experiment with the various fibers.
Alicia
Aug 19, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, knitting
I borrowed this book from the library. Although I can't wait to start some of the patterns, others are generic that I've seen in several other knitting books. The introductory section with the knitting fiber descriptions is somewhat interesting, but I skipped over it for the most part. Overall, a good free book to borrow from your local library but I wouldn't buy it.
penny shima glanz
Apr 01, 2009 penny shima glanz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-knitting
Wow. This was awesome. I’m still not sure how I justified purchasing the book at this point in time but I did and it is totally worth it. Amy spent a nice chunk of time explaining how the various non-woolly fibres work. The patterns are quite nice too and I want to play with some sea silk one of these days.. I’m excited to add this to my growing library.
Bonnie
Sep 12, 2015 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic
An excellent guide for nonwool fibers and of benefit for anyone who knits and wants to know more about all the shiny things in the yarn store.
yoli
Mar 23, 2008 yoli rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters looking to branch out from wool
Recommended to yoli by: Knitty
Shelves: knitting
VERY educational at the front, especially for a wool-lover who really only knows that cotton is saggy and heavy--still true but there's other stuff as well! Plus there are some very cute patterns, especially the first cardigan pattern and the hemp bag. I will have to revisit this book later when I'm done with my wool sweaters!
Emmalee
Apr 19, 2016 Emmalee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Still one of the best books out there for anybody allergic to wool. I first read this book when it came out. Some of the yarns recommended in the book are no longer available, but some of the yarn makers have recommended substitutions.

notgettingenough
Oct 14, 2009 notgettingenough rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting-is-sexy
I just don't think this book is justified. It doesn't make a case for why its yarns need its patterns. Or vice versa. The patterns are largely nothing much. If this book ever gets out of storage I can see it going on a long trip to a new home.
Lily
May 16, 2008 Lily rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-books
The beginning section of the book has good descriptions and explanations of non-animal based yarns. The rest of the book consists of patterns using these alternate yarns. Not really worth buying but worth reading the beginning section.
Nicole
Jun 08, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Love the intro... fantastic explanation of all the different kinds of nonwool yarns. Very informative. Patterns are great, wide range of large and small, easy and difficult.
Lauren Gerfen
Apr 18, 2008 Lauren Gerfen rated it did not like it
Shelves: craft
I liked the idea on focusing on Non-Animal fiber but this book has few helpful tips and extremely boring project ideas. It's not even worth checking out at the library.
Bronwyn
Dec 21, 2007 Bronwyn rated it really liked it
I wish she'd go into more depth about the fibers and include a few more (Tencel?), but overall a great book with knits that are fun and classic.
Leanne
Feb 23, 2008 Leanne rated it it was ok
A good resource for learning more about non-wool fibers. I wasn't too impressed with the patterns, though, and was hoping for more on bamboo.
Shannon
Jul 17, 2008 Shannon rated it really liked it
This is a book with lots of info about knitting with non-wool yarns, which I found very interesting. The patterns included are beautiful!
Tsimplekelly
Jan 07, 2009 Tsimplekelly rated it liked it
Attractive patterns, interesting alternatives to wool, however have not felt the necessity to knit anything from the book as of yet
Christine Stanford
Sep 25, 2009 Christine Stanford rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting
I bought this book for the Tuscany Shawl pattern, I don't see many other patterns in the book that I want to make.
Aileen
Apr 01, 2016 Aileen rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
I had higher hopes for this book pattern-wise but the other information in the book was super informative and helpful.
M2t2
Feb 10, 2013 M2t2 rated it really liked it
Shelves: interests
Informative and easy to read. Great to learn about nonwool yarns. Thanks for the recommendation Melinda!
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Lace Style
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • Folk Shawls
  • The Best of Interweave Knits
  • Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Knitting Lingerie Style: More Than 30 Basic and Lingerie - Inspired Designs
  • The Knitting Experience Book 1: The Knit Stitch, Inspiration & Instruction
  • Knitted Lace of Estonia
  • Big Girl Knits : 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac