Start by marking “Broken Bow (Star Trek Enterprise, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Bow (Star Trek Enterprise, #1)

Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Before Janeway and Sisko,
before Picard and Kirk...

It Is the twenty-seoond century...and the dawn of mankind's boldest adventure. Thanks to the amazing breakthroughs in warp technology, an era of true Interstellar exploration is about to begin, and a whole new universe, full of astounding wonders and unparalleled dangers, has just opened up for humanity.
Someone has to
Published October 12th 2001 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Bow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Bow

David King
Review originally posted on my blog: http://killie-booktalk.blogspot.com/

I have to admit that I have let my geeky tendencies out with this latest review. Basically I decided that I will try and read through all the Star Trek novels I can obtain in as close to chronological order as I can work out. I suspect some of these books will be bad, I suspect some will be good, but it will be an adventure either way! Anyway, the first book to read was Broken Bow by Diane Carey which is actually a noveliza
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
This delivered what I was looking for, additional scenes/moments of conversation from the Enterprise pilot that didn't make it to the screen. The writing was rushed and at times clunky, as one tends to expect from television novelizations. Most interesting were the "behind-the-scenes" interviews at the end, which in retrospect I think reveal part of the reason why the approach of Enterprise's creators didn't pan out as intended.
Joshua Lemke
A great prequel Star Trek series. After watching the pilot episode, I was excited to read this book. I wasn't disappointed when I started reading. By the time I finished the book, I was ready for more Enterprise novels.
Scott Vout
This is the first book of the Star Trak: Enterprse Series. Long before Kirk and Spock.

I found this to be a very easy read, played out more like a TV episode.

The characters are ok, not the larger then life folk of the Kirk era but not bad.

It is the first voyage of the Enterprise, a milk run delivery that of course goes wrong.

The action is sudden, quick and done. The character development is much the same, I hate you, I am not sure about you, i think you are ok now.

Hopefully future books will deve
Anne Holly
I read this novel back when it first came out, because I didn't have access to the show at the time. Re-read it recently, as I've since gotten a hold of the complete series and I figured this would make an entertaining way to pass my spare minutes. To be honest, though, I'm not sure this novelization added anything to the pilot episode - for the most part, it seems like a direct translation of the show to the page, and I didn't feel the prose added anything extra, or even enrich the experience. ...more
Norman Howe
Science-Fiction
Surya Teja
the way Enterprise is shown in its initial stages and how humans and vulcans started to work together was very great. i loved the way the image of the vulcans changes from those who criticize us to those who help us. the book was awesome .liked it
Chris Friend
This book is more interesting than I remember the pilot being, though that's no surprise…I got the book specifically because novelizations tend to improve on the shows.

While not excellent, the writing is engaging. While not overly technical or complex, the plot is interesting (though disappointingly little was added to the script in its reincarnation as a book.

Overall, it was satisfying, but neither riveting nor revolting. My initial reaction after finishing was generally one of "Eh."
Annie
It was definitely fun to read.
It wasn't mindblowing but these novelizations of pilot episodes are never particularly awesome, in my opinion. But it was a decent book. Although the characters felt a bit off from time to time. Especially Trip didn't sound like Trip most of the time but that could be due to the translation. I'm not sure. Maybe I will read the original some time then I'll know.
Leanne
As someone who is not a fan of Star Trek in general (I simply didn't have time to sit and watch it) I was surprised just how much I enjoyed this book. Even taking it as a simple sci-fi novella it was a brilliant piece of writing and something that is making me more likely to watch some of the TV show in the future. Well deserved four stars.
Christopher
This is the novelization of the pilot episode of he series. It isn't bad as such efforts go, but DON'T buy the ebook version. It was rife with typos, to the point that reading BROKEN BOW was a chore.
Heather Domin
A straightforward, no-frills novelization, basically the script in prose form. Fast paced and mercifully light on epithets and Thesaurus Raider dialogue tags. Excellent for whiling away the daily commute.
Martin Milhomme
Loved it. I miss the show, so it was great to revisit. I know it wasn't the most popular Star Trek series, but I was entertained and that's what matters.
Mel
This was a great book! The book gave more detail then the show could. A must read for any Enterprise fan.
Joseph Barnes
Saw the pilot for this on T.V. but I really enjoyed the novel much more. It was good!
Thomas
Best Enterprise story so far
Markus Korpela
Good novelization
Suvi
Suvi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Rob Lenihan
Rob Lenihan is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2015
Erin Coulter
Erin Coulter marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Daniel Tinnirello
Daniel Tinnirello marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Fenn E Wimberly
Fenn E Wimberly marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Barbara D Tribit
Barbara D Tribit marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • What Price Honor? (Star Trek: Enterprise #4)
  • Surak's Soul (Star Trek: Enterprise #5)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11)
  • Last Full Measure (Star Trek: Enterprise #10)
  • A Choice of Futures (Rise Of the Federation, #1) (Star Trek: Enterprise, #15)
  • Q-Strike (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49; The Q Continuum, #3)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Shadow of Heaven (Star Trek Voyager, #21; Dark Matters, #3)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
Diane Carey also wrote the Distress Call 911 young adult series under the name D.L. Carey.

Diane Carey is primarily a science fiction author best known for her work in the Star Trek franchise. She has been the lead-off writer for two Star Trek spin-off book series: Star Trek The Next Generation with Star Trek: Ghost Ship, and the novelization of the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

For more
More about Diane Carey...

Star Trek: Enterprise (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • What Price Honor? (Star Trek: Enterprise #4)
  • Surak's Soul (Star Trek: Enterprise #5)
  • The Expanse (Star Trek: Enterprise #6)
  • Daedalus (Star Trek: Enterprise #7)
  • Daedalus's Children (Star Trek: Enterprise #8)
  • Rosetta (Star Trek: Enterprise #9)
  • Last Full Measure (Star Trek: Enterprise #10)
  • The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11)
Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1) Best Destiny (Star Trek) Dreadnought! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #1) First Strike (Star Trek, #79; Invasion!, #1) Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)