Start by marking “Broken Bow (Star Trek Enterprise, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Bow (Star Trek Enterprise, #1)

Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)

The thrilling premier of an all-new Star Trek® saga—plus, as a special bonus, a look behind the scenes of the hit TV series!

Before Janeway and Sisko, before Picard and Kirk...

It Is the twenty-seoond century...and the dawn of mankind's boldest adventure. Thanks to the amazing breakthroughs in warp technology, an era of true Interstellar exploration is about to begin, and
Published October 12th 2001 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Bow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Bow

Crystal Bensley
Well written but not a good episode of Enterprise in my opinion.
David King
Review originally posted on my blog: http://killie-booktalk.blogspot.com/

I have to admit that I have let my geeky tendencies out with this latest review. Basically I decided that I will try and read through all the Star Trek novels I can obtain in as close to chronological order as I can work out. I suspect some of these books will be bad, I suspect some will be good, but it will be an adventure either way! Anyway, the first book to read was Broken Bow by Diane Carey which is actually a noveliza
mookie kong
Dec 27, 2016 mookie kong rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, own
This book was OK, it is based on a pilot that was neither spectacular nor very interesting. It followed the pilot episode to the dot on what happened and when it happened. It even includes the two deleted scenes that are on the Blu-ray. The writing style is easy to read, but I had an issue with the way the characters were written. The inner monologues and thoughts of the characters -- most especially Archer -- did not reflect what was shown on the show. Archer and Trip, with the inner dialogue a ...more
Noah Quinnell
Sep 16, 2016 Noah Quinnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got more than expected.

Great read. Hope , they get used to having a Vulcan on board, and I was pleasantly surprised by the new Doctor.
Jason Vargo
Jul 02, 2016 Jason Vargo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Serviceable enough adaptation of Enterprise's pilot episode, though far from spectacular. Unlike other pilot episode adaptations, this one feels the most like the televised version, with each character speaking in their "voice." There are no real misfires in the novel: events play out exactly as they do in the "official" version. What you do notice here-and what might not come across on TV-is how downright angry Jonathan Archer is toward the Vulcans, a T'Pol in particular. He, and other members ...more
Scott Vout
This is the first book of the Star Trak: Enterprse Series. Long before Kirk and Spock.

I found this to be a very easy read, played out more like a TV episode.

The characters are ok, not the larger then life folk of the Kirk era but not bad.

It is the first voyage of the Enterprise, a milk run delivery that of course goes wrong.

The action is sudden, quick and done. The character development is much the same, I hate you, I am not sure about you, i think you are ok now.

Hopefully future books will deve
Anne Holly
I read this novel back when it first came out, because I didn't have access to the show at the time. Re-read it recently, as I've since gotten a hold of the complete series and I figured this would make an entertaining way to pass my spare minutes. To be honest, though, I'm not sure this novelization added anything to the pilot episode - for the most part, it seems like a direct translation of the show to the page, and I didn't feel the prose added anything extra, or even enrich the experience. ...more
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
This delivered what I was looking for, additional scenes/moments of conversation from the Enterprise pilot that didn't make it to the screen. The writing was rushed and at times clunky, as one tends to expect from television novelizations. Most interesting were the "behind-the-scenes" interviews at the end, which in retrospect I think reveal part of the reason why the approach of Enterprise's creators didn't pan out as intended.
Chris Friend
This book is more interesting than I remember the pilot being, though that's no surprise…I got the book specifically because novelizations tend to improve on the shows.

While not excellent, the writing is engaging. While not overly technical or complex, the plot is interesting (though disappointingly little was added to the script in its reincarnation as a book.

Overall, it was satisfying, but neither riveting nor revolting. My initial reaction after finishing was generally one of "Eh."
Annie
Aug 28, 2012 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, 2012, tie-in
It was definitely fun to read.
It wasn't mindblowing but these novelizations of pilot episodes are never particularly awesome, in my opinion. But it was a decent book. Although the characters felt a bit off from time to time. Especially Trip didn't sound like Trip most of the time but that could be due to the translation. I'm not sure. Maybe I will read the original some time then I'll know.
Frank
Jan 25, 2017 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a fan of just the movies and not the TV shows I gave Enterprise a shot and love it! This book is based on the tv shows first two episodes Broken Bow. The book of course gives even more insight and I am happy I read it. Don't know why the show did not catch on with Trekkies. Anyway check out the book and then the series.
Leanne
May 17, 2013 Leanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who is not a fan of Star Trek in general (I simply didn't have time to sit and watch it) I was surprised just how much I enjoyed this book. Even taking it as a simple sci-fi novella it was a brilliant piece of writing and something that is making me more likely to watch some of the TV show in the future. Well deserved four stars.
Christopher
This is the novelization of the pilot episode of he series. It isn't bad as such efforts go, but DON'T buy the ebook version. It was rife with typos, to the point that reading BROKEN BOW was a chore.
Surya Teja
the way Enterprise is shown in its initial stages and how humans and vulcans started to work together was very great. i loved the way the image of the vulcans changes from those who criticize us to those who help us. the book was awesome .liked it
Heather Domin
A straightforward, no-frills novelization, basically the script in prose form. Fast paced and mercifully light on epithets and Thesaurus Raider dialogue tags. Excellent for whiling away the daily commute.
Joshua Lemke
Jul 31, 2014 Joshua Lemke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great prequel Star Trek series. After watching the pilot episode, I was excited to read this book. I wasn't disappointed when I started reading. By the time I finished the book, I was ready for more Enterprise novels.
Mel
Jun 03, 2008 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book! The book gave more detail then the show could. A must read for any Enterprise fan.
Martin Milhomme
Mar 06, 2014 Martin Milhomme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I miss the show, so it was great to revisit. I know it wasn't the most popular Star Trek series, but I was entertained and that's what matters.
Joseph Barnes
Apr 16, 2012 Joseph Barnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw the pilot for this on T.V. but I really enjoyed the novel much more. It was good!
Norman Howe
Science-Fiction
Byron Followell
Byron Followell rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Andres F.
Andres F. rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Nathaniel Whitmore
Nathaniel Whitmore rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Becky Northaven
Becky Northaven rated it did not like it
Dec 03, 2016
Jason Ellis
Jason Ellis rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Scott Johnson
Scott Johnson rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Ronny
Ronny rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2013
Nicholas Earles
Nicholas Earles rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2012
Michael Yankovich
Michael Yankovich rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • What Price Honor? (Star Trek: Enterprise #4)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • Surak's Soul (Star Trek: Enterprise #5)
  • Last Full Measure (Star Trek: Enterprise #10)
  • The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11)
  • A Choice of Futures (Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation #1)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Q-Strike (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49; The Q Continuum, #3)
  • Ghost Dance (Star Trek: Voyager, #20; Dark Matters, #2)
  • Mosaic (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Her Klingon Soul: Day of Honor #3
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
Diane Carey also wrote the Distress Call 911 young adult series under the name D.L. Carey.

Diane Carey is primarily a science fiction author best known for her work in the Star Trek franchise. She has been the lead-off writer for two Star Trek spin-off book series: Star Trek The Next Generation with Star Trek: Ghost Ship, and the novelization of the Star Trek: Enterprise pilot, Broken Bow.

For more
More about Diane Carey...

Star Trek: Enterprise (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • What Price Honor? (Star Trek: Enterprise #4)
  • Surak's Soul (Star Trek: Enterprise #5)
  • The Expanse (Star Trek: Enterprise #6)
  • Daedalus (Star Trek: Enterprise #7)
  • Daedalus's Children (Star Trek: Enterprise #8)
  • Rosetta (Star Trek: Enterprise #9)
  • Last Full Measure (Star Trek: Enterprise #10)
  • The Good That Men Do (Star Trek: Enterprise #11)