Start by marking “Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)

Anything Goes (Grace & Favor #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,278 ratings  ·  46 reviews
They Have Inherited a Lovely Upstate Mansion. . .

The crash of 1929 has ended the party for high-living New Yorkers Lily Brewster and her brother Robert and takes them from the upper echelons of the idle rich and deposits them to the lowly depths of the disillusioned poor. However, rescue arrives in the form of their recently deceased great-uncle Horation who bequeaths to t

Published June 1st 1999 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Anything Goes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anything Goes

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
110th out of 929 books — 1,037 voters
The Night Circus by Erin MorgensternGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay FayeThe Chaperone by Laura MoriartyA Good American by Alex George
Summer Reading 2012 MKG
53rd out of 72 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
Having read Jill Churchill's other series featuring housewife sleuth, Jane Jeffreys, I was really excited to learn she had written another cozy mystery series. I was even more excited when I found out from my friend Carolyn, that it is an historical cozy mystery series that takes place during the 1930's.

Lily and Robert Brewster are brother and sister who have recently inherited their Uncle Horatio's home on the Hudson River. The siblings were desolate before this windfall and lived hand to mouth...more
Connie
ANYTHING GOES by Jill Churchill is 246 pages in paperback form. It is #1 in A Grace And Favor Mystery.

Brief Description:

They Have Inherited a Lovely Upstate Mansion...

The crash of 1929 has ended the party for high-living New Yorkers Lily Brewster and her brother Robert and takes them from the upper echelons of the idle rich and deposits them to the lowly depths of the disillusioned poor. However, rescue arrives in the form of their recently deceased great-uncle Horatio who bequeaths to them Grac...more
Dolly
Jun 30, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is a fun period mystery, set in the early 1930s, following the Great Crash of 1929. It was a fun read, although we are in the midst of moving, so it took me a lot longer than normal to read it and it detracted from my enjoyment a bit. It's so much better when you can immerse yourself in a story!

I enjoyed this mystery and will look for more by this author, especially in the Grace and Favor series. I really liked the characters and I'm glad that I happened upon the first book in the series b...more
Ann
This is one of my favorite series by Ms. Churchill. For some unknown reason I had never read the first book in the series but have read all the others. I am glad I finally read this book because it makes clear a lot of the questions I had about the other books. Brother and sister Lily and Robert Brewster are down on their luck in 1930. They were raised as wealthy children of New York but the stock market crash has left them both broke and their father committed suicide. They see an advertisement...more
Paula
Lily and Robert Brewster, who are brother and sister, are the protagonists of Anything Goes, a detective novel set in the Depression in which they unexpectedly inherit a house once owned by a distant relative. Renaming it 'Grace and Favor House', they discover that there are conditions to their inheritance, one of them being that they have to live in the property for the next ten years or risk losing it to their odious cousin, Claude.

Given that they've both been barely scratching by in New York,...more
Cindy
I enjoyed reading Anything Goes. I loved the portrayal of Lily and her brother Robert who've seen better times. In the beginning of the story, the two reside in a very cramped apartment after having previously lounged in the lap of luxury. The stock market of 1929 changed the course of their lives forever. Forced into poverty, the two take menial jobs to try and make ends meet in New York City. Then they get a bit of unexpected news.

An old uncle, Horatio, whom they'd nearly forgotten about, leav...more
Cheryl A
The first book the Grace and Favor series has Lily and Robert Brewster, former socialites brought way down by the stock market crash of 1929, struggling to make ends even come close, much less meet. When contacted by their Uncle Horatio's lawyer, they find that they have inherited a "cottage" in upstate New York, with strings attached. But Horatio's death wasn't quite the accident it appeared to be and Lily and Robert need to clear the mystery of his death to clear themselves.

There was a little...more
Jim
I began by reading Jill's Jane Jeffry mysteries. They were fine, and I read a lot of that series. While that series was on-going, she began her Grace and Favor mysteries, starting with Anything Goes.

I really liked Anything Goes. It is set in the 1930s (requiring her to do a lot of research, I presume). Two rich kids lose their parents and wealth in the 1929 stock crash. They inherit a mansion from a deceased uncle, of which they must live in for ten years.

Again, as with any mysteries, sometimes...more
Mailis Viiand
There are four types of depression that seem to follow me as the year progresses. Autumn depression, winter depression, spring depression and summer depression. Whats depressing about summer you ask? Well it depends...If you are working during summer, then thats the answer number one. If not, then the depression starts emerging in the end of June, when that gloomy jesus, summer is almost over alert creeps into your brain. Well as it is raining and stormy outside, with bare branches and overall c...more
Helen
This was a pleasant, cozy read in a classic formula. Alas, that meant I spotted the culprit way too soon for my liking. Still, there were other things to like in the setting and characters, so I will probably look for the next in the series. A web search for photos of Bannerman Castle on the Hudson only adds to the enjoyment, even if you wait until the end. Fascinating place, and apparently you can visit what are now ruins and gardens.
Stacielynn
fun, light and fluffy - i enjoyed going back to the beginning of this series and seeing ghow it all began
Katherine Decker
Lily, Robert, and Jack are some great characters. Fun read- looking forward to the next one.
Kathy  Petersen
I do enjoy finding a mystery series that has a goodly number of titles, is well-written, set in a different place and perhaps a different time, with amiable characters and a solution to the murder(s) that is plausible enough. I've found a lot of these lately, thanks in part to Goodreads, and Ms. Churchill's Grace & Favor mysteries look like another bunch of winners.
Laura Rodd
Fun. Simply fun.
Ferne
I enjoyed the main characters of Lily Brewster and her brother Robert immensely! I usually do not think of actors that could play the parts of the lead characters but for this title I could easily imagine Pierce Bronsan and his leading lady Stephanie Zimbalist from Remington Steele. It's an easy-to-read mystery that was pleasant to curl up with and read.
Jan
The first of the "Grace and Favor" mysteries. The initial premise is a brother and sister who have fallen on hard time due to Depression in New York City. They are left a mansion/cottage by a great uncle and it may be enough to see them through. The problem is how Uncle Horatio died and they are prime suspects due to their inheritance!
Kyrie
These mysteries are set in upstate NY during the depression. Robert and Lily Brewster are formerly rich siblings who've inherited a mansion from their uncle with the stipulation they have to reside there for ten years before they get the fortune that goes with it. They end up opening a boarding house of sorts, and solve mysteries on the side.
Tricia Douglas
This was the first book by Jill Churchill that I've read and I did enjoy it very much. The time period was during the Great Depression and focused a little on the difficulties that people had then. Murder, of course, was the main part of the story that kept me turning the pages. I liked her style and look forward to #2 in the series.
Sophie
It was a pretty good book, also no detective, One of the main character solves the Crime or Mr.Horatio Brewster's death, and another death which occurs of Grace and Favor cottage, It may seem as if the two crimes were in no way conncted, but they were. Again, It was a good book, I do recommend reading.
Liz
I really enjoy this series. It's a well-written cozy mystery, and also a wonderful portrayal of life in the Great Depression. This book is the first in the series. I suspect I would have rated it higher if I had not already read the next 3 books in the series. All stories are read best from the beginning.
Shaina
I felt that this was an ok mystery. A fast read but I didn't think it was quite as clever as other I have read, both in mystery quality and dialog. Overall it was entertaining and I may read another by this author if I come across it, but I don't think I will go searching for it.
Probibliophile
The history is very interesting and the formerly rich turn out to be more wily than suspected, for both good and ill. Pacing excellent - no time wasted and the mystery is indeed mysterious. A "page turner" and an excellent evocation of the depression.
Heidi
I actually picked this book up by mistake at the library. For some reason I thought she was a different author, but it looked fun so I decided to read it anyway. I actually really enjoyed it, and can't wait to read another one of her books.
LittleDeadRedGoddess
I love the old 1930's & 40's mystery films and this reads just like one. The lingo is correct, the characters are crisp and it's just a fun read. I have always enjoyed Jill Churchill and this si another successful series.
Catyana
Great light reading and interesting to learn about the 1930s in the Hudson Valley, where I have spent a lot of time. The characters are likable and they explore social issues present at the time.
Mary  (Biblophile)
First in the series. I like the brother and sister combo in this mystery series set in the 1930s after the stock market crash. The stories are no brainers, but enjoyable for a light, fluffy read.
Sallie
I found this book in my bookstore's used book section, and it sounded interesting. First of the Grace and Favor series. I did enjoy this book and shall look for others in the series.
Cheryl
Loved all the Grace and Favor series of 6 books. Wish there were more. These are listed as "Cozy Mysteries."But they are also very historical to their time line.
Jo
first of the series, mysteries take place in early 30's with a brother and sister amateur detectives. I liked it enough to read the second book.
Anna
Really like Robert and Lilly and am looking forward to knowing them better. The plot was interesting as was the setting. Good start to a series!
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • The Alpine Advocate (Emma Lord Mystery, #1)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • Murder Your Darlings (An Algonquin Round Table Mystery #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • A Killer Collection (A Collectible Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Packs a Suitcase (Murder Packs a Suitcase, #1)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an...more
More about Jill Churchill...
Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1) A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2) A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5) War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8) A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)