Start by marking “Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)

Anything Goes (Grace & Favor #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,494 ratings  ·  57 reviews
They Have Inherited a Lovely Upstate Mansion. . .

Published June 1st 1999 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about Anything Goes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anything Goes

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
111th out of 1,088 books — 1,291 voters
The Night Circus by Erin MorgensternGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay FayeThe Chaperone by Laura MoriartyA Good American by Alex George
Summer Reading 2012 MKG
53rd out of 72 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
Having read Jill Churchill's other series featuring housewife sleuth, Jane Jeffreys, I was really excited to learn she had written another cozy mystery series. I was even more excited when I found out from my friend Carolyn, that it is an historical cozy mystery series that takes place during the 1930's.

Lily and Robert Brewster are brother and sister who have recently inherited their Uncle Horatio's home on the Hudson River. The siblings were desolate before this windfall and lived hand to mouth
Connie
ANYTHING GOES by Jill Churchill is 246 pages in paperback form. It is #1 in A Grace And Favor Mystery.

Brief Description:

They Have Inherited a Lovely Upstate Mansion...

The crash of 1929 has ended the party for high-living New Yorkers Lily Brewster and her brother Robert and takes them from the upper echelons of the idle rich and deposits them to the lowly depths of the disillusioned poor. However, rescue arrives in the form of their recently deceased great-uncle Horatio who bequeaths to them Grac
Dolly
Jun 30, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is a fun period mystery, set in the early 1930s, following the Great Crash of 1929. It was a fun read, although we are in the midst of moving, so it took me a lot longer than normal to read it and it detracted from my enjoyment a bit. It's so much better when you can immerse yourself in a story!

I enjoyed this mystery and will look for more by this author, especially in the Grace and Favor series. I really liked the characters and I'm glad that I happened upon the first book in the series b
Pat
The crash of 1929 has ended the party for high-living New Yorkers Lily Brewster and her brother Robert and takes them from the upper echelons of the idle rich and deposits them to the lowly depths of the disillusioned poor. However, rescue arrives in the form of their recently deceased great-uncle Horation who bequeaths to them Grace and Favor "Cottage" which is really a great sprawling mansion. And there's a fortune to go with it, but only if they reside there for ten years.

With no other altern
Ann
This is one of my favorite series by Ms. Churchill. For some unknown reason I had never read the first book in the series but have read all the others. I am glad I finally read this book because it makes clear a lot of the questions I had about the other books. Brother and sister Lily and Robert Brewster are down on their luck in 1930. They were raised as wealthy children of New York but the stock market crash has left them both broke and their father committed suicide. They see an advertisement ...more
Lucy
first book in series, set in 1931 upstate New York. Brother and sister Robert and Lily are making a minimal living after the suicide of their father in the financial disaster of 1929, when they find out they've inherited a rural estate, but they must live there for 10 years to keep it. They're suspected in the suspicious death of the great-uncle from whom they inherited so they feel compelled to find the truth, especially since the local police chief is incompetent. Interesting characters, thoug ...more
Paula
Lily and Robert Brewster, who are brother and sister, are the protagonists of Anything Goes, a detective novel set in the Depression in which they unexpectedly inherit a house once owned by a distant relative. Renaming it 'Grace and Favor House', they discover that there are conditions to their inheritance, one of them being that they have to live in the property for the next ten years or risk losing it to their odious cousin, Claude.

Given that they've both been barely scratching by in New York,
C.
I enjoyed reading Anything Goes. I loved the portrayal of Lily and her brother Robert who've seen better times. In the beginning of the story, the two reside in a very cramped apartment after having previously lounged in the lap of luxury. The stock market of 1929 changed the course of their lives forever. Forced into poverty, the two take menial jobs to try and make ends meet in New York City. Then they get a bit of unexpected news.

An old uncle, Horatio, whom they'd nearly forgotten about, leav
Cheryl A
The first book the Grace and Favor series has Lily and Robert Brewster, former socialites brought way down by the stock market crash of 1929, struggling to make ends even come close, much less meet. When contacted by their Uncle Horatio's lawyer, they find that they have inherited a "cottage" in upstate New York, with strings attached. But Horatio's death wasn't quite the accident it appeared to be and Lily and Robert need to clear the mystery of his death to clear themselves.

There was a little
Diana Petty-stone
Madness and mayhem in the 1930's in New York for a formerly rich brother and sister now down on their luck suddenly inherit an old mansion in a quaint Hudson River community. There is a catch. They must live there for 10 years and the executor of the estate controls all the money which means they have to find a way to support themselves in the mansion. It's a cozy mystery with some quirky characters. All very lovable.
Jim
I began by reading Jill's Jane Jeffry mysteries. They were fine, and I read a lot of that series. While that series was on-going, she began her Grace and Favor mysteries, starting with Anything Goes.

I really liked Anything Goes. It is set in the 1930s (requiring her to do a lot of research, I presume). Two rich kids lose their parents and wealth in the 1929 stock crash. They inherit a mansion from a deceased uncle, of which they must live in for ten years.

Again, as with any mysteries, sometimes
Gloria
First in the "Grace and Favor Mysteries" series, this is a delightful, old-fashioned traditional mystery set in the 1930s. Two young adult Depression-era New York siblings unexpectedly inherit a fortune, but one with strings attached. Will they be able to determine the cause of their uncle's demise?

This series nicely shows the effects of the Great Depression on daily life, but also in the world of high society. This is a witty, gentle read.
Jane Reid
A brother and sister in dire financial straits receive an amazing inheritance with an interesting conditional provision. Really fun. Great feel for the time. Great relationship between the sibs. Fun to see them grow and change.
Mailis Viiand
There are four types of depression that seem to follow me as the year progresses. Autumn depression, winter depression, spring depression and summer depression. Whats depressing about summer you ask? Well it depends...If you are working during summer, then thats the answer number one. If not, then the depression starts emerging in the end of June, when that gloomy jesus, summer is almost over alert creeps into your brain. Well as it is raining and stormy outside, with bare branches and overall c ...more
Pat
Dec 29, 2014 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Brother and sister inherit a home upstate New York.
During depression.
Solve a murder - who killed their uncle?
Christine Brenner
I read this series and enjoyed it very much.
Elizabeth
Entertaining and quick.
Helen
This was a pleasant, cozy read in a classic formula. Alas, that meant I spotted the culprit way too soon for my liking. Still, there were other things to like in the setting and characters, so I will probably look for the next in the series. A web search for photos of Bannerman Castle on the Hudson only adds to the enjoyment, even if you wait until the end. Fascinating place, and apparently you can visit what are now ruins and gardens.
Stacielynn
fun, light and fluffy - i enjoyed going back to the beginning of this series and seeing ghow it all began
Katherine Decker
Lily, Robert, and Jack are some great characters. Fun read- looking forward to the next one.
Kathy  Petersen
I do enjoy finding a mystery series that has a goodly number of titles, is well-written, set in a different place and perhaps a different time, with amiable characters and a solution to the murder(s) that is plausible enough. I've found a lot of these lately, thanks in part to Goodreads, and Ms. Churchill's Grace & Favor mysteries look like another bunch of winners.
Laura Rodd
Fun. Simply fun.
Ferne
I enjoyed the main characters of Lily Brewster and her brother Robert immensely! I usually do not think of actors that could play the parts of the lead characters but for this title I could easily imagine Pierce Bronsan and his leading lady Stephanie Zimbalist from Remington Steele. It's an easy-to-read mystery that was pleasant to curl up with and read.
Jan
The first of the "Grace and Favor" mysteries. The initial premise is a brother and sister who have fallen on hard time due to Depression in New York City. They are left a mansion/cottage by a great uncle and it may be enough to see them through. The problem is how Uncle Horatio died and they are prime suspects due to their inheritance!
Kyrie
These mysteries are set in upstate NY during the depression. Robert and Lily Brewster are formerly rich siblings who've inherited a mansion from their uncle with the stipulation they have to reside there for ten years before they get the fortune that goes with it. They end up opening a boarding house of sorts, and solve mysteries on the side.
Tricia Douglas
This was the first book by Jill Churchill that I've read and I did enjoy it very much. The time period was during the Great Depression and focused a little on the difficulties that people had then. Murder, of course, was the main part of the story that kept me turning the pages. I liked her style and look forward to #2 in the series.
Nikki
Enjoyable mystery set in the Depression -- a brother and sister suffer financial reverses in the Crash and open a sort of B&B in a house upstate. Of course, hijinks as well as mysteries ensue. I think I may go back and read a few more of this series (which I believe all have titles from the Great American Songbook.)
Sophie
It was a pretty good book, also no detective, One of the main character solves the Crime or Mr.Horatio Brewster's death, and another death which occurs of Grace and Favor cottage, It may seem as if the two crimes were in no way conncted, but they were. Again, It was a good book, I do recommend reading.
Liz
I really enjoy this series. It's a well-written cozy mystery, and also a wonderful portrayal of life in the Great Depression. This book is the first in the series. I suspect I would have rated it higher if I had not already read the next 3 books in the series. All stories are read best from the beginning.
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • The Alpine Advocate (Emma Lord Mystery, #1)
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • In The Dead of Winter (Ivy Towers, #1)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Murder Your Darlings (An Algonquin Round Table Mystery #1)
  • Site Unseen (An Emma Fielding Mystery, #1)
  • Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • Blessed Is The Busybody (Ministry Is Murder Mystery,#1)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Ninth Daughter (Abigail Adams #1)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Grace & Favor (7 books)
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor, #3)
  • Love for Sale (Grace & Favor, #4)
  • It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)
  • Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor, #6)
  • Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Grace & Favor,  #7)
Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1) A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2) A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5) War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8) The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)