Start by marking “Murder on the Ghost Walk (Magnolia Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Ghost Walk (Magnolia Mysteries, #1)

Murder on the Ghost Walk (Magnolia Mysteries #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  461 ratings  ·  62 reviews

In Wilmington, almost every old house has a ghost. The mansion that Ashley Wilkes, historic preservationist, is restoring, with its crescendo-thumping spectral organist, is no exception. When Ashley makes a grisly discovery, the residents of quiet, quaint Orange Street are horrified. Halloween weekend finds Ashley and Melanie dressed to kill at the Cape Fear Crime Festival

Published September 30th 2006 by Magnolia Mysteries

girl writing
Great descriptions of the locale, cuisine, architecture and houses. The mystery was interesting. Two things bothered me though. At one point the main character uncovers some evidence that could incriminate her sister. Before confronting her sister to check it out, she tells a friend/co-worker of short acquaintance about it...seemed weird to potentially sell out her sister so quickly. Also, there are a couple of run-ins at social situations with some snarky, rude obnoxious locals and instead of t ...more
Susan
OMG, this book TOO long to read! I found it mildly interesting but thought the author used juvenile dialogue throughout the story. Plus I didn't like the cutsie names of the characters - Ashley Wilkes and Melanie. Please! Some bits were interesting but I felt the story, the characters profession and the relationships and investigating she did just didn't seem involved. Glad I'm done with it. Will not look for the next in this series.
Divya
Terrible! I didn't enjoy this book at all, kept hoping it would get better.
Two corpses found in an ancient mansion wall, two people found with knives stuck in their back, 4 great murders & still it falls flat. There wasn't enough logic for it to be a cozy, not enough reality or emotions for women's literature, not enough gore for horror. A complete waste of a good plot. The only good thing I can say is that the setting, southern-old-world-charm was quite well done.
Books like this one make me
Lesley
I'm a sucker for books with North Carolina settings, and I had high hopes for this book, especially since it was dealing with historic preservation in a North Carolina coastal town. I thought some of the dialogue was pretty simplistic, though, almost childlike. Since I read this book while I had the flu, maybe that had something to do with my impression. Still, the setting bumps this book up to a 3. I'll probably try at least one more book in this series for the same reason.
Nancy
Jan 27, 2014 Nancy added it
this book is a pitiful excuse for a mystery. If this is what people nowadays think a "cozy" mystery is like, no wonder they don't want to read them. There is no wit, no authorial presence, a heroine who is a cipher, a hero who dresses well. Instead there are descriptions of clothing (I don't need to know she's wearing a navy-blue turtleneck or silver hoop earrings), driving directions ("I took Summer Rest Road, then Eastwood until it changed into Martin Luther King expressway and headed downtown ...more
The Crime Scene Scene
Murder On The Ghost Walk is the first novel in the Magnolia Mystery Wilmington series by author Ellen Elizabeth Hunter. Ashley Wilkes is a historic property preservationist working one of Wilmington's historic houses when during the renovation she discovers two old bodies buried in the house. Then while attending a Halloween party her Ashley must contend with a more modern murder.

This novel sees me continuing my Hallowe'en themed October reads. It was an enjoyable novel that blends history with
Ann aka Iftcan
New cozy series featuring an Historic Preservationist in a small town on Cape Fear. Zany characters abound, which, really is why one reads cozies. The descriptions of the historic house that our main character was working on was great. I wouldn't mind a tour of it, if it really existed.
Wysteria
The novel relied on stereotypes a little too much. It was also a little too "cutesy" for me. The characters were annoying and the resolution was unsatisfactory. Also, predictable.
JoAnne

I read this book because it takes place at Halloween - I always like to 'Read the Season,' as it were, and I am glad I did.
Ashley Wilkes, historic preservationist, on her first important job, is restoring a home for a television personality, Mirabelle Morgan. It is not an easy job, either. Ms. Morgan is one of those people who wants everything done her way, the kind of person who is referred to with the capital "B" in front of their nickname (if you get my drift). When she's not making life a li
adlin
This is the first in the Magnolia Mysteries series and is set in Wilmington, NC. For those that have noticed the names, the main character, Ashley Wilkes, confesses that she and her sister were indeed named from Gone with the Wind; her mother was a fan of the movie.

Ashley is a recent college graduate specializing in historic preservation and working on her first project since returning to Wilmington, her home town. Her client is a bit controlling and somewhat over the top. While trying to deal
Teddi
unfortunately, I barely finished it. Felt quite stiff and unpolished. Read like a travelogue with way too much local information that didn't hold my interest. Also way too much extraneous details and information that could have easily be left out in order to aid the flow.
I see there are quite a number of books to continue the series but I have no will to read any more.
Murder on the ghost walk.

Really had a hard time getting into this book. The story was slow and I didn't like any of the characters. They were either boring or irritating. Not to mention the fact that Ashley and Nick went from complete strangers to being in a relationship. There was no development and no chemistry with their relationship.
Adrienne Testa
Ashley Wilkes is a historic preservationist, hired to restore a hundred year old mansion when she discovers two skeletons in a wall. The mystery gets bogged down in all the drama of her mother being sick, every one's secrets and trying to build a friendship with the homicide detective, Nick Yost. Its as if the story takes a detour as Ashley socializes with the people of Wilmington, North Carolina. Half way through the story, you can figure out the identity of the killer. But, you don't really ca ...more
Paula Hrbacek
Ashley Wilkes has taken on the job of restoring a historic home in Wilmington. This home has a rumor of being haunted. People have heard the organ being played at night.
The home went up for auction after the taxes weren’t paid. It was bought by a television star, similar to Martha Stewart, who wants to revamp the kitchen into a set for her cooking show. When they tear out the old dumb waiter they discover two bodies. It must be the previous owners, who were thought to be touring Europe.

This is a
Jo  ROY
Delightful

Murder and romance together, Who could ask for more? Very well written. Keeps you riveted, wondering what will happen next. Highly recommend.
This is definitely a one sitting book.!!!

Julie
I liked this book. Perhaps because I like old houses and I could visualize the mystery taking place in an old house. As I read I kept going back and forth trying to decide who the murderer was and I must admit I didn't figure it out. I like some of the haunted house speculations.

It kept me interested, kept my imagination going and kept me reading. What more can I ask for?
Pat Koetter
Got to love the South!

A great read. Enjoy this author. Would recommend this series to anyone who likes tea cosy books. Interesting setting for a series.
Linda Cole
Very dramatic

Liked the characters and probably will read more there were a lot of misleads and it was very hard to get a feel who was the murderer
Eileen
Got a lot of negative reviews but I thought it was a great who done it mystery. A lot of murder suspects to choose from, take your best shot at it and enjoy
regina wright
Great mystery!

I really enjoyed this book. I usually can figure out the murderer, I didn't with this one, but it all made sense! Fun read!
Carol Bosselman
Enjoyable ghost story. Can tell the author does her research. Engaging characters, and definitely kept me guessing.
Kathy
A quick interesting mystery. Enjoyed reading about historical Wilmington.
Annie
The dialogue left me cold. I couldn't believe who done it.
Ivy
It was a good book...the characters were well developed and the story went along fairly well. Author left just enough clues to help me figure out who the killer was.

The only thing was that it seemed like she spent more then half the book telling me the history of the main characters and the action didn't really happen until the last 3/4 of the book. I think I will try the next book in the series just to see if I like the author's writing and hope that now that I know the characters so well the s
Casey Dawes
Fun little cozy.
Marsha
a fun murder mystery
Bookadventurer
Very cozy and light, I loved the Wilmington NC setting. If you enjoy the If Walls Could Talk series, then you will enjoy this one, or vice-versa. I picked this one up at my local Friends of the Library booksale, but I will definitely be on the look-out for the others in this series.
Judith
Pretty good and enjoyable read!
VJ
I got this book as a free Kindle download ages ago and finally got around to reading it on my Kindle app on my iPod.

I would definitely read more of this author. The story wasn't perfect, but I really loved the characters and the setting and the way the story wove around them. Not the best written book in this genre, but one of the more enjoyable in my mind.
Susan
This murder mystery takes place in Wilmington, North Carolina, with Ashley Wilkes as the main character. It was an okay book and kept me reading to find out who the real murderer was. I kind of got lost in who all of the characters were. And I got a little tired of all of the descriptions of restaurants and food. But it was a pretty good read.
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • A Body in the Backyard (Myrtle Clover Mystery #4)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • Loose Screw (Dusty Deals Mystery #1)
  • Killer Image (Art Gallery Mystery Series #1)
  • Death Comes to Town (Darcy Sweet, #1)
  • Superior Justice
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • No Cure For Murder
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Mind Games (Diana Racine #1)
  • Saints Preserve Us
  • Cooking Spirits (Angie Amalfi, #15)
  • Mean Woman Blues (Skip Langdon, #9)
  • The Gemini Factor
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
  • The Ghost Pirate's Treasure: Mystery of the Jaguar Warrior (Paranormally Yours, #1)

Magnolia Mysteries (10 books)
  • Murder on the Candlelight Tour (Magnolia Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder at the Azalea Festival (Magnolia Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder at Wrightsville Beach (Magnolia Mysteries, #4)
  • Murder On The ICW (Magnolia Mysteries, #5)
  • Murder on the Cape Fear (Magnolia Mysteries, #6)
  • Christmas Wedding (Magnolia Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder at the Bellamy Mansion (Magnolia Mysteries, #8)
  • Murder at the Holiday Flotilla (Magnolia Mysteries, #9)
  • Much Ado About Murder (Magnolia Mysteries, #10)
Murder on the Candlelight Tour (Magnolia Mysteries, #2) Murder at the Azalea Festival (Magnolia Mysteries, #3) Murder at Wrightsville Beach (Magnolia Mysteries, #4) Murder On The ICW (Magnolia Mysteries, #5) Murder at the Bellamy Mansion (Magnolia Mysteries, #8)