Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears' Big Bear, Small Bear” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears' Big Bear, Small Bear

The Berenstain Bears' Big Bear, Small Bear (Step into Reading, Step 1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Small hat, big head.Big hat, small head.Can a bear find a hat that is not too small and not too big, but just right? ...more
Published March 17th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears' Big Bear, Small Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears' Big Bear, Small Bear

Jennifer Heise
Excellent early reader, with the adorable humor of the early Berenstain books. Only a few words on the page, and no preaching.
Michelle  Cropper
This is one of my daughter's favorite books. She even memorized the words and "reads" the story to me. She is four.
Sometimes simple is best, especially when it means my just-graduated-from-kindergartener can read it all by herself!
Sarah Anderson
My four year old son really enjoys reading this book. A must have for little early readers.
James Jones
First they went to get a hat and the little bear took the big hat and the big bear took the small hat. The small bear put on the big hat and the big bear put on the small hat and they said "too small" is what the big bear said and the little bear said "too big" and it was covering his eyes and his nose. All that was showing on his face was his mouth and you could still see some hair from the top of the big bear's head 'cause the hat was too small. They switched and they both said "just right."
Love all Berenstain Bears' books.
This is the first English book that Mitch can "read" from start to finish! It is PERFECT for where he is right now in English, and reading it puts him in a virtuous circle of success with reading! Maybe I should put it on my "currently reading" shelf as I have a feeling we are going to be re-reading this one a lot!
This is the first book Miles has read to me without completely memorizing. It has a simple bank of a couple of dozen basic words and a nice repetitive pattern to the story, great to keep him reading and not getting discouraged. there are several titles in this series I think we'll pick up at the library.
Through this book, Big Bear and Small Bear are constantly getting each others things.

Very funny illustrations paired with simple, repetitive text - just the thing for young children.

Interesting how the naked bears put on bathing suits to go in the water, though....
Elizabeth S
Awesome book for the very beginning of beginningest readers. 2-3 words per page. Involves opposites and comparisons such as "big" versus "small", "too heavy" or "too light".
My 2 year old learned why big people get bigger portions than small people -- all from this book :)
One of Katelyn's simple reads--My girls think it's a funny book!
My almost 3 year old wanted this book read repeatedly.
Jun 28, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, reading to their little ones
Shelves: childrens, 2007
Great story for teaching opposites and for learning to read
Kristy added it
Nov 15, 2015
School Nerd
School Nerd marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Rick marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
  • The Cat in the Hat the Movie!: Cooking with the Cat
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Biscuit's Day at the Farm
  • Baa-Choo!
  • Pizza Pat (Step-Into-Reading, Step 2)
  • Poppleton In Spring
  • Sleepy Dog
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • A Birthday for Bear: An Early Reader
  • Splat the Cat and the Duck with No Quack
  • Wake Up, Sun!
  • Mouse's First Spring
  • Fancy Nancy: Our Thanksgiving Banquet
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
More about Stan Berenstain...

Step into Reading, Step 1 (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Sleepy Dog
  • Big Egg
  • The Snowball (Step-Into-Reading, Step 1)
  • Bear Hugs
  • Hot Dog
  • I Like Bugs
  • Sunshine, Moonshine
  • Cat Traps (Step-Into-Reading, Step 1)
  • Wheels!
  • Elmo Says Achoo! (Sesame Street)