Start by marking “The Whole Enchilada” as Want to Read:
The Whole Enchilada

The Whole Enchilada

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Includes American comic strips featuring the character of Sylvia who offers her opinions on subjects ranging from spot slimming to international disarmament.
Paperback
Published 1993 by Bloomsbury (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Whole Enchilada, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whole Enchilada

Jude
Oct 23, 2008 Jude rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody. your homework assignment.
Shelves: the-f-word
margaret atwood tells of a survey in which groups of men & women were each asked what they feared most about the other sex. The women were afraid they would be killed. The men were afraid they would be laughed at. There is no hatred in Hollander's humor, there is only a dry, sexy, and merciless assessment of reality.
I love authors who can face a world shot through with horror, corruption and cynicism and articulate the dissonance of trying to live with intelligence and compassion in that wo
Kate
Sylvia had a big part in making me the woman I am today.
Valerie
Obviously not truly unabridged--there're strips that I remember which aren't in this tome. But the most comprehensive version I have. I suppose I'll have to try to get some of the short collections. If I only knew where they were sold...

In the meantime, I'll enjoy reading this again, if only to remind myself of what's missing.

It starts, by the way, with a short photoessay (with captions) by the cartoonist herself.

Some of the really good strips are included. One of my favorites: one in which Whi
Linda Weber
I'm hesitant to review here because the actual book I read was written by Diane Mott Davidson but for some reason her name would not come up. Same title - wrong author. I love Davidson's books and did enjoy this latest one. However it did drag on a little more that her usual and I think was a little slow toward the end. I thought I had read her entire culinary series but realize I have one more earlier one to read so - checked it out!
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Bcwhite9
Bcwhite9 marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Stacey
Stacey is currently reading it
May 04, 2014
Laura Narváez
Laura Narváez marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Jason Tsai
Jason Tsai marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Sep 26, 2013
Leslie Stevens lebofsky
Leslie Stevens lebofsky marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Sherry
Sherry added it
Sep 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I am best known for writing and drawing the syndicated cartoon strip, SYLVIA, which appears daily and weekly in more than 30 newspapers across the country, including The Boston Globe, The Berkeley Daily Planet, Women’s e News Online and The Houston Chronicle (online). Sylvia strips appear on BadGirlChats as well. I am represented by the Tribune Media Services Syndicate.

I continue to write and draw
More about Nicole Hollander...
My Cat's Not Fat, He's Just Big-Boned Everything Here is Mine: An Unhelpful Guide to Cat Behavior Cats with Attitude Tales of Graceful Aging from the Planet Denial Tales From The Planet Sylvia