Start by marking “Le feu de la sorcière (Les bannis et les proscrits, #1)” as Want to Read:
Le feu de la sorcière (Les bannis et les proscrits, #1)

Le feu de la sorcière (The Banned and the Banished #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  4,083 ratings  ·  201 reviews
Par une nuit fatale à Alasea, pays ravagé par une malédiction, trois mages accomplissent un ultime sacrifice dans l'espoir, de préserver le bien. Cinq cents ans jour pour jour après cette nuit funeste, une jeune fille hérite d'un pouvoir perdu depuis longtemps. Mais avant qu'elle puisse en saisir les implications, le Seigneur Noir lance ses hordes des ténèbres pour s'empar ...more
Poche, 535 pages
Published November 7th 2008 by Milady (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Le feu de la sorcière, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le feu de la sorcière

Kate Cornett
This is one of my favorite fantasy books of all time. I was stunned and completely entranced by the introduction of the story. It starts out in such a unique and impacting way, and then get's better and better. It is a page-turner for sure, making it extremely difficult to put down.

The characters are interesting, complex, and well thought-out. They definitely add to the reason why this is such a great book. There are some characters that I will never forget--Such as one of the heroes, Er'ril of
Becka Sutton
Jun 19, 2009 Becka Sutton rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't mind formulaic fantasy
This book falls into a very unusual category for me. Books I don't especially like that I manage to finish. Since I only review books I finish this is one of the rare times you'll see a broadly negative review from me.

It took me two attempts. When I first bought it I tried to read it and gave up about a third of the way through. A few months later I uncovered it while tidying up and gave it another shot. This time I finished it, but I still wasn't entirely impressed.

This is Fantasy by the number
Mike (the Paladin)
The synopsis said it grabbed you and wouldn't let you go...I didn't find that. I've read a lot of fantasy and I suppose that after a while when you start one there is always a danger that you'll just get the feeling, "ya I've been here before". i suppose that might be what happened here, I'd seen it all before. It just didn't catch my interest.

I was in a pretty stressful time when i opened this book, but I was looking for something to read and ready for a good fantasy, a good epic fantasy as it
Rose
Jun 01, 2008 Rose rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fantasy lover (Senda)
Recommended to Rose by: Senda
Shelves: i-own-it
This is possibly my favorite fantasy series (next to Tad Williams and Tolkien) and it starts out in a captivating manner. The world is entirely original and beautiful and the characters are beyond wonderful and endearing. It's been a while since I read them, but my experience with reading these was phenomenal.
Nathalia
I absolutely loved this series. What first caught my attention was not just the vast amount of characters in each novel, but also the wonderful characterization and the beautiful world building. However, if you have a terrible memory with names or if you just have a difficult time remembering what ability each character possesses, then I would move swiftly along.

I give this novel and the series 5/5.
Willow
This is not good, and you shouldn't read it. The plot was lacking in originality, but honestly my main problem was with the author's writing. And the bizarre tendency to insert apostrophies in the middle of words in order to make them exotic (that's my best guess, in any case). This series is comparable to a badly written romance series. Fantasy trash.
Jake Hartnett
After the mental scarring Terry Brooks had inflicted on me with Wards of Faerie, I'm surprised I can even stand in the same room as a fantasy novel without needing counselling! But scars must heal with time, as I rather enjoyed my first real venture down the roads of the fantasy genre.

This book was recommended by my best mate, who's read the whole series and swears by them; and considering I always bend his ear about reading everything that I like, I thought it only fair to take on one of his ow
Danielle
I liked this series, but seem to remember cringing at some prtty sexist plot-lines. (But apparently it wasn't enough to throw me off the series - which is something I am known for doing.) It was a pretty well-paced, original and interesting story.
Kirk
This is part one of a 5 part series called "the Books of the Banned and the Banished". its JRR Tolien's "lord of the Rings" on steroids mixed with acid. Unstoppable fantastic read.
Barefootinthedirt
Dec 13, 2008 Barefootinthedirt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barefootinthedirt by: Donna
Shelves: favorites, series
This series is amazing, so easy to slip into the place of the main character and get tangled in the story. When I start reading, I just can't put it down.
Travis Simmons
I read this book years ago (so many I don't want to count them) and loved it. I had read the second book as well, but couldn't remember if I got any further than that. I decided to go back and give it a chance again, from the beginning, so that I could read it in its entirety.

I am glad I did. It was still very enjoyable. There were a couple complaints, but not anything to do with the storyline or the writing. Well, a little to do with the writing, but not much. One was description, while it was
Kerrie Hinton
Banned and Banished Series

For years I've been looking around for a trilogy to match the fantastic David Edding's Belgariad and Malloreon series and I have to say James Clemen's first novel of the `Banned and Banished' series is looking hopeful. If it wasn't for the really frustrating cliff-hangers I'd give it top marks.

O.k. I'll concede you need a few cliff-hangers to keep the reader captivated and this book could be made into an incredible movie. It's not only a very good story, but it would be
Emilie
I'm not a reader of this kind of high fantasy (epic?), the only other series I can link this one to is The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien... it says a lot about my high fantasy culture *lol*. But I truly loved reading it.
Just like in TLR, we have a long and perilous quest to deliver the world of darkness, a bunch of different but allied characters, mythical creatures and of course a young hero/heroine whose destiny is bound with their world's fate.

But Wit'ch Fire has two things that Tolkien's saga
Gaijinmama
I agree with both the positive and negative reviews on this one.
It was captivating, or I wouldn't have bothered finishing it.
I liked several of the characters or at least found them compelling.
I was REALLY bothered by the awkward, stiff dialogue and a few writing-tics the author has, such as needing to emphasize a point by repeating it. ("He found himself completely immobilized. He could not move." Like that. Grrrrrrrrrr!) I will be continuing with the series, though, because I am particularly
Landon K.
This was one of those slog-through books. Sure, there were cliff-hangers; sure, there were some cool-featured characters; sure, some of the fantasy concepts were pretty interesting--but the writing itself reminded me strongly of my first completed novel...somethin I wrote in fifth grade. It was very wearisome, and the weak prose led to weak story elements...Things just went downhill from there. The pacing was thrilling enough at times, but mostly it felt uneven--like when all the characters were ...more
Marc
Fini il y a quelques jours, j'avoue garder un avis assez mitigé à son sujet. L'histoire est sympa, on est dans de l'heroic fantasy de base donc il n'y a pas trop de surprise. Beaucoup d'action aussi, peut-être au détriment des personnages, mais en même temps ça n'est qu'un tome de présentation.

Au niveau du style de l'auteur, il est assez simple et fluide mais, justement, un peu trop simple à mon sens (à moins que ça ne vienne de la traduction). Du coup, entre le jeune age de l'héroïne, le manque
Jazzmin Hunter
An interesting enough story to finish in spite of being poorly written. There were too many types of characters (witch, the witch's uncle who talks to his dead twin sister, mage, darkmage, elf, ogre, a shape shifter stuck as a man, a shape shifter stuck as a wolf, goblins, a mountain man, a nyphai, some evil lord, a guy who is only a vessel of evil, a moon falcon, some winged creatures, etc). Laughable similes ("Kral waited, his brows bunched like thunderheads.") Way to many cliches. Dozens of t ...more
Vodis
Ce premier tome de la série est assez particulier, et trompeur.
Si on s'y fiait, on s'en arreterait là, et ce serait franchement une erreur...
Nous suivons les aventures d'Elena, et dans une certaine mesure, de son frère Joach. Ils se retrouvent arrachés à leur foyer lorsque deux individus à la solde du seigneur ténébreux qui règne sur leurs terres depuis cinq siècles font irruption dans leur vie et assassinent les parents des deux enfants. Pourquoi? Parce que Elena possède un pouvoir qui pourra l
Christine Smith
James Clemens brings to life a dark sinister evil that glares back at you from the pages of Wit'ch Fire. With a dark gothic feel the reader is taken on a frantic ride of love, betrayal, and fear. With a unique beginning that tugs at that small piece of humanity that always wants answers to even the darkest secrets, the reader is pulled into his world. The book is filled with magic and adventure that makes this reader anxious for the next in the series.

James Clemens introduces an unforgettable c
Linda
I struggled through this book. The story was good, but dragged on for so long that I just wanted to give up. I believe the entire story could be amazing if the author would pick up the pace a bit. That being said, I don't see myself perusing this story in the other books, I don't think I could bring myself to drag through another one. It should NEVER take an entire book just to bring the party together to start the story.
Traci Loudin
After reading some of James Clemens later stuff (Godslayer), I decided to pick up some of his earlier works. Stay away from this book if you were impressed with the Godslayer series and haven't read his earlier stuff. The story seems alright enough at first, but within the first few chapters, it falls flat. I couldn't even get to the end of the first book... glad I didn't buy the series.
Vivian
A creative combination of mythical creatures adapted to fit James Clemens Wit'ch Fire. Heartpounding action and suspense keep you hanging onto every last word. I didn't like the way that Clemens jumped from this character to that character especially when something unexpected happens. The gruesome and vivid descriptions allow the readers to become more engaged to the plot.
Sammy Smith
This series ranks in my top fantasy books of all time. They're old school fantasy - good vs bad. With a strong female MC and a band of characters who are neither black or white. James Clemens writes characters that are complex, interesting and full of depth. I think this was his first book, and now he writes as James Rollins.
Andrea
It was good but I'm really tired of getting hold of books that leave off like cliff hangers. I want to read authors who are confident enough in their craft that their readers will pick up book two because they liked one so well...not because they have to read more just to finish an original plot.

Grrrr
Steve
Rather than a story punctuated with action, this is an action sequence occasionally punctuated with tiny bits of story. That may be to some readers' taste, but not mine.

Part of me wishes Clemens had written a new setting for a fantasy roleplaying game rather than a novel. He has clever ideas for fantasy races and magics. He re-imagines fantasy tropes like nyads, elves, ogres, sorcerers, etc. in ways that could be interesting. Unfortunately, the story is entirely driven by luck and prophesy, rat
Heather
This was a free kindle book, and I obviously liked it enough and the story was compelling enough to purchase the next 4 books in the series.
Ashley White
Feb 23, 2014 Ashley White rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy
Recommended to Ashley by: James Rollins
By far one of the best fantasy novels ever written. This book has witches, wizards, ogres, elves, tree spirits, goblins.... there's literally no end to the magic, and the complete and utter horror. Clemens manages to write creatures so horrifying and disgusting that you cant help but cringe in sympathy for the characters and race to read on to see how they manage to get past each monstrosity.
The book begins with the most fabulous line. "Do not trust the author, for he is a liar." And how does
Randy
One of my favorite writers as Rollins. It's okay, but haven't yet gotten to any of his other fantasies.
Taksya
Un fantasy abbastanza classico, con una protagonista che resta sola al mondo dopo pochi capitoli, con una cerca che unisce vari personaggi, dalle origini e dal destino più disparato e con l'utilizzo di creature tipiche della tradizione fantastica e i nomi che - con l'aggiunta di una "h" o di un apostrofo - diventano esotici... tipico, certo... però... Lo stile di James "Rollins" Clemens c'è tutto e la storia, per quanto simile a tante altre, prende e ti porta avanti, fino alla fine di questo pri ...more
Indika De Silva
It is my opinion that the following novel is a very good book to read if you are new to the genre of fantasy/adventure. It contains all the usual elements found in such fiction such as heroes with past filled with tragedy, weird monsters, wise aged men, witches, quests, kidnapping etc..

The story is very delightful. The language and prose is very uncomplicated and makes a rather easy read. It is a clear page turner as the book contains many cliff-hangers and other suspenseful elements.

Alright...
  • King's Property (Queen of the Orcs, #1)
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • Duality (Guardians of the Light #1)
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways (Rhiannon Godfrey, #1)
  • The Marquis (Gypsy Legacy, #1)
  • Amberville
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2)
  • Exposure
  • Elric: The Stealer of Souls (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #1)
  • Primitive
  • Children of Amarid (Lon Tobyn Chronicle #1)
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • Changelings
  • The Hunters
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • Moonstone (Unbidden Magic, #1)
James Rollins and James Clemens are two of the pen names of American veterinarian Jim Czajkowski (born 1961), author of bestselling fantasy and action-packed adventure-thrillers. He sold his veterinary practice in Sacramento, California, to concentrate full-time on writing.

James is an amateur spelunker and a certified scuba diver. These pastimes provide much fodder for his novels, which are often
More about James Clemens...

The Banned and the Banished (5 books)
  • Wit'ch Storm (The Banned and the Banished, #2)
  • Wit'ch War (The Banned and the Banished, #3)
  • Wit'ch Gate (The Banned and the Banished, #4)
  • Wit'ch Star (The Banned and the Banished, #5)
Wit'ch Storm (The Banned and the Banished, #2) Wit'ch War (The Banned and the Banished, #3) Wit'ch Gate (The Banned and the Banished, #4) Wit'ch Star (The Banned and the Banished, #5) Shadowfall (Godslayer Chronicles, #1)