Start by marking “The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  4,003 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Many of us want to learn "how to draw." But as artist Anthony Ryder explains, it's much more important to learn what to draw. In other words, to observe and draw what we actually see, rather than what we think we see. When it comes to drawing the human figure, this means letting go of learned ideas and expectation of what the figure should look like. It means carefully obs ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Watson-Guptill Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing

Katharine
The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing is a step-by-step instructional manual describing one particular approach to drawing the figure. The author's drawings are lovely and I could probably never do anything as polished and masterful. But I also think his approach may need to be modified for each person's style. The book might have been a little more helpful if he'd included other drawings (by his students perhaps) as examples, rather than illustrating only with his own work. As a result ...more
Heidi
I enjoyed the overall tone of the book -- friendly and helpful. The discussions on rendering and pencil-hatching techniques were highlights for me, and I intend to do some studies from his example drawings.
Martha Smith
This book is easily one of the very best textbooks on how to do charcoal figure drawing. The book has numerous drawings that illustrate all of the principles in each lesson clearly and precisely. I highly recommend this book to beginning, intermediate and advanced drawing students.
Katie Elmore
As a Sequential Art major, I found this incredibly helpful. Ryder's figures are so softly rendered. I strongly recommend this to anyone who wants to learn how to draw the human form more accurately and, with enough repetition, from the mind.
jdbartone
This loses a star only because of its misleading title. This is not a compete guide to figure drawing. It is a complete guide to one particular method of figure drawing. It's a method I find very appealing and the end result is quite beautiful, but it is by no means the only way to draw a figure. That being said, for what it is this book is an exceptional instructional tool: a well-written, lucid, gorgeously and lavishly illustrated description of a traditional, painstaking, unhurried approach t ...more
Badis
May 28, 2014 Badis added it
Serge Pierro
Anthony Ryder presents a book on figure drawing that will leave you breathless. His artwork is amazing, and he is able to clearly present his thoughts to the serious student. Although there are sections with step by step instruction, due to the nature of his "pencil washes", this material would be better off being presented in a video format, so that the techniques could be demonstrated in action. And as I mentioned earlier... the included examples of the artwork are amazing!
James
A very philosophical approach to an analysis of drawing the figure. Not a step by step book, although the approach is in there if you dig; envelope, refine, render. The author is both a great teacher and artist.

Anderson Gonzalez
If you are into figure drawing, this is the most amazing book I have found. It has inspired me in a great way. Anthony Ryder is a realistic/classical artist, simply amazing.
Jennifer Ware
beautiful, i just don't have the skills, yet...
Jedkimball
Very tight drawings... tough act to follow
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Linda Regalado
Linda Regalado marked it as to-read
Mariko
Mariko marked it as to-read
Ghoghnos
Ghoghnos marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Mansour Mikaeili
Mansour Mikaeili marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Frienna
Frienna marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Khfox
Khfox marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Fitsum
Fitsum marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Drawing Dynamic Hands
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques
  • How to Draw What You See
  • Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Drawing on the Artist Within
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 1
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head
Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Perspective on the Classical Tradition