Start by marking “The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,558 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Many of us want to learn "how to draw." But as artist Anthony Ryder explains, it's much more important to learn what to draw. In other words, to observe and draw what we actually see, rather than what we think we see. When it comes to drawing the human figure, this means letting go of learned ideas and expectation of what the figure should look like. It means carefully obs ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Watson-Guptill Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing

Heidi
Apr 06, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the overall tone of the book -- friendly and helpful. The discussions on rendering and pencil-hatching techniques were highlights for me, and I intend to do some studies from his example drawings.
Katharine
Jan 11, 2009 Katharine rated it liked it
The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing is a step-by-step instructional manual describing one particular approach to drawing the figure. The author's drawings are lovely and I could probably never do anything as polished and masterful. But I also think his approach may need to be modified for each person's style. The book might have been a little more helpful if he'd included other drawings (by his students perhaps) as examples, rather than illustrating only with his own work. As a resul ...more
Denise
Jul 23, 2015 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: art
I'm reading and reviewing this book this week for a blog post next weekend.

Preface and Introduction: Getting to know the artist and what to expect from the book. Pretty basic stuff.

Chapter 1&2: The Materials, Technique, and Blocking In. Chapter one starts with a discussion of paper types, weight, texture, and tone. Also gives an excellent recommendation to use acid-free papers with rag content. The chapter ends with some basic information on pencils, pastels, and erasers and how to use a pen
Martha Smith
Jul 05, 2014 Martha Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This book is easily one of the very best textbooks on how to do charcoal figure drawing. The book has numerous drawings that illustrate all of the principles in each lesson clearly and precisely. I highly recommend this book to beginning, intermediate and advanced drawing students.
Nathan
May 13, 2015 Nathan rated it really liked it
This book presents a specific method of figure drawing that one can incorporate in part or in whole.
For my part, I was made aware of some powerful concepts that will definitely immediately improve my work. In particular, the concept of the "terminus" between light and shadow being used as a central point to define form. It's clearly present in many great drawings and paintings, but it's something I had never fully understood or internalized. Feels like I've found a missing puzzle piece.

This ha
jdbartone
Nov 28, 2011 jdbartone rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This loses a star only because of its misleading title. This is not a compete guide to figure drawing. It is a complete guide to one particular method of figure drawing. It's a method I find very appealing and the end result is quite beautiful, but it is by no means the only way to draw a figure. That being said, for what it is this book is an exceptional instructional tool: a well-written, lucid, gorgeously and lavishly illustrated description of a traditional, painstaking, unhurried approach t ...more
Badis
May 28, 2014 Badis added it
Serge Pierro
Nov 20, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Anthony Ryder presents a book on figure drawing that will leave you breathless. His artwork is amazing, and he is able to clearly present his thoughts to the serious student. Although there are sections with step by step instruction, due to the nature of his "pencil washes", this material would be better off being presented in a video format, so that the techniques could be demonstrated in action. And as I mentioned earlier... the included examples of the artwork are amazing!
James
Jan 09, 2011 James rated it it was amazing
A very philosophical approach to an analysis of drawing the figure. Not a step by step book, although the approach is in there if you dig; envelope, refine, render. The author is both a great teacher and artist.

Anderson Gonzalez
May 06, 2008 Anderson Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
If you are into figure drawing, this is the most amazing book I have found. It has inspired me in a great way. Anthony Ryder is a realistic/classical artist, simply amazing.
Jennifer Ware
Sep 26, 2011 Jennifer Ware rated it liked it
Shelves: art-crafts
beautiful, i just don't have the skills, yet...
Jedkimball
Very tight drawings... tough act to follow
Nanely Baez
Nanely Baez rated it really liked it
Tylor Arnold
Tylor Arnold rated it it was amazing
Imani McAlister
Imani McAlister rated it it was amazing
Lessie C Reith
Lessie C Reith rated it it was amazing
Omar
Omar marked it as to-read
David Alvarez
David Alvarez marked it as to-read
Cynthia Mello
Cynthia Mello rated it liked it
Kourtney
Kourtney rated it really liked it
Christa Huff
Christa Huff rated it liked it
Kirat
Kirat rated it it was amazing
Adriele
Adriele rated it it was amazing
Laureen Houllou
Laureen Houllou marked it as to-read
Ali Radwan
Ali Radwan rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Youssef
Youssef rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Kamal
Kamal marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Beth Bagayan
Beth Bagayan rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • Drawing Dynamic Hands
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head
  • Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • How to Draw What You See
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Egon Schiele: Drawings and Watercolors