Lear's Daughters

Lear's Daughters

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Set in the future on a distant world, Lear’s Daughters tackles the issues of global warming, pollution, exploitation of resources, and disastrous climate change. Long out of print, it has been completely rewritten by the authors to reflect the cutting-edge knowledge and research on environmentalism of the twenty-first century.
Published February 3rd 2009 by DAW Hardcover (first published January 1st 1986)

Kate
A wonderful update of a brilliant duology first published in the 1980s. The storyline is pretty much the same as the original, but the writing is tighter, the motivations for the characters are better explained, and things aren't quite as black and white as in the original.

The addition of references to an ecologically destroyed earth are fascinating. It's never made completely clear in the book exactly what has gone wrong on earth, but there is clearly a global warming environmental catastrophe...more
MJ
739 pages! If you're looking for something along the "saga" line this is a good one for "anthropolotical scifi." Story opens as already marooned scientific/business spacers find the snow and ice they've crashed in beginning to melt at unheard of speed. The natives, seemingly a primitive culture living in caves, rush to help them survive. There are environmental messages all over the place both for the Sawls of the planet Fixx as well as the human crew. I shall give nothing else away.

Kellogg and...more
Vineet
Strange... very strange. And yet so familiar.

A tightly controlled system gone astray, and yet the locals are in harmony with their environment... The visiting Terran team is shown woefully out of sorts, despite their advanced technology.

This book - rather a set of two - will make eerie sense to anyone concerned about the state of today's ecology and weather.
Terence
Sep 23, 2012 Terence added it
Recommended to Terence by: Library booksale
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Couldn't get past the first 100 pages. Nothing "grabbed" me about the story and I have enough books to-read - or to review :-( - that I don't want to waste my time on this one at the moment.

I'll keep it stashed away in my closet somewhere because there might come a time when I would want to read it but I don't think it would rate more than a 2 even then.
MB
Sep 11, 2010 MB marked it as unfinished
Shelves: science-fiction
Skimmed this. Didn't like any of the characters enough to sit and read through all of this very loooong book. Plot was somewhat interesting, but not enough for me to wade through stuck with people (characters)that I didn't particularly like or care enough about.

Alan
Oct 19, 2009 Alan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Explorers
Recommended to Alan by: Indirectly, by William Shakespeare
I'd just watched a BBC adaptation of Shakespeare's "King Lear," and so was intrigued by the title of this book—and by its massive size.

Turns out this is a revised and combined edition of two novels from the mid-1980s: The Wave and the Flame and Reign of Fire, originally published as by M. Bradley Kellogg. As such, this volume is an interesting example of changing trends in marketing, and perhaps too of a relaxation of gender biases in sf publishing. Science fiction's history is full of tales abo...more
Eowyn
This 700+ page science fiction novel took me a long time to read (I read two other books before finishing it), and though it was slow-going at times, I really liked it. Both the Terran scientists and the Sawls (natives of the planet they're visiting) are complex, believable characters who grow and change as they get to know each other and face many different types of challenges. The central mystery is continually engaging and has a satisfying conclusion, the planetary and climate science of the...more
Jason Reeser
After reading the first one hundred pages, I can say this is better than I had hoped it would be. As good as any Jack McDevitt, and just as big in its scope and ambition. Kellogg manages to create a world that is not only fantastic, but very believeable as well. Now, if I only had time to sit down and read it all at once!

Okay, I found the time and it was well worth it. This book really caught my attention. Kellog manages to tell an older style sci-fi story without it feeling dated or too light w...more
Anne D
If this book hadn't been so poorly written it probably wouldn't have taken 739 pages to tell the story. The themes were intriguing but poorly executed, and while there were several strong female characters they were relegated to the sidelines of the overall story.
Matthew Hester
What can I say? When it takes two attempts to start reading a book; and the second one only half-hazardously; it doesn't bode well for the quality of the story.
Tina
A very long book(over 700pgs)but well worth the time to read..I would recommend this book to any die hard reader!!!
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Mirabellejc
Mirabellejc marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Sirana
Sirana marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
K Davis
K Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Kris Thompson
Kris Thompson marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Bijal
Bijal is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2013
Walter Underwood
Walter Underwood marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Mjw
Mjw marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Keitorin
Keitorin marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Melissa Areland
Melissa Areland marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Book of Earth (Dragon Quartet, #1) The Book of Water (Dragon Quartet, #2) The Book of Fire (Dragon Quartet, #3) The Book of Air (Dragon Quartet #4) The Dragon Quartet Omnibus, Volume 1