Start by marking “Lear's Daughters” as Want to Read:
Lear's Daughters

Lear's Daughters (Lear's Daughters #1,2)

Set in the future on a distant world, Lear’s Daughters tackles the issues of global warming, pollution, exploitation of resources, and disastrous climate change. Long out of print, it has been completely rewritten by the authors to reflect the cutting-edge knowledge and research on environmentalism of the twenty-first century.
Published February 3rd 2009 by DAW Hardcover (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Lear's Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lear's Daughters

Feb 22, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
A wonderful update of a brilliant duology first published in the 1980s. The storyline is pretty much the same as the original, but the writing is tighter, the motivations for the characters are better explained, and things aren't quite as black and white as in the original.

The addition of references to an ecologically destroyed earth are fascinating. It's never made completely clear in the book exactly what has gone wrong on earth, but there is clearly a global warming environmental catastrophe
Oct 19, 2009 Alan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Explorers
Recommended to Alan by: Indirectly, by William Shakespeare
I'd just watched a BBC adaptation of Shakespeare's "King Lear," and so was intrigued by the title of this book—and by its massive size.

Turns out this is a revised and combined edition of two novels from the mid-1980s: The Wave and the Flame and Reign of Fire, originally published as by M. Bradley Kellogg. As such, this volume is an interesting example of changing trends in marketing, and perhaps too of a relaxation of gender biases in sf publishing. Science fiction's history is full of tales abo
May 23, 2011 MJ rated it really liked it
739 pages! If you're looking for something along the "saga" line this is a good one for "anthropolotical scifi." Story opens as already marooned scientific/business spacers find the snow and ice they've crashed in beginning to melt at unheard of speed. The natives, seemingly a primitive culture living in caves, rush to help them survive. There are environmental messages all over the place both for the Sawls of the planet Fixx as well as the human crew. I shall give nothing else away.

Kellogg and
Jason Reeser
Feb 27, 2012 Jason Reeser rated it really liked it
After reading the first one hundred pages, I can say this is better than I had hoped it would be. As good as any Jack McDevitt, and just as big in its scope and ambition. Kellogg manages to create a world that is not only fantastic, but very believeable as well. Now, if I only had time to sit down and read it all at once!

Okay, I found the time and it was well worth it. This book really caught my attention. Kellog manages to tell an older style sci-fi story without it feeling dated or too light w
Aug 20, 2009 Vineet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Strange... very strange. And yet so familiar.

A tightly controlled system gone astray, and yet the locals are in harmony with their environment... The visiting Terran team is shown woefully out of sorts, despite their advanced technology.

This book - rather a set of two - will make eerie sense to anyone concerned about the state of today's ecology and weather.
Sep 23, 2012 Terence added it
Recommended to Terence by: Library booksale
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Couldn't get past the first 100 pages. Nothing "grabbed" me about the story and I have enough books to-read - or to review :-( - that I don't want to waste my time on this one at the moment.

I'll keep it stashed away in my closet somewhere because there might come a time when I would want to read it but I don't think it would rate more than a 2 even then.
MB (What she read)
Sep 11, 2010 MB (What she read) marked it as unfinished
Shelves: science-fiction
Skimmed this. Didn't like any of the characters enough to sit and read through all of this very loooong book. Plot was somewhat interesting, but not enough for me to wade through stuck with people (characters)that I didn't particularly like or care enough about.

Oct 01, 2012 Eowyn rated it really liked it
This 700+ page science fiction novel took me a long time to read (I read two other books before finishing it), and though it was slow-going at times, I really liked it. Both the Terran scientists and the Sawls (natives of the planet they're visiting) are complex, believable characters who grow and change as they get to know each other and face many different types of challenges. The central mystery is continually engaging and has a satisfying conclusion, the planetary and climate science of the ...more
Anne D
Feb 17, 2014 Anne D rated it it was ok
If this book hadn't been so poorly written it probably wouldn't have taken 739 pages to tell the story. The themes were intriguing but poorly executed, and while there were several strong female characters they were relegated to the sidelines of the overall story.
Jan 15, 2015 EL rated it really liked it
This is great science fiction on many levels: social, anthropological and physical. The world building is great. The aliens, perhaps not the best I have ever met, but alien enough. I was happy when I found these books and I wonder that I found them so long after they were first published.
Matthew Hester
Sep 19, 2011 Matthew Hester rated it it was ok
What can I say? When it takes two attempts to start reading a book; and the second one only half-hazardously; it doesn't bode well for the quality of the story.
Jun 08, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
A very long book(over 700pgs)but well worth the time to read..I would recommend this book to any die hard reader!!!
Natalya Sousa
Natalya Sousa rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Tinuke rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2009
Anne rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Steven Bass
Steven Bass rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2010
Gregory Marshall
Gregory Marshall rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2010
Dwer rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Jess rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2011
Larry Barrows
Larry Barrows rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Jason rated it did not like it
Sep 29, 2012
Sue Blaikie
Sue Blaikie rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2015
Kathy rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2011
Daniel rated it really liked it
May 12, 2012
Rebecca Weedon
Rebecca Weedon rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Ann rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2010
Beth rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Caitlin rated it really liked it
May 09, 2013
Chris rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2010
Kris rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2011

Lear's Daughters (3 books)
  • The Wave and the Flame (Lear's Daughters, #1)
  • Reign of Fire (Lear's Daughters, #2)