Start by marking “Money, Money, Money (87th Precinct Series, Number 51)” as Want to Read:
Money, Money, Money (87th Precinct Series, Number 51)

Money, Money, Money (87th Precinct #51)

It is Christmas in the city, but it isn't the giving season. A retired Gulf War pilot, a careless second-story man, a pair of angry Mexicans, and an equally shady pair of Secret Service agents are in town after a large stash of money, and no one is interested in sharing.The detectives at the 87th are already busy for the holidays. Steve Carella and Fat Ollie Weeks catch th ...more
Published September 6th 2001 by Simon&Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Money, Money, Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Money, Money, Money

James Thane
In one of those odd twists of fate, this book was first published on September 6, 2001, and one of the threads in the book involves a terrorist plot against a target in Isola, which is the author's thinly veiled stand-in for New York City. Five days later, McBain was out touring in support of the book and in the wake of the terrorists' attacks of that day, he was forced to abandon the tour, rent a car and drive back home to NYC.

The book opens with a former combat pilot who flew missions in the G
Book Concierge
Book on CD read by Ron McLarty

This is book # 51 (!) in the 87th Precinct series of police procedurals, set in a fictious large city “back East,” and featuring the detectives of the 87th Precinct. In this novel seemingly unconnected murder victims are ultimately tied together in a conspiracy involving drug-dealing and counterfeiting.

This is the first book by McBain that I’ve read, and it will not be the last! Fast-paced, intricate plotting and colorful characters make for a quick and enjoyable r
Skip
Sep 21, 2014 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
2.75 stars. IMHO, while this book had its moments, invariably revolving around Fat Ollie Weeks, who saves Steve Carella's life not once, but twice, the plot was very far fetched. The basic plot revolved around some seemingly unrelated murders and thefts, involved Mexican drug smuggling and counterfeit $100 bills. The conspiracy part of the plot, the Arab terrorists, and involvement of the Secret Service was a real stretch although the sensational murder by ice pick and lion eating was pretty cle ...more
Beverly Lawrence
Feb 19, 2011 Beverly Lawrence rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dreadful beyond imagination. At around page 100 - when the author uses a four letter 'word' to describe one of the minor 'background' female characters, I was determined to quit the book - but this title was chosen by the adult mystery book discussion group at my public library, so I felt bound to complete this waste of trees. Not only was the story 'stock', it seemed the author was determined to add as many murders as possible, in one story. It combined the huge flaws of idiotic behaviour by ot ...more
K
Jan 17, 2016 K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pages filled with Ed McBain's dialogue are like Lay's Potato Chips-- betcha can't read just one!
McBain has written a twisting, turning plot that follows the money... And the interconnected lives of a diverse set of crooks and cops. We gain more insight into fat Ollie Weeks-- his bigotry and his surprising flashes of competence as a cop-- a character one can love to hate.
We enjoy Detective Carella's grudgingly revealing himself and his fears-- making him that much more of a favorite character i
Frank
Jul 25, 2012 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is average for McBain. It is definitely a good story that also shows the characters getting older and questioning many things. The is especially true of Detective Carella. It just didn't flow like many of the earlier 87th Precinct novels.
J. Ewbank
Another 87 precince story. There is conflict, there is greed, and there is money, money, money. This is a good and quick read and enjoyable.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
L
Sep 16, 2016 L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Ed McBain is just SO good! Today I'm in the need for distraction, so I'm about to begin another of his books.
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
Excellent book. Involved plot that kept me guessing, great characters. Carella's personal issues were solved a bit too glibly at the end, but hey, this is Crime, not Psychological Thriller.
Janet York
The writing and dialog is excellent. However, the story was predictable and a bit convoluted.
Joe  Noir
Nov 28, 2016 Joe Noir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel opens with drug smuggling over the US/Mexico border. A nude woman is found torn to pieces in the lion den at the zoo which straddles the 87th and 88th precincts. A burglar is approached by the Secret Service for passing a counterfeit 100 dollar bill. A sales rep for a small publishing firm is found stuffed in a garbage can with a gunshot wound to the back of the head. A blonde picks up a drug dealer in a bar, and she and another female in a limo convince him to pay monies owed at the ...more
Alton Motobu
Between Christmas and New Year's, Carella and Fat Ollie investigate murders, drugs, and terrorism all connected with over $200K in counterfeit money. A small book publishing company is a front for international drug smuggling and counterfeiting; a hit squad of beautiful women almost kills Carella but Fat Ollie saves him. Sub plot about Carella's family concerned that he is changing for the worst is not interesting. Not one of McBain's better 87th mysteries. To see McBain at his best read Lullaby ...more
Eric_W
Nov 15, 2008 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how he does it. McBain, a.k.a. Evan Hunter, author of The Blackboard Jungle, has been turning out excellent police procedurals for half a century. Most are based on a mythical 87th Precinct in an unidentified city resembling New York. All have great plot lines and wonderful dialogue that often borders on the hysterical. It's like having a bunch of guys get together and have them talk at cross purposes in short, staccato phrases that individually make sense, but together have an unde ...more
David Schwinghammer
When I first read an 87th precinct novel, I didn't like it. Not enough character development. Later, I went to a book sale at the library, got three of them in one book for a quarter. After reading all three, I got to know the detectives and their back stories. Steve Carella is the center of the stories. He's got a deaf mute wife and a son and a daughter, fraternal twins. He also has a chip on his shoulder over the way his father died (in a stick-up) and how the case was handled. Meyer Meyer is ...more
Cathy
Oct 25, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, police
This is the 51st book in McBain’s 87th Precinct series – another very good read. This one starts out with the murder of a female ex-military pilot who took on a side job as a drug runner – her body found in pieces difficult to ID initially as she was being eaten by lions in the zoo. Eeeww! Nice beginning to the book! Before the lions got to her, however, she was stabbed in the head with an ice pick – so, not suicide, not an accident – the lions were there to cover up her identity. Detectives Ste ...more
Tony Gleeson
Dec 21, 2009 Tony Gleeson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 51st book in the 87th Precinct series (I've been on another McBain kick lately, still more or less in chronological order, and shall follow up with a few more). This one could almost pass for one of Donald Westlake's complicated capers, filled as it is with international intrigue, drug smuggling, counterfeit money, nasty drug dealers both domestic and imported, an appealing Gulf War veteran soldier-of-fortune (who happens to be a gorgeous redheaded female), two blonde lady assassins, ...more
Ed
Jan 31, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#51 in the 87th Precinct series. Finalist 2002 Edgar Award for Best Mystery Novel.

87th Precinct mysteries - Carella and Meyer must team up on a murder investigation with Fat Ollie Weeks of the 88th because the lion habitat at the Isola Zoo straddles the boundary between the two precincts and one of the lions dragged part of a victim's body onto the 88th's turf. The body in the lion's den leads the detectives to several things: to a burglary, or at least the burglar; to some strange doings by the
Vannessa Anderson
Ed McBain is the leader when it comes to writing police crime thrillers! When I read a 87th precinct novel I know I’m going to get the real deal. Ed McBain writes from the hip and he takes no prisoners and he doesn’t concern himself with being politically correct. None of the detectives are portrayed as superhuman. They are racists, have personal problems, have mental health issues and come from backgrounds not unlike the readers.

The detectives at the 87th are looking for the killers of a young
Joyce
Nov 25, 2015 Joyce rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like this book. If it hadn't been a Book Club pick, I'd never have finished it. Too dark, too violent, too depressing... There were a lot of undefined characters who came and went, and whose parts in the story were murky. Even at the end, when all was revealed, I was still kind of confused. Just seems like there were a lot of storylines going on at once to keep up with. I don't know whether this dark underbelly truly exists to this degree, but, if so, I don't want to know about i ...more
Chris Bubb
Apr 29, 2014 Chris Bubb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very solid entry in the 87th Precinct series. I liked the overall storyline, and the tie-in to terrorism and the work of our intelligence agencies added to it. I can honestly say I've never read a bad Ed McBain novel. They're always engaging and entertaining, the perfect companion to have on a lunch break or a long layover. I would really give this one 3 1/2 stars, but since that's not an option, and since 3 is too few, I'm going with 4.
Bonnie Fazio
This was my first 87th Precinct book, and it hooked me. I was somewhat dissatisfied with the ending -- not because it ended "wrong," but because I felt there were a lot of loose ends. Possibly there was something I just didn't get.

In any case, various recurring characters piqued my interest, and I'm now reading some of the earlier (MUCH earlier) novels in the series. Boy, are they different -- but mainly in terms of culture, lingo, societal attitudes, and like that there.
Christopher Taylor
Not a bad entry in the long series of cop novels by McBain. A story of drug smuggling, counterfeiting, and a secret behind it all. I'm less fond of the "Fat" Ollie Weeks character not because he's a bigot, but because he's so often just a cartoon. He also alternates irrationally between completely incompetent idiot and great cop based on the plot requirement. But it was a decent story with some interesting police work.
Eric
Apr 06, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun entry in the 87th Precinct series. McBain's sharp dialog and occasional humor are in good form. The plot seemed a bit convoluted at first but luckily wrapped up pretty well at the end, while at the same time suggesting that some of the plot will continue to the next book. I hope it does.
Ginny
Sep 09, 2008 Ginny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2005, borrowed
Set in the 87th precinct, this book includes Ollie Weeks of the 88th, always an also ran, Ollie wants to write a novel. This novel will play a role in other installments of this series. Typical McBain styling. If you like to check in on the life and times of the 87th precinct characters, here is you chance.
Rob
Jul 08, 2012 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
All McBain is good, no question, but I have to admit, this isn't one of my favorites. I wasn't completely sold on the ending -- I wanted a little more resolution to the conspiracy nature of the plot. Other than that, though, some great moments with Carella and Fat Ollie Weeks (particularly his piano lesson), and I enjoyed watching the plot's moving parts all click together.
Keith Davis
Jul 12, 2012 Keith Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drug smugglers, burglars, counterfeiters, murderers, terrorist bombers, and an escaped lion all in one novel. It is a fun read like all of the McBain police novels but this one has a bit of a kitchen sink feel to it like Hunter has several ideas and couldn't bring himself to narrow the focus.
Virginia Walter
Oct 23, 2013 Virginia Walter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Steve Carella and the rest of the guys in the 87th Precinct are faced with multiple crimes involving money -- both counterfeit and real. Another satisfying police procedural from the reliable Ed McBain.
Megan
Feb 11, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a total Ed McBain snob, but the man writes a very enjoyable crime thriller romp. Full of accurate personalities (I'm not sure I'm making myself clear here, but whatever) and humor. I enjoyed this, and wouldn't turn up my nose to another in the future.
Julie
Jan 05, 2008 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good ol' 87th Precinct -- how I love it. I read this over the kids' "Winter Break" and it satified my desire for a fast, entertaining read. Ed McBain is a great plotter and I like the easy familiarity I've developed with his characters. I'm even starting to enjoy Fat Ollie.
Jim
Nov 09, 2015 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A more-or-less standard police procedural. There was very little mystery because the reader was told most everything that was going on. I enjoyed parts of it. The characters were only vaguely likeable, the plot was over complicated and the ending was too coincidental and not at all satisfying.
Play Book Tag: Money, Money, Money / Ed McBain - 3.5*** 1 5 Dec 19, 2016 12:37PM
MONEY, MONEY MONEY 1 2 Aug 04, 2015 03:29PM
  • Candyland
  • A Very Shitake Christmas (Shitake Mystery #1.5)
  • Priest (Jack Taylor, #5)
  • The Japanese Corpse (Grijpstra & De Gier Mystery, #5)
  • Un peu plus loin sur la droite (Les Evangélistes, #2)
  • The Iron Khan (Detective Inspector Chen, #5)
  • You Only Die Twice
  • Winter House (Kathleen Mallory, #8)
  • Down by the River Where the Dead Men Go
  • Fearless Jones (Fearless Jones, #1)
  • Cat Coming Home (Joe Grey, #16)
  • Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • Suspicion of Malice (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #5)
  • In The Presence of Enemies
  • Le memorie di Maigret
"Ed McBain" is one of the pen names of American author and screenwriter Salvatore Albert Lombino (1926 – 2005), who legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956.

He also used the pen names John Abbott, Curt Cannon, Hunt Collins, Ezra Hannon, Dean Hu
More about Ed McBain...

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct, #2)
  • The Pusher (87th Precinct, #3)
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct, #6)
  • Killer's Wedge (87th Precinct, #7)
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct, #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct, #10)