Start by marking “Killing Plato (Jack Shepherd #2)” as Want to Read:
Killing Plato (Jack Shepherd #2)

Killing Plato (Jack Shepherd #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Jack Shepherd was a well-connected Washington lawyer until he traded the fierce intrigues of politics for the quiet life in Thailand. Then one day he walks into a bar on the jet-set island of Phuket and finds the world’s most famous fugitive waiting for him.

Plato Karsarkis was rich and famous, an international celebrity straight out of the pages of Vanity Fair, when a New
Published 2012 by Marshall Cavendish Editions (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Killing Plato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Plato

Eric Fisher
This is a story that wastes no time dropping the reader into a web of lies, international fugitives and questions about the very nature of good and evil itself… while simultaneously transporting you to the tropics of Thailand with its sparking blue Andaman Sea, white sands and only the finest Cuban cigars.

Killing Plato is the second novel I’ve read by Jake Needham. The other being The Big Mango, a classic and fully realized Thriller in its own right. This novel, written after Mango, demonstrates
Andrew
When you suddenly become the popular person to people on both sides of an issue it is generally a good time to start worrying. Especially when the game everyone is playing is not the one you think it is, or the one they say it is. Confused? So is our hero, Jack Shepherd. And when you lose something precious, you have to start deciding if you are going to come out ahead.

There are plenty of twists is this story, all masterfully handled by the author. I was a little sorry that Jack suffered the los
Sally
Disappointing.

Disappointing.

This is the 3rd Jack Shepherd book that I've read and the first to be a disappointment. There was so much potential here but the ending was such a letdown and there were way too many unresolved details for me. The characters weren't as well developed as in the other two books. This isn't a bad book but it could've been a great one - so much wasted potential. I hope the other books in the series are more like the first and the third ones, those I loved!
Farsidetravel
Killing Plato is back again after the critically acclaimed Laundry Man, but this time Jack Shepherd is up to his knees in shit. Nothing unusual here, but it’s how he wiggles his way out of it that’s interesting – always coming out smelling like roses. He’s a cat that always falls on his fours, all the time.

You can hear throughout the narrative, the Chulalongkong Professor saying, “I’m innocent.” He is, but somehow he finds himself in exceptional circumstances. More like a victim of circumstance,
Carl Brush
I recently posted 4-star reviews of my first two Jake Needham reads--Laundry Man and The Ambassador's wife. It's hard to get that fifth star out of me, but Killing Plato puts Needham into the superstar class of international thrillers, right up there with Cussler, Child, and the rest.
Plato Karsarkis is a high-profile--very high profile--fugitive living in the Phuket resort area south of Bangkok. Jack Shepherd is a former high-finance lawyer, semi-retired, who's teaching college in Bangkok, whe
Mark Chisnell
I was introduced to Jake Needham through the first of his Inspector Samuel Tay books, The Ambassador’s Wife, which I really enjoyed. I thought I should give his Jack Shepherd series a try, and I wasn’t disappointed. This is a character-focused rather than an action-packed thriller, and Jake Needham does grumpy, out-of-sorts-with-the-world characters really well, and comes up with some strong storylines to push them through.

Jack Shepherd is a former big-shot Washington lawyer, now living in Thai
R.A. Niles
I read Killing Plato after Laundryman. What I like most about Needham is that unlike many writers today in the crime thriller arena, his characters are real and believable. If I want super heroes, I'll watch a movie. Like all of us, Needham's characters have flaws and vulnerabilities. That makes them just like me, and so in reading, I become a part of the story - as if I'm sitting in a back street bar with Jack Shepherd as tells me what happened.
Brian Borgford
The setting make it

A mystery, murder, spy novel taking place mainly in Thailand. The setting for the story gives it a unique quality, setting it apart from other similar genre novels. Having spent considerable time vacationing in Thailand, it was interesting and relevant to hear the perspective of an expat actually living in the country. The descriptions which might be just fluff in another setting really added to the feeling of the story and gave a sense of the main character, Jack Shepherd.
I t
Carl Berger
Want a book with more personality, scene and plot development, character description and less chase and shoot-em up? This is for you.
A great read that informs you of location naturally as you read. Almost googled Thailand and followed the maps.
Enough intrigue so you didn't wait for the next chase or hands on murder yet just enough to keep you riveted to this fine mystery tale.
Antonio  Angelo
The protagonist got on my nerves from time to time but I found the situation he was in to be worth continuing with. It weaves the reality of our world with the fantasy in the authors mind beautifully to create a realistic tale of international corruption and the forces that shape it. The Hero of the story is a reluctant player that just can't resist the siren call of what is behind the curtain. He finds himself in an increasingly deteriorating situation where even the most powerful players are s ...more
Melissa Monks
I enjoyed this for the most part. The descriptions of Thailand were vivid and set a compelling backdrop for the novel.

In terms of action, I thought it was a little slow at times and Jack seemed to drag his feet here and there, but overall it didn't bother me. Admittedly, I don't read many legal thrillers, so the pacing may be typical for the genre. The story is full of twists and turns and nobody is quite what they seem.

Jack is inexplicably drawn to intrigue and is, by his own admission, occasi
Lae Monier
Jack Shepherd is a retired lawyer in Bangkok, Thailand. One evening, over dinner with Anita, his wife, he comes across Plato Karsarkis, a man wanted by the USA government.

The writing gripped me from the start and the characters did a good job to keep me turning the pages. It is a typical whodunnit/thriller complete with formulaic chapter ending, story and character, but it was just what I needed in those thunderous days. Needham did a good job in presenting us a picture of Thailand.

I stopped re
Kathy
started snappy but went to vulgar and not worth reading very quickly
Michael
Just reread my review for the first Jack Shephard novel. I probably enjoyed this one a bit more. Although not much actually happens in the course of the book, the plotting is more rational. The characters are clearer and more distinctly written. The one thing I couldn't get over, though, was how much Shepherd seems unable to communicate with his wife. Needham's female characters definitely leave something to be desired. Why not just have Shepherd stay unmarried?

I'm probably in for #3, but my en
Harold Kasselman
I would rate this 4.5 stars if permitted. This was a taut and well written intriguing tale. The setting is Thailand and the story grabs you immediately.I loved the easy pace of the writing and the unfolding of the story.This is a different kind of suspense thriller. You never sense who the good or bad guys are in this novel until it's over.It is thought provoking yet easy to follow. I really enjoyed it and I look forward to reading Mr. Needham's other novels
Allan
Great read! Can't wait to read #3
Bryan Murphy
From the first pages, you know you are in the realm of a master story-teller. Needham grabs your interest from the start, and keeps it to the rather abrupt ending. Action rather than character drives the story, and the action is compelling. I also enjoyed the author's uncondescending attitude toward Thailand, the setting for this engaging tale.
Shirley
First I confess I love stories about lawyers. I also like characters with an attitude. I like books that take place in a part of the world that I have never visited. This book has all the criteria for winning me over on page one. As soon as I got to the end I went immediately to amazon and bought the next in the series.
Kelly Bragg
An interesting read, especially if you like international intrigue. It was a good mystery, one that was not easy to figure out before the end of the story. No red herrings either (which I think is completely UNFAIR for an author to do).
Greg Tymn
Overall, a well-written crime novel in an interesting setting and culture. I like Needham's novels. This isn't the best of his work, but it was a pleasurable read on a dark and stormy night.
Martyn
I really enjoyed this fast placed thriller. Set in Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok.
Martin Uller
5 stars for all of Jake´s books but this one is the best so far.
Lisa
International politics were a little over my head
Bridgewes
This is a book that starts fast and keeps you hooked.
Marlene
Prequel and sequel
kay
Great Writer!
Oddvar M
Oddvar M is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
Jim Brohard
Jim Brohard marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Marjie
Marjie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Raven Scarlet
Raven Scarlet marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • Blacklisted
  • Silver Justice
  • Stone of Destiny
  • Messages (David Chance Mystery #1)
  • Simple Simon
  • The Bet
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • The Reborn (the Day Eight Series Part 1)
  • Death Benefits (Southern Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • The Profiler's Daughter (Sky Stone Thriller Series)
  • Gray Resurrection (Tom Gray, #2)
  • Thirst
  • Human Resources
  • The Highlander (The Rise of the Aztecs, #1)
  • Mortal Deception
  • The Influence
  • Forever Christmas
  • Broken Butterflies
JAKE NEEDHAM is an American screen and television writer who began writing crime novels when he realized he didn’t really like movies and television very much.

He is a lawyer by education. Prior to becoming a screenwriter through a series of accidents too ridiculous to be believed, he held a number of significant positions in both the pubic and private sectors where he took part in a lengthy list
More about Jake Needham...
The Ambassador's Wife  (Inspector Samuel Tay, #1) Laundry Man (Jack Shepherd, #1) Big Mango A World of Trouble (Jack Shepherd #3) The Umbrella Man (Inspector Samuel Tay #2)