Start by marking “Nonlinear Dynamics And Chaos: With Applications To Physics, Biology, Chemistry And Engineering” as Want to Read:

Nonlinear Dynamics And Chaos: With Applications To Physics, Biology, Chemistry And Engineering (Studies in Nonlinearity)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  621 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This textbook is aimed at newcomers to nonlinear dynamics and chaos, especially students taking a first course in the subject. The presentation stresses analytical methods, concrete examples and geometric intuition. The theory is developed systematically, starting with first-order differential equations and their bifurcations, followed by phase plane analysis, limit cycles ...more
Published April 20th 1994 by Westview Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Nonlinear Dynamics And Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nonlinear Dynamics And Chaos

This introduction to nonlinear dynamics is easy and entertaining to read. Those are qualities sorely missing from most math books out there. I recommend it to anyone -- undergraduate, graduate, or beyond -- who needs an excellent, beautifully clear introduction to nonlinear dynamics.
Apr 17, 2008 Johannes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: advanced undergrads, beginning grad students
Shelves: physics
This is the book for nonlinear dynamics. Strogatz's writing is not only easy to follow, but is also pleasant, conversational, and at times even a bit whimsical. The book opens with very simple material, and while it eventually touches on some fairly advanced ideas (eg renormalization), it builds up to that point very carefully, so the student should never feel overwhelmed. The examples and problems are drawn from a wide range of fields, so students from disciplines besides math and physics shoul ...more
Elio Nakouzi
Top quality book. Accessible but powerful. Excellent examples to demonstrate the concepts. Even useful as a course textbook.
Jan 11, 2011 Mangoo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: (under)graduates students
Excellent mathematical introduction to the dynamics of non-linear systems. The text style is rather informal, and very clear, and many of the concepts and results presented are exposed in an intuitive way. Beginning from uni-dimensional systems and reaching to chaos and strange attractors, there's that typical progressive crescendo in complexity which makes the reading worth and sticking. The book also contains a lot of examples taken from several disciplines (physics, chemistry, population dyna ...more
Stuart Woolf
4.5 stars.

This is probably the best math book I've ever read. The author's approach, which is highly unusual in math, emphasizes intuition and visualization over abstractions and formulae - a winning strategy because it eases the learning curve for an otherwise difficult subject without stressing the technical details. Some readers will see this as a flaw, but I think the text is balanced correctly: after all, nonlinear dynamics is a field that yields very few analytical solutions, so why waste
Santiago Ortiz
I'm just starting the book, but I already know this is a . This book is a window to Nature. The ratio between deepness and accessibility is amazing, thanks to the well written and clear texts and, specially, the smart and beautiful geometric explanations and qualitative solutions. ...more
Michele Cotter
A really excellent book that served as a fascinating introduction to a complex and pervasive subject. I used the first 8 chapters to get to grips with nonlinear systems for a summer research project and will continue using it for the project and on my own time. Strogatz is a master of communicating complex topics clearly, and emphasizes intuition and understanding the mechanisms at work as the path to understanding the formulae.

The book, though written in an almost literary fashion, would probab
Mark Gomer
I skimmed this book while watching the author's corresponding lecture series on YouTube:
Fixed points, their equilibrium, bifurcation parameters, non-dimensionalization, linearization, romeo and juliet
Stefano Finazzo
Um exemplo de como se escrever um livro didático... realmente didático.

Strogatz mostra o básico de sistemas dinâmicos começando do realmente básico, exigindo um mínimo de requisitos - um módico de conhecimentos de cálculo já é mais que suficiente. E leva o leitor bem longe, sem nunca deixá-lo abandonar a trilha - e exibindo a paisagem majestosa pelo meio do caminho.

O tom é informal (e cheio de troças e piadinhas); o rigor matemático é secundário à legibilidade e à intuição. Em todo capítulo há a
Lots of examples.
Video lectures are recorded on youtube

Takes some time to finish reading.
Not so much of rigorous analysis. Relatively easy to read.
Max Benassi
One of the better math books ive read, does a great job applying calculus and graphical principals to real world nonlinear applications
Rivan Biya
Good textbook for nonlinear thing...still in progress
X'(t)=AX+B. That's all we want to solve. This book teaches you how to solve them precisely at some points, but mostly it's all about dynamics and you don't have to be very precise in that area. The examples of the book are also very cool and fun to go through. For example, you analyze how a tumor grows and you even get the power to draw the dynamics in a plot. As another example, you find out about the dynamics of what happens if a specific number of sheep and rabbits are living together in one ...more
G Budai
Dear Professor Strogatz, thanks for brain massacre! :) Great book, fascinating skills of the author to bring closer something that is chaos and nonlinear dynamics.
Despite the fact that I've found delight in this book, I'm considering myself as person who lacks the level of knowledge that is "sine qua non" for crafting credible review.
An excellent overview of the order and structure in chaos. Describes the hisor of the thought in the field, advance, and how it is being applied and may be applied as the field continues to mature. The lecture is very interesting and enthusiatic. I do intend to read some of the materials that he suggested.
This book is great. From a perspective of undergraduate math, all the stamp collecting that is obfuscating in defining bifurcations, etc., are presented as clear and simple as possible. There is a minimum of jargon, and just very illustrative examples by worked problems.
A life-changing experience for me.
Here is the subject elegantly pared down to just what a student absolutely needs to know, with Strogatz's trademark elegance and wit. The book is a springboard to many field of science, showing how insights in one field illuminate another.
This is one of those rare textbooks that are also readable in bed. There are tons of applications, including such oddities as how fireflies synchronize their blinking, how lasers work, and using chaos to send coded messages.
May 09, 2011 DJ marked it as flirted-with  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math, priority
Dang... Promised myself I wouldn't crack this open until classes were over but couldn't resist. Where will the gateway drug to nonlinear dynamics and chaos lead me? Selling sexual favors and stolen TVs for Lyapunov exponents?
Jul 13, 2008 Kim is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mathletes
Only good if you've had 2 years of college math. I had to put this up though, becuase I AM reading it and I love it. As far as math books go it's very well written so that I can understand it!
great source of examples, and a great way to build intuition for more abstract stuff. i could do with more "proofs", but it's not like those are hard to find in other texts.
Good background in the behavior of nonlinear dynamical systems. A good jumping off point for understanding bifurcation analysis.
This was a good series of college lectures. I recommend it to anybody interested in chaos. I would have liked a little more math, though.
Britton Bush
Probably the most readable math textbook I have ever read. Great applications, straight forward presentation, and clear organization.
Travis Johnson
Standard but great intro to nonlinear dynamics. My copy is well worn, and has seen use far beyond the class I bought it for.
Dynamics will never make more sense than does in this book. Well-written, clear, entertaining, beautiful.
This book totally changes my view to analyze the dynamics phenomenon.
Excellent introduction to a beautiful subject.
The most readable textbook I've read.
Love Affairs 1 12 Feb 05, 2009 04:32PM
  • Principles of Quantum Mechanics
  • A First Course in Probability
  • Cybernetics: or the Control and Communication in the Animal and the Machine
  • Naive Set Theory
  • Calculus On Manifolds: A Modern Approach To Classical Theorems Of Advanced Calculus
  • Topology
  • Geometry and the Imagination
  • Proofs from THE BOOK
Steven Strogatz is the Schurman Professor of applied mathematics at Cornell University. A renowned teacher and one of the world’s most highly cited mathematicians, he has been a frequent guest on National Public Radio’s Radiolab. Among his honors are MIT's highest teaching prize, membership in the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and a lifetime achievement award for communication of math to ...more
More about Steven H. Strogatz...

Studies in Nonlinearity (3 books)
  • Exploring Chaos: Theory and Experiment