Start by marking “52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity” as Want to Read:
52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity

52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  286 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Jeffrey Yamaguchi extends an invitation to indulge one's inner artist by committing yourself to one creative project a week for 52 weeks. 52 Projects chronicles the author's artistic journey over the course of one year and how it changed his life-and also offers 52 jumping-off points for the reader's own creative inspiration:

- Frame a picture you've drawn, painted, or ph
Published November 1st 2005 by Perigee Trade

To ask other readers questions about 52 Projects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 52 Projects

Meg
Sep 13, 2007 Meg rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: myself in ninth grade
Shelves: 2007
Some of it was okay, but a lot of the "project" ideas were without regard to the boundaries of other people. Snapshots of sleeping lovers and friends, taping a conversation and then sending it to the person you were speaking with years later... hmm. I suppose it's up to the project maker to decide where to take something, though.

Some of the projects seemed straight from a beginning writer's workshop and didn't seem sparkling or creative enough to warrant inclusion in yet another book.

Overall, t
Shannon
Eh. I felt like it was the same type of project over and over. There were a couple that I thought were good but weren't really productive. His projects were more for the college boy with ADD who has too much time on his hands, not so much for the mother of 3 who wants to use her creative time for something useful.

I did like what he wrote about everyone being able to be creative as well as his chapter on giving projects as gifts.
Christen
My assignment for book club was to read this book and pick a project to do. I have to report on my project at book club. I have it narrowed down to 2 projects:

No. 1: Get copies of letters you and a friend wrote to each other; make copies of the letters and mail them to your friend. I would like to do this project - I just don't even know where to begin looking for the letters I would like to use.

No. 40: Put together a collection of pictures from every home/place you have ever lived. Obviously,
Sarah Key
"Project #39: Go some place, alone. Once you are there, take a picture of yourself using the self-timer. Immediately after taking the picture, leave, and never go back to that place again. Ever." - Strangely enough, this seems like a pretty liberating idea to me. Just as shaving off all of my hair seems like it would be liberating as well. Eh, this alternative sounds less dangerous. We'll go with that. (I cannot be trusted with sharp objects.)

If you want to read the 52 projects without having to
Amy
Just picked up this little gem from the library...loving it! I think I may need to buy it! The projects are interesting, it's not so much as a creativity challenge, but an idea to spark a project! One I just looked at was: Make your house into an art gallery (invite some friends). blow up your photos, buy some original art, make some art, whatever! I started to get all kinds of ideas when I read that...check this one out for sure. Haven't been to the website yet, but he has a few tied to this bo ...more
Jan Polep
OOOOOh...what a choice this would be for "One Book, One Community". Participants could report back on projects and/or choose one to do as a community. Okay, some of these projects are a little too wild but many are just what I needed to push me over the edge into actively spicing up my life, my libraries, and the lives of my friends and family. So, beware. No spoiler alerts..want you to discover the projects for yourself. I'm buying my own copy of this one.
Elizabeth
I thoroughly enjoyed this slim little book about making and doing - and why we make and do. He takes the idea of projects far beyond the usual craftiness, encouraging the reader to try new things, make memories, and give back while fueling your own creativity and engagement with yourself, your loved ones, and the world. I would like to give this book as a Christmas present to all of my loved ones - or at least those that are inclined toward self-reflection.
Erica
Jun 03, 2007 Erica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
Do you like being creative? Do you have a bunch of unfinished projects laying around, collecting dust? Do you have a project in mind, but just don't know how to begin? If so, this is the right book to get you moving. Besides listing 52 different fun projects to get you motivated, the author talks about his own love of being creative. Best of all, he assures us that it's okay to mess up - it's all part of the process.
Sandybear76
I liked the book as he talked about having creativity in your life, giving up TV to have time to create, etc. But the projects left much to be desired. OK, a couple projects were interesting but most of them - ah,no. One project suggested that you find letters friends had written to you, make copies and then send the letters back to your friend.
Alissa
Dec 01, 2008 Alissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People Looking for a Project
Recommended to Alissa by: Tracy
I read this for one of my book clubs and did 1 of the projects. It does have some great project ideas, some being self discovery-ish while others are quite narcisstic, but a lot of them are a bit cheezy. My husband and I got a lot of good laughs reading some of the project ideas aloud.
Elizabeth
4.5/5

I really, really like the concept of this book. Right up my alley, even if not all the projects Yamaguchi suggests are ones I care to tackle. Many of them are, though, and I am definitely inspired to make this approach to creativity a more formal part of my routine : )
Rebecca V.Y
Sep 04, 2007 Rebecca V.Y rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Very inspirational selection of projects, it seems there is something for everyone. I have completed and enjoyed many of these projects, and from them I have thought up my own projects to complete too. I loved it and often re-read it to get more ideas for future projects.
Keshia
This is a great book for igniting creativity and an alternative to other common forms of entertainment (i.e. television). I just wish that more random acts included. Admittedly, I refer to this book often for ideas on creative things to do.
Jennifer Vandenberg
This is a wonderful book to get your creative juices flowing. His ideas are simply jumping-off ideas. You will find yourself coming up with something unique. Whenever I feel blah I look through this book and my mind starts churning again.
Chris
This book is a treasure trove of ideas and inspiration! Not just for crafters or artists, but anyone who is interested in exploring their inner world, journaling their lives, viewing the world in a new way. Awesome book!
The BFF Crew
I think it was a bit overdone. Should've kept to the projects instead of so many repetitive chapters on why you're doing projects, why I do projects, why you should do projects, etc.
Cami
May 14, 2008 Cami rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: project minded people
This is a great place to look if you want to begin a project with meaning. There are a lot of great ideas here, much more than 52.
There's also a website. Just google: 52 projects
matt

I remember getting a free copy of this book (first ever!) back when there was a magazine which called me a staff writer.

Here is my review:

Jill
Premise = very good, still processing the ideas behind it, how to apply.

Examples = ridiculous. Really, mailing alcohol? Illegal, not particularly creative.
Katy Walters
Really enjoyed It is inspiring and really holds the attention, a book that will stay on my bookshelf. Lots of great ideas to develop creativity.
Sandy
A little more touchy-feely than I thought it was going to be--lots of list making and fewer actual interesting projects. Cute, though.
Kristy
The author of this book sent me a copy before it was released. This is a book I can read multiple times. Very inspiring.
Relyn
Dec 28, 2010 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hmmmmm.....
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
This was a fun book. Not great, but fun. It sparked a lot of ideas and the umph to get up and go DO something.
Kate
Looking for a little inspiration? This book is tremendously creative and will help you imagine ways to live out loud.
Meryl
Too much introduction (I skipped it), but some of the projects were fun. Definitely more for writers though.
Becky
My friend Jeff wrote this book. It's a good starting point if your creative juices need a little stir.
Traci
This was my choice for book club. I love the idea of this book, but the author, not so much.
Katie
Jan 04, 2009 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katie by: soulemama
Shelves: non-fiction
some cool ideas & inspiration here.
Amanda
A great creative inspiration!
Anina
Different!
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • 365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!
  • Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Life Artist
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Make Your Creative Dreams Real: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, and People Who Would Really Rather Sleep All Day
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • How to Make a Journal of Your Life
  • Messy Thrilling Life: The Art of Figuring Out How to Live
  • Listography Journal: Your Life in Lists
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
Working for the Man: Inspiring and Subversive Projects for Residents of Cubicle Land Working For The Man:  Stories From Behind The Cubicle Wall, Vol. 1