Start by marking “I'm Too Young To Be Seventy” as Want to Read:
I'm Too Young To Be Seventy

I'm Too Young To Be Seventy (The Decades of a Woman's Life #6)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The beloved bestselling author of Forever Fifty and Suddenly Sixty now tackles the ins and outs of becoming a septuagenarian with her usual wry good humor.

Fans of Judith Viorst's funny, touching, and wise poems about turning thirty, forty, fifty, and sixty will love this new volume for the woman who deeply believes she is too young to be seventy, "too young in my heart a

Published October 12th 2005 by Free Press (first published September 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Too Young To Be Seventy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Too Young To Be Seventy

Syd Perry
This is a short book of 31 poems by an author whom I am familiar with because of her children's books. I saw the title at the library and totally judged a book by its cover. This time it paid off. The poems are mostly humorous, sometimes sweet, with whimsical line drawings illustrating each one of them.

The Sixth Grandchild:
Our number six has arrived,
The last but not the least.
How our happiness has increased since he made his debut.
How our family has increased. We used to be two
And now we
Again, I needed to read some poetry for my new book club...I chose this one because I recognized the poet's name. She has written several children's books that I am familiar with, so I thought I would check out her poetry. She has apparently written several other books of poetry too and I will be looking for them in the library, because these were terrific! Some of them had me laughing out loud. They are so true to life!
Typical Judith Viorst- amusing, engaging, and light-hearted. I read it to my 81 year old mother and we both laughed riotously. This would made a grand present for anyone who is aging....
Blythe Jewell
I recently finished a humor poetry book of my own and was struggling with the front matter stuff (dedication, bio, acknowledgements, etc). I went to a bookstore to browse the humor section and see what other authors did, trying to get a little inspiration -- this is how I discovered Judith Viorst.

She's written dozens of books for all ages, but this particular series tracks the stages of a woman's life, decade by decade -- and it is brilliant. I found "I'm Too Young to be 70" first, then went ba
Wry and witty, this is a fascinating book of poems that explores the life of a woman in her seventies. It's a quick read and offers a refreshing perspective. I can only hope that I am as vibrant and active in my seventies as she is. I picked out this book at our local library, from a display of poetry books for National Poetry Month. I recognized Judith Viorst as the author of several popular children's books, like Alexander and the Terrible,Horrible,No Good,Very Bad Day. I didn't know much abou ...more
This is a very fun book by the author of "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day". I took a tour of a library before my training started and picked up this slim volume to read whilst waiting. And there I am in the library, laughing a bit too loud. I have requested the 60 book since that is closer to my husband and my age. But this was an exceptional book of poems and humor and did not feel too off my age.
Maureen Hetzel
Lovely book of poems by a favorite author dealing with the challenges of getting older while still feeling young. Short and easy to read but so much to think about in these compact, insightful poems. Highly recommended for those in the " targeted" age group...and those rapidly approaching!
J. Mummey
I read to the visually impaired in a nearby nursing home, this book was perfect for the residents. The poems were humorous and clever without being offensive or condescending and the poems were upbeat.
Shirley Brown
This was just a one sitting read about the role of "Seventies" and how their life is and was and may be in the future. Just a fun read.
It's easy to recognize Voirst's style if you've ever read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (and who hasn't?)
This book is about as short and the "poems" read a little like Stevie Smith channeling Erma Bombeck...
I zipped through the whole thing rather quickly. It's pleasant, mildly witty, occasionally insightful. A reader's snack to make you smile.
Gwen Bartlett
I love Judith Viorst and although I'm not seventy yet, I could certainly identify with many of her poems.
Han Boon Toh
Humorous and mildly sarcastic. The author gives a glimpse of life in the silver age - love, grandchildren, inconveniences, health, ego. Simple, easy and rhythemic read.
Realized that all these collections of hers both make me laugh and put me in a melancholic sort of state. I must really like that because I keep reading them.
Don't know for sure about this age but always love Judith Viorst's perspective.
Witty and wonderful!
Otis Teague
Otis Teague marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Isabel marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Maureen Hillyer
Maureen Hillyer marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Mary marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Judith Viorst is the author of several works of fiction and non-fiction for children as well as adults. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, her most famous children's book, was first published in 1972 and has since sold over two million copies. Ms. Viorst received a B.A. in History from Rutgers University, and she is also a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institu ...more
More about Judith Viorst...

The Decades of a Woman's Life (7 books)
  • When Did I Stop Being 20 and Other Injustices
  • It's Hard to Be Hip over Thirty
  • How Did I Get to Be 40: & Other Atrocities
  • Forever Fifty and Other Negotiations
  • Suddenly Sixty And Other Shocks Of Later Life
  • Unexpectedly Eighty: And Other Adaptations
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday Necessary Losses: The Loves Illusions Dependencies and Impossible Expectations That All of us Have Lulu and the Brontosaurus Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move