Start by marking “Why Good Things Happen to Good People: The Exciting New Research that Proves the Link Between Doing Good and Living a Longer, Healthier, Happier Life” as Want to Read:

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A longer life. A happier life. A healthier life. Above all, a life that matters—so that when you leave this world, you’ll have changed it for the better. If science said you could have all this just by altering one behavior, would you?

Dr. Stephen Post has been making headlines by funding studies at the nation’s top universities to prove once and for all the life-enhancing
Published May 8th 2007 by Broadway (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Why Good Things Happen to Good People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Good Things Happen to Good People

Tami
Good Things Happen to Good People. Okay so we all know that that statement isn't completely true. All of you reading this review are probably pretty good people and likely you've had some difficulties and not so nice things happen to you. Life isn't always roses and sunshine.

Frankly, I hated this title but I liked the book. I feel like the title suggested that I get ready for some sort of sermon about how all the troubles in my life were caused by my own lack of perfection. However, once I star
Rhona
One of the best self-help books I have ever read. I will definitely carry these wise words with me forever. Most of us know that Good Choices lead to a Good Life. This is the shot in the arm that we need to encourage us to keep going, keep giving, keep serving. Life is Good! :)
Elizabeth
My copy is a library book that I had to put down and return because it is so amazing that I feel the need to own my own copy. I must jot in margins, underline, circle and in other ways emphasis my pleasure in finding this book. This is a must read for all of humanity.
Kay Iscah
There are few books that I'd recommend to everyone. This is one. It's not the most fluid writing ever. It's dense, and took me a long time to read because I couldn't get through large chunks of it at a time easily (keep in mind I've been very hectic and busy). Even so the book has made me both laugh and cry. It's has all the warm and fuzzy uplifting qualities of Chicken Soup for the Soul, but comes with instructions to live those moments rather than simply experience them vicariously. If you're ...more
David
I gave up on this one after a few chapters. I picked the book up eager to learn what science has to say about the effects of doing good--and hoping for something that would jump-start my own sputtering goodness. Doing good is good for you, the book reports. But the science receives such superficial coverage that the connection between good actions and their effects on the actor remains as hazy as ever. Besides that, the distinctions between the categories of goodness seemed pretty arbitrary. Man ...more
Urmil
Apr 16, 2015 Urmil added it
Excellent book
Zane
I really enjoyed this book because the authors use science to back up the idea behind compassion, generosity, volunteering, and basically doing good. It also discusses the idea that Darwinism is actually survival of the fittest people who do good. As a teacher I am always trying to discover what makes someone good seeks to be the positive change. This book was solidified many of my own personal beliefs using scientific and longitudinal studies as evidence.
Crispy
The title promises research, but this reads more like a self-help book. Coverage of research is superficial, with very little critical analysis. Why are there no notes or references?!

Enjoyable, but only as an easy, warm-fuzzy read.
Drtaxsacto
This is a feel good book. The authors present some research that shows that people who are more engaged with their fellow human beings are more likely to live longer and better. It is a very quick read. And I think the substance of the research is credible. It is a clear statement of why the social fabric that we create actually aids us.
Carol
Jan 24, 2010 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I bought this book because a woman in my Life Drawing class had heard the author speak at Case Western and was inspired by his talk, especially on his suggestion on how creativity came be used in a giving manner. It was good. I was not into taking the self-reflection tests at the end of each chapter. Too self-help book for me! Worth reading.
Tom Robbins
Persuasive language, well structured and lots of handy and bite-sized tips of how to improve your well-being by being a kinder and more generous person. This is one of the first self-help books I read. I was a little skeptical but it eventually won me over by its simplicity and its clear-cut message.
Vickie T
How doing good for others enhances our own lives. Not just mentally. changing use but physically changes in our bodies. A quick easy read with great anecdotes and ideas for ways of committing acts of kindness. Food for thought
Kristine Kohut
It's a good book, but it wasn't teaching me anything new so I put it down. It's written by a colleague of my uncle's. It's a very affirming book, and has step-by-step instructions on how to live a fulfilling life.
Michelle
It's not as though I explicitly disagree with what this book has to say in general but I was expecting more about actual studies. Instead it was structured as a self-help book with brief references to studies.
Shelley
If this book doesn't inspire you to get out of your own head and give back, I don't know what will. It's a powerful lesson about how in helping others, we can really help ourselves.
Ben
In general I thought the book was good, though I'm not sure it provided any superior insight (for that check out Exuberance: The Passion for Life). Quick read.
StacyM
I'm impressed because there really is some substantial research in here.
Kris
How you can live a longer, happier and better life.
Sandy
Jul 22, 2008 Sandy marked it as to-read
This book was a graduation gift from a dear friend...
John McPhee
Another book worth scanning through ...
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Monica Feakes
Monica Feakes marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Ireene
Ireene marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Holly Campbell
Holly Campbell marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Deepak Bisth
Deepak Bisth marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Farrell
Farrell marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Lila
Lila marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Transformation: Understanding the Three Levels of Mascul
  • Lucid Dreamer: A Waking Guide for the Traveler Between Worlds
  • The Book Of Tells
  • The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life
  • How Can I Get Through to You?: Closing the Intimacy Gap Between Men and Women
  • Why Good People Do Bad Things: Understanding Our Darker Selves
  • I Am Right You Are Wrong: From This to the New Renaissance: From Rock Logic to Water Logic
  • Autism: Explaining the Enigma
  • The Reenchantment of the World
  • Shadow Dance: Liberating the Power & Creativity of Your Dark Side
  • Madly Chasing Peace: How I Went From Hell to Happy in Nine Minutes a Day
  • Leading So People Will Follow
  • Invisible Heroes: Survivors of Trauma and How They Heal
  • Ascension Magick: Ritual, Myth & Healing for the New Aeon
  • Healing Words
  • How To Stubbornly Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything, Yes Anything
  • Awakening Spirits
  • New Rules for the New Economy
208171
Stephen G. Post, Ph.D. is the best-selling author of The Hidden Gifts of Helping (2011) (www.stephengpost.com/hiddengifts), as listed by the Wall Street Journal. He speaks widely on themes of benevolent love and compassionate care at the interface of science, health, spirituality, and philanthropy. His work has been featured in periodicals such as Parade Magazine and O: The Oprah Magazine, and on ...more
More about Stephen G. Post...
The Hidden Gifts of Helping: How the Power of Giving, Compassion, and Hope Can Get Us Through Hard Times Altruism and Altruistic Love: Science, Philosophy, and Religion in Dialogue Unlimited Love: Altruism, Compassion, and Service Encyclopedia of Bioethics Human Nature and the Freedom of Public Religious Expression