Start by marking “1634: The Galileo Affair (Assiti Shards, #3)” as Want to Read:
1634: The Galileo Affair (Assiti Shards, #3)

1634: The Galileo Affair (Assiti Shards #3)

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  2,367 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
The Epic Struggle of Freedom and Justice Against the Tyrannies of the 17th Century Continues, as European Cunning Meets American Courage.

The Thirty Years War continues to ravage 17th century Europe, but a new force is gathering power and influence: the Confederated Principalities of Europe, an alliance between Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, and the West Virginians from
Published August 1st 2005 by Baen (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 1634, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1634

Jeremy Preacher
May 30, 2011 Jeremy Preacher rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
The Galileo Affair is where the Ring of Fire series really begins to show its promise. With a much tighter cast of characters and plot than its predecessors, we're able to get a deep, rather than a broad, look at the setting and really develop some fun plot threads. It's vastly less focused on military matters (I like David Weber fine, but I'm just not as interested in guns as he is) and the Stone family is a nice counterpoint to the otherwise fairly idealized blue-collar main characters.

On that
Chip Hunter
Dec 30, 2016 Chip Hunter rated it really liked it
This is one of numerous spin-offs from Eric Flint's brilliant 1632 and 1633. What that means is that this book (and the other spin-offs) deviate from the primary storyline of the previous books. While expanding the overall story of the impact Grantville has on the world of the 1630's, this book basically ignores the (more exciting) developments of the war with France and the exploits of the USE ambassadors in London, Scotland, and Amsterdam. That is the reason I think most people are disappointe ...more
Nathan Thern
After slogging through 1634: The Ram Rebellion I almost stopped reading my way through the 1632 Universe. This one, however, was a return to the good storytelling seen in 1632 through 1634 The Baltic War. It's not real strong on action though, and I flip-flopped between giving it a 3 or a 4. However, the book did a good job of both holding my attention and expanding the political/strategic picture, so I give it a 4.
Malachi B.
Dec 13, 2016 Malachi B. rated it really liked it
1634: The Galileo Affair starts with the displaced Americans (their name changes so many times) deciding it would be beneficial to make Venice an ally. As part of their plan, they send Tom Stone, the leader of one of the best (only) pharmaceutical companies to stop the recurrence of the plague. With him come his three sons, who end up involved in a hair brained plan to rescue Galileo from the Inquisition. If you don't know, all of this takes place in 1634. All of this is also escalated by the Fr ...more
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it it was ok
From Publishers Weekly

After the emotionally draining tragedy that concluded Flint and David Weber's _1633 (2002), Flint (The Philosophical Strangler_) and newcomer Dennis provide a more lighthearted interlude in Renaissance Italy. Grantsville, a West Virginia mining community that a black hole transported back to the Thirty Years War, now forms the kernel of a fledgling democratic Germany. An embassy to Venice is led by Grantsville's only Roman Catholic priest, whose revelations about Vatican

Dale
Apr 19, 2008 Dale rated it it was ok
Alex
"1634: The Galileo Affair" is book 3 of the Ring of Fire series (or Assiti Shards) by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis. I liked it a lot but it's not as good as the previous two books. It is also somewhat lighter although the series is light enough as it is.

The story: The United States of Europe which is the West Virginia town of Grantville transported back in time to the 1600s, is sending a delegation to Venice to build up a pharmaceutical industry but Cardinal Richelieu continues to scheme and the
Annette
Aug 14, 2009 Annette rated it liked it
The plot of "The Galileo Affair" (4th or 5th or something in the 1632 series) follows the USE embassy to Venice, where Tom "Stoner" Stone's sons find themselves quickly involved with the local "Committee of Correspondence" and without really intending to find that they're planning a raid to rescue Galileo from the clutches of the Inquisition. Whether he needs it or not.
While I find the whole 1632 series pretty dense with politics and huge numbers of minor (if historically major) characters and
Dorian
Sep 23, 2012 Dorian rated it liked it
Shelves: other-ebooks
I think this may be my favourite of the 163x series, though I'm currently in the middle of a reread of the entire series, so I may change my mind further along.

It confines itself to one main plotline with associated subplots, and although it has a fair number of PoV characters they're all associated with the same plotline. This makes it a lot more coherent than many of the other volumes in the series, and means one is a lot less likely to greet any given PoV with "oh no, not this nitwit again!"
Chris
Apr 27, 2012 Chris added it
I can't give it any stars since I haven't finished the book. I'm not in the right frame of mind.

In order to read Flint's "Ring of Fire" books, the reader must be in a particular state of mind. They read like a program on the History Channel where the same show can be riveting or repulsive depending on one's mood.

These books are written in the wordy, exacting style of those books written in the 17th and 18th centuries. Because I read the first two editions of this series during the same time I re
Warren Dunham
Apr 18, 2016 Warren Dunham rated it really liked it
so the city from the future continues to struggle going into its 3rd year. This time around the author has decided for the year to cover multiple books but instead of being chronological they take each story by region. I haven't decided if this is a good thing supposedly it won't matter which order they are read in but will have to read more to be sure.
The USE has sent off a an envoy to Venice for trade and to prevent a plague and exchange info. Most of story however focus on the kids who get in
Tmc222 Carl
Jul 25, 2013 Tmc222 Carl rated it really liked it
I liked 1632 and 1633 more than I thought I would; this sequel is the best of the books so far. It was more tightly written, with a little better character development.

I laughed out loud when Ruy introduces himself to a gang of ruffians in true Inigo Montoya / hidalgo fashion; Sharon wonders where he found a copy of The Princess Bride, but Billy realizes that Ruy isn't kidding; he's the archetype Goldman was spoofing in person. (Characters do frequently pick up "up-time" phrases and words, some
Brian Santo1
Feb 14, 2013 Brian Santo1 rated it liked it
The second I've read in the series, and good reason to read more of them.

The cast of characters are one of the big joys of these books. Flint and his co-authors have a flair for using each character's background in clever and often amusing ways. Case in point, an instance in this book where one young character falls back on his experience as a pitcher to help get out of a jam. And who can resist an impish pope?

Plus alt-history is always a good impetus to dive into actual history. After reading
Kyle
Dec 17, 2007 Kyle rated it liked it
I finally finished this book after several false starts. I'd had trouble getting into it (probably no fault to the book) but once I got clear of the first two chapters, it's pretty good.
Flint manages to very carefully thread the fine line between detail and readability. I've often thought that these books would make good youth fiction, since they often deal with younger characters and read so easily. Nevertheless, they're so densely packed with layers and characters that anyone stays engaged (th
Fuzzy John
Sep 21, 2008 Fuzzy John rated it liked it
This book is an interesting sequel to "1632" and "1633", but has its flaws. It's interesting to see how knowledge of a future that isn't going to happen can change an alternative timeline. The book is marred, however, by a jarring focus, and re-focus, and re-focus, and ... jeez marie, how many times can I stand it, on the aching gonads of one of the young lads in the book, and his juvenile yearnings toward getting laid, the protectiveness of the young lady's family, and on and bloody on. Half th ...more
Jud Hanson
Jul 17, 2013 Jud Hanson rated it really liked it
The small town of Grantsville, WV, finds itself transported back 300 years to 17th century Europe and the year 1632. Two years latet, the have made both enemies and allies as the Thirty-Years War is in full swing. As they seek to make an ally of the Venetians, they find themselves in a position to change the result of one of the most famous trials in the history of the Roman Catholic Church, that of Galileo himself.

I highly recommend this long-running series by Eric Flint. He definitely desrves
Maura
Jan 25, 2012 Maura rated it did not like it
gah. i hadn't realized that this was part of a series, and smack dab in the middle as far as i can tell. i listened to at least an hour, maybe two of this thing, and i still don't quite know what's going on. and the reader's attempt at various accents (Western twang, Italian, German -- good lord he tries to span the globe) is painful -- tho admittedly necessary, because i don't see any other way of keeping the hundreds of characters straight. i am so done with this, and don't plan to ever attemp ...more
Honeybadger
Jan 09, 2015 Honeybadger rated it it was ok
Not as strong as the previous three. The weak characters are given the spotlight in this one, and the whole book plays out as an "away game" with occaisional cut-away scenes back in Grantville. Grantville and the politics / characters there are the best part of the series, so this whole novel just felt like a pointless digression. I figure the next few books in the series will likewise focus on small away missions, I hope more succesfully than this one. The love interest sub-plot was well worth ...more
Melanie
Dec 09, 2012 Melanie rated it liked it
Due to the fact that book 2 was shelved under Weber in the library, I didn't find it until months later. I skipped it and read book 3, but the writing style didn't grab me as much as the first book and I'd definitely missed a lot of plot from skipping a book. The book is a decent read, though, so it was still interesting in and of itself. Maybe I'll go back and read the second book someday and this one will make more sense.
Winston Smith
Jan 24, 2013 Winston Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: assati-shards
The part of the 1632 series that I've always been the least interested in was the religious conflict aspect, so large parts of this book weren't that interesting. Also, in a similar way to the Ram Rebellion, the book spends a significant portion of its time featuring characters that should really be in the margins of the story.

The last third of the book picks up dramatically and becomes significantly more interesting, but it was hard work to get there.
Megan
Jul 08, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it
This is my re-reading of this book. It starts slow, especially I think considering I avoid all the Virginia DeMarce books because they're horrible so I don't catch all the references in the beginning. Regardless, when the story picks up I find it really interesting. I'm glad to see Sharon given a chance for development beyond Hans Richter's fiancee, and the story is interesting. The fact that I love Italy may help, but regardless it's a good read.
John Bannion
Sep 11, 2013 John Bannion rated it did not like it
Gah! The afterword certainly reveals the writing by committee of the book; certain threads (Mazzare and company, especially Lennox) were very fine, others (the Stone boys and their adventures) were absurd, tedious, overlong. Why certain of the authors feel compelled to elaborate on the hormonal vagaries of a young man in love at such length, as though they wanted alien visitors to understand it, is beyond me. Certainly the poorest of a generally enjoyable series.
Andreas
May 15, 2011 Andreas rated it it was ok
The first of many sequels to 1632 and 1633, this book focuses more on the theological-political impact of the Ring of Fire. The newly formed United States of Europe sends a delegation to Venice. This leads, more or less on purpose, to links with the Vatican and involvement in the trial of Galileo. It is a decent read reading, but there is much less action than in 1632 and 1633. Overall, this book is nowhere near as much fun as the first two.

Kay
Mar 10, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
I still love the up-timers from this series and really enjoy learning the history of the Thirty Years' War, but the writing is beginning to be a bit "stretched". I had hoped there would be more of Galileo's trial (cannot say too much for fear of spoilers).

The series continues and I'll continue reading it.
Varin
Jul 07, 2010 Varin rated it it was ok
I was spoiled by the previous books I had read. They were so much better. The guy writing as a collaborator is not a strong writer. It took over a hundred pages for them to find the characters and plot. Once it got moving, it was fine. Not a book I'm recommending to anyone who isn't a fan of the series.
Aaron Anderson
Not horrible, but not terribly great. Basically everything with Stoner's kids feel pretty ridiculous and tedious both. I don't care to read over and over about how hormones and needing to act macho in front of your girlfriend turns teenagers brains to mush. Really. If they'd basically cut that plot thread out, or done it differently, the book would have been a lot better.
Charles Kennedy
Jul 26, 2012 Charles Kennedy rated it really liked it
My favorite of the 1632 series. Since the series has different combinations of authors the style varies from book to book. Like how it is based on actual history. Very good for learning Northern European history and geography. I thought I had read about that era of history fairly well, clearly I had a lot more to learn.

1632 is also very good.
John Barclay
Aug 12, 2016 John Barclay rated it liked it
I found this less interesting than the previous books in the series. Too much intrigue in the courts of the world and too little of the clash of cultures. If the Americans are just players in the games of Europe then they are not the revolution that they seemed to be in the first books. Still, fun and smart and well written and full of ideas.
Kevin
Mar 03, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it
A fair installment of the series, better than the last but still wanting in terms of over all series plot development. I'm not sure I'm the best person for all the filler stories they've produced. I like the grand scope stories better than these character pieces. I deal with minutia at work, I kind of like the escape this series held on an epic scale.
Joseph Marx
Jan 06, 2015 Joseph Marx rated it it was amazing
Excellent addition to the series. The discussion of religion and politics in both the Modern and Early Modern Era is extremely well researched and flows seamlessly into the action and conspiracy plot lines of the actual "Galileo Affair".
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
  • 1636: Seas of Fortune (Assiti Shards, #20)
  • Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1)
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • The Grapple (Settling Accounts, #3)
  • On the Oceans of Eternity (Nantucket, #3)
  • Hannibal's Children
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Final Impact (Axis of Time, #3)
  • 1636: The Barbie Consortium (Ring of Fire Book 18)
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.
More about Eric Flint...

Assiti Shards (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • 1632 (Assiti Shards, #1)
  • 1633 (Assiti Shards, #2)
  • 1634: The Ram Rebellion (Assiti Shards, #4)
  • 1634 The Baltic War (Assiti Shards, #5)
  • 1634 The Bavarian Crisis  (Assiti Shards, #6)
  • 1635: A Parcel of Rogues (Assiti Shards, #7)
  • 1635: Cannon Law (Assiti Shards, #8)
  • 1635: The Dreeson Incident (Assiti Shards, #9)
  • 1635: The Eastern Front (Assiti Shards, #10)
  • 1635: Papal Stakes (Assiti Shards, #11)