Start by marking “Moominvalley In November” as Want to Read:
Moominvalley In November

Moominvalley In November (The Moomins #9)

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,449 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
Translated by Kingsley Hart

Tove Jansson's Moomin characters and books are admired the world over. In the United States the series beginning with Finn Family Moomintroll (first published in English in 1945) has accumulated generations of fans. Since Farrar, Straus and Giroux began reissuing the books in 1989, grateful readers old and new have been thrilled to have the stori
Published (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Moominvalley In November, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moominvalley In November

Melki
What a weird little book!

This was my first visit to Moominvalley and apparently, I picked the wrong month . . . just like all of the characters in this book. They show up unannounced on the Moomin's doorstep, expecting solace and cheer, and instead they find emptiness and despair in a bleak, lonely house. The fact that the owners are gone doesn't stop the uninvited guests from making themselves at home, raiding the pantry and tracking mud into the house. And yet, life seems meaningless. They wan
Zack
Dec 10, 2008 Zack rated it it was amazing
Possibly the most melancholy children's book ever written. While the Moomin stories all have a slightly unnerving, mysterious quality, but this one is outright existential.

The idea is simple: What if there was a children's book where the main characters never showed up? Various supporting players from the other Moomin books converge on the Moomins' house, but they're just not there. Normally, this would lead to a quest story to find the family, but in his case, the Moomins are just away on a tri
Greg
If you like your children books to be depressing and bleak you couldn't do much better than Moominvalley in November. Edward Tulane, might have had it's moments of despair, and had an overarching sadness to it, but next to this novel it's pretty fucking upbeat.

If Ingmar Bergman ever directed a children's movie it would probably be like this. Six depressed and solitary people separately decide to visit this one family that has always made them feel like life is worth living. Instead of finding t
Katie
Oct 28, 2007 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tender ode to the aura of autumn – drenched in reflective anticipations of the approaching hibernation and speckled with mysterious promises for new beginnings. Clever and wise.
Rebecca Foster
Here’s an offbeat selection for November. Strangely dark for a children’s book, it’s the last in the Moomins series. Tove Jansson said that after the Second World War she was depressed and wanted to write about something naïve and innocent. She wrote the first book of the Moomins series in 1945, about a family of hippo-like white trolls. The Moomins are well known and loved by many European children, but I suspect this book is more obscure and less lighthearted than the rest. Perhaps Jansson exp ...more
Tämä viimeinen Muumi oli niin kaunis ja kaihoisa, etten meinannut malttaa laskea sitä käsistäni. Eihän tässä, kuten oikeastaan Muumipapassa ja meressäkään varsinaisesti mitään tapahtunut, mutta Toven ilmiömäinen taito luoda hahmoja ja tunnelmia vei jälleen kerran mennessään. Tästä Marraskuusta tuli melkein yllättäenkin koko sarjan lempikirja, onneksi olen aloittanut nämä töissä satuhetkellä alusta, niin ei tarvitse muumeista muutamaan kuukauteen vielä kokonaan luopua.
Candace
Jun 13, 2016 Candace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book so completely captures loss. Like everything Jansson writes, she reduces the plainest and most vital aspects of life to their component parts. Eloquent, mundane, and profound. It was delightful and it also broke my heart.

"How can there be so many sounds in an empty house, Fillyjonk thought. Then she remembered that the house was full of people. But somehow she still thought it was empty."
Bistra Ivanova
О, толкова прекрасна книжка за времето, когато есента си отива на пръсти и внезапно ти се приисква да се увиеш в пашкул! Муминското семейство отсъства, но в къщата им внезапно се появяват гости, които нямат друг избор освен да се опитат да си прекарат добре (заедно). Най-мила ми бе Филифьонката и още дълго ще помня главата с чистенето, трета поред :-)

Туве е толкова нежна и светла душа, прекрасен писател, обичам я от сърце! (Да пишеш за деца е същото като да пишеш за възрастни, беше казал някой
Pixelina
Oct 15, 2013 Pixelina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-and-ya
Det är som när man kommer hem till sin mamma men hon är ute. Huset är detsamma, bara lite mörkare och tystare. Och även om man tänder alla lampor och slår på radion är det liksom ändå inte samma sak. Det är lite ödsligt and liksom lite kallare. Man sätter sig ner på en stol vid köksbordet och försöker säga 'Jaha ja, pffft, dom kommer nog snart'
Man dinglar med benen och försöker lösa lite i ett korsord men det går inte så bra. Man reser sig upp och gör en kopp kaffe, men den smakar liksom lite pl
Ruth Bonetti
Aug 09, 2014 Ruth Bonetti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Tove Jansson's Moomin books and discovered at an exhibition of her work in Helsinki that she is an even better painter.
This quote clicked with me to reshape the structure of my coming book 'Burn My Letters' (see http://bit.ly/burnmyletters)

'There are those who stay at home and those who go away and it has always been so. Everyone can choose for himself, but he must choose while there is still time and never change his mind.'

My only qualm with this book is that its sudden ending with litt
Susanna
Dec 13, 2014 Susanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ilus lugu igatsusest
Nate D
Jun 24, 2016 Nate D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finland, read-in-2016
I really wish I'd been reading Tove Jansson as an actual child, but she reads pretty wonderfully anytime, really. A late entry (the last?) into her Moomin series, this one actually features no Moomins as they've gone aways for the season leaving various friends and acquaintances to mope around their empty house seeking meaning in their vacant existences. November is the perfect month for this, and the tone really is excellent (and super weird for a book ostensibly aimed at children). Ultimately, ...more
Jaana Viskari
"On niitä jotka jäävät ja toisia jotka lähtevät, niin on ollut aina. Kukin saa valita itse, mutta on valittava ajoissa, eikä koskaan saa antaa periksi.”

Kirja, joka pitää lukea uudelleen aina syksyisin. Mietteliäin, melankolisin, ja ehkä muumikirjoista selkeimmin "aikuisille suunnattu" kirja.
Muumiperhe on lähtenyt (kukaan ei tiedä minne), ja koleaan, syksyiseen ja tyhjään muumitaloon kokoontuu erikoinen joukko muumiperheen ystäviä.
Heistä jokainen käy läpi omanlaisensa identiteettikriisin uudessa
Kimley
Wish I'd done this on the other Moomin books but some of my favorite quotes from this one:

"All you have to do is walk out of the door with your hat on at a jaunty angle!"

"It's a little sad when you forget other people's names but it's lovely to be able to completely forget your own."
Superstine
Jun 04, 2015 Superstine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finland, 1970-1980
Vet ikke hvordan jeg skal forholde meg til det faktum at jeg snart har lest alle mummibøkene. Sette meg ned å gråte, lese alle bøkene på nytt, tatovere en hemul bak øret?
Deana Morris
Jan 12, 2015 Deana Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you suffer from insomnia may I prescribe a Moomin book; guaranteed to lull your over active mind into gentle slumber within a few chapters.

I frequently revisit these beautiful stories in the small hours, always comforted by the truths we rediscover through the characters' exploits.

The November book brings together secondary characters and excludes the Moomins altogether. But it's none the poorer for all that.

I've never been a big hemulin fan, but I grew to quite like him in this story. And oh
S,
This was ridiculously good - and smart. I cannot express in words how much I appreciate Jansson as one of those children's book authors who don't underestimate the intelligence of her readers. She dares to approach subjects that are dark and complicated and doesn't explain everything out, she lets her readers do the work themselves and find meanings that are valuable to them.

I loved how she used Moominvalley as a metaphor: the valley represented happiness to all of the characters, but for differ
Marigold
I had never heard of Tove Jansson or the Moomin children's books before my friend Jeanne introduced me to this one. She loaned me this at a time when I was experiencing some mild anxiety & she thought the gentle fantasy world depicted here would be good for me. In the end I resolved my anxieties before I read the book, so I hung onto it until this month, feeling it would be appropriate to read it in November!

I don't see it as bleak or dark as some reviewers have called it. Is it a children'
Leonardo
Feb 12, 2015 Leonardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of children literature for children of all ages
Could Narnia survive without Aslan? Would Hogwarts be relevant without Harry Potter? The effect of the abscence of the most iconic characters of a world of fiction with which they are inherently linked could be devastating, but Moominvalley manages to survive the mysterious "dissapearance" of the endearing family of trolls that had been the focus on all previous books. When a disparate band of characters arrive to the valley in search of reasurance, after a major identity/life crisis that has sh ...more
Hannah
Jun 16, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the saddest book you'll ever read, but with a hopeful, open-ended ending, which to be honest, I think was the best way to end the Moomins??? And not exactly some unlikely friendships, but unlikely characters supporting each other and encouraging each other when they're all as sad as each other, which is a nice.
Lotta
This is a review of the original Swedish, read by Mark Levengood. It's the last of the books in the Moomin series. It's a wonderfully sweet, sad and funny little story. Six characters from the Moomin books gather in the valley late one autumn to visit with the Moomin family, only to find them inexplicably missing. They each have their own image of the Moomins and the valley and come looking for answers to life questions, but instead are forced to find them for themselves.

Hemulen, en homsa vid na
Deborah O'Carroll
I was nervous that I wouldn't like this one at first... but it turned out okay, so I was glad. :) I'm not sure I liked the translator of this one as much? And it starts out rather melancholy and I wasn't sure if I liked the characters much, but of course they grew on me. I thought it would be sad but it wasn't. Yay! And of course I love Snufkin! ;) It was awesome how everyone kept coming to his tent. XD And I really liked Toft too, he's adorbz. Some of it was a little vague and hard to sort of g ...more
Stephen Curran
Jan 15, 2016 Stephen Curran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Hemulen woke up slowly and recognised himself and wished he had been someone he didn't know."

Nobody writes about sadness with as much clarity as Tove Jansson. This is the ninth Moomins book. Over the series, the tone has grown incrementally more melancholic. So it seems fitting that, for this final volume, the Moomin family do not appear. It ends with an absence.

This is not an adventure like Comet in Moominland or Moominsummer Madness. It's the story of a disperate group of characters findi
Natalie (weneedhunny)
In this book, the regular main characters of the Moomin world - the moomin family, are not present. Instead we're introduced to other characters like Hemulen, Tofft, and Snuffkin. I did enjoy reading about them as they all ended up at the moomin family's empty house and following their passing of cold, rainy days in late autumn. However many of my favorite characters were missing (My, moominmamma), so it's not my favorite book in the collection. I think part of the genius of Tove Janssons charac ...more
Nilsson
I don't mean to offend her, but I hope I never meet the Fillyjonk. She's really strict, and she would probably yell if somebody was eating cake for breakfast or throwing snow inside the house. I'm a little bit scared of her, she reminds me of the old lady I live with a little bit.
Ta
Mar 09, 2016 Ta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Przepiękny język i niesamowicie żywe opisy. Tylko bez Muminków to nie to samo. I dla dzisiejszej młodzieży (czytałam to mojemu 6-letniemu synowi) niezbyt strawne, bo za mało dynamiczne. Ale usypiał przy tym szybko :)
David Svinth
Rigtig fin børnebog med egen logik og roligt handlingsforløb. Den melankolske stemning og det malende billedsprog gør læsningen til en litterær oplevelse - i modsætning til de gamle, moralisernede børnebøger.
Anbefalelsesværdig til en regnvejrsdag sent i november..
Drew
Oct 01, 2015 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know what to do with this.

It's autumn. And six minor characters from the Moomin series dealing with various personal crises, arrive in Moominvalley hoping to find some kind of meaning and fulfillment. They discover that the Moominfamily is gone, so they all move in to the empty Moomin house and go on their interior voyages of personal discovery.

So we have a Moomin book without any Moomins in it. Just a bunch of really messed up characters trying to cope with life. Another reviewer h
Deborah
Apr 08, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've picked this edition because it has the same cover as mine, but mine is a Puffin paperback. I like this book. The Moomins themselves aren't actually in it ... and yet they are there, as the visitors in this story come to realise. I wish ... I really wish ... that the story had stayed with Toft so we, too, could have welcomed the Moomins home one final time, recovered after their stay in the lighthouse.

But I loved the characters who came to say in Moominvalley in their absence. A motley asso
Mänsomläser
Nov 15, 2014 Mänsomläser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grafiska-romaner
Det Tove Jansson gör i den här boken är modigt, men så är det också väldigt effektfullt – en Muminbok utan Muminfamiljen. De är frånvarande i hela boken, bortresta. Så vad handlar den då om? Jo, några figurer som av olika anledningar kommer för att söka upp familjen, bara för att upptäcka att de inte är där. De stannar emellertid kvar och väntar.

Medan de väntar finns inte så mycket annat att göra än att göra upp med sina “dämoner”. De har alla mist någonting och boken handlar mycket om hur de be
Stora Läs Bok Vän...: November 2 :: Sent i November 2 9 Nov 22, 2012 05:47AM
  • Dziewczyna i chłopak czyli heca na 14 fajerek
  • Tainaron: Mail from Another City
  • The Unknown Soldier
  • Kätilö
  • Sinun lapsesi eivät ole sinun
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin
More about Tove Jansson...

The Moomins (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)

“Lie on the bridge and watch the water flowing past. Or run, or wade through the swamp in your red boots. Or roll yourself up and listen to the rain falling on the roof. It's very easy to enjoy yourself.” 78 likes
“The quiet transition from autumn to winter is not a bad time at all. It's a time for protecting and securing things and for making sure you've got in as many supplies as you can. It's nice to gather together everything you possess as close to you as possible, to store up your warmth and your thoughts and burrow yourself into a deep hole inside, a core of safety where you can defend what is important and precious and your very own. Then the cold and the storms and the darkness can do their worst. They can grope their way up the walls looking for a way in, but they won't find one, everything is shut, and you sit inside, laughing in your warmth and your solitude, for you have had foresight.” 57 likes