Start by marking “Love of Life (Short Story Collection)” as Want to Read:
Love of Life (Short Story Collection)

Love of Life (Short Story Collection)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  790 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A collection of eight short stories from American author, journalist, and social activist Jack London. Written during his 'Klondike' period, the title story 'Love of Life' follows the trek of a prospector across the Canadian tundra.

Contents:
- The Unexpected
- The White Man's Way
- Brown
Paperback, Large Print
Published by WWW.Readhowyouwant.com (first published 1905)

To ask other readers questions about Love of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love of Life

Anne Tuuk
Aug 24, 2015 Anne Tuuk rated it it was amazing
Listened on Spotify to this while knitting. The click of the humdrum needles contrasted with the gripping details and the intense scenes. Excellent story telling....
Anna
Dec 17, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, shorts, classics
Remembered reading and loving it in school. Now I want more Jack London in my life, especially after all this years.:)
Steve
Nov 12, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoy London. He does two things really well: tales of the Yukon and tales of Socialism. This collection if of the former variety. Its a captivating way of life from a bygone era. I love it. Of these, Keesh was my favorite, although almost all of these are worth a skim. He actually addresses some interesting social and perspective dilemmas through the stories as well. Not my favorite London work, but not bad overall.

Love of Life…What goes through a man's head and his desires when he's s
Megan
Aug 11, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: snowbound people who can't go anywhere because of a polar vortex
"'Look you,' he said; 'you are a painter-man. How would you paint this which I saw, a picture without beginning, the ending of which I do not understand, a piece of life with the northern lights for a candle and Alaska for a frame.'" <-- put this on the book jacket

I used to think there was something corny about Jack London (all those dog stories!) but he has more range than I give him credit for. Some of these are pure survivalist stories, and that's certainly what he's most famous for, but h
Chris
May 27, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack London is one of my favorite authors. He dive-bombs straight into an exploration of the endurance of the human spirit, and makes it walk to the very brink of insanity and death before pulling it back to see what burned off in the struggle. He subjects his stories' heroes to the most tortuous of scenarios and the most savage of antagonists that strips the skin, muscles, and bones from the protagonist's character until the last bit of grit is revealed that signifies the truest bit of life tha ...more
Vlada Volkova
Nov 30, 2014 Vlada Volkova rated it it was amazing
These stories are a great way of getting acquainted with culture and mentality of Native American tribes. You can see what a true courage means and how people of different nations are trying to interact and understand each other. Besides, these stories contain some useful tips to survive if you happen to face the wildlife.

My personal rating of the stories:
1) Love of Life
2) Brown Wolf
3) The Sun Dog Trail
4) The White Man's Way
5) The Story of Keesh
6) A Day's Lodging; Negore, The Coward; The Unexp
Raziel
Oct 11, 2015 Raziel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
...donde la vida se desarrollaba al dictado de las costumbres invariables, y lo inesperado era tan inesperado que, cuando sucedía, se consideraba casi una inmoralidad. [p. 103 | Lo inesperado]

Aprendió a mirar el peligro con discernimiento y perspicacia y perdió para siempre ese miedo que es hijo de la ignorancia. [p. 104 | Lo inesperado]

Nos damos prisa muy despacio. -Sitka Charley- [p. 180 | El camino de los soles falsos]

¿Por qué Sitka Charley trabaja tanto, pasa hambre y sufre tanto? Por seteci
Santanu Dutta
Oct 24, 2015 Santanu Dutta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of short stories of Jack London. The book contains a total of eight short stories a couple of which are rare to find. All the stories are based on the Gold Rush adventures in far north and Klondyke in the early 1900s.
1. LOVE OF LIFE
2. A DAY’S LODGING
3. THE WHITE MAN’S WAY
4. THE STORY OF KEESH
5. THE UNEXPECTED
6. BROWN WOLF
7. THE SUN-DOG TRAIL
8. NEGORE, THE COWARD
The first and title story "Love of Life" is one of the best by the author. Also close to in the same class are les
Taras Filonenko
Apr 27, 2014 Taras Filonenko rated it really liked it
Неймовірне бажання головного героя вижити демонструє сталеву силу волі людини на межі життя і смерті.
Англійською читається важко.
Come Musica
Dec 07, 2015 Come Musica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La natura è uno dei protagonisti di questo racconto.
Tutto ruota attorno alla vita e al sopravvivere.
Alex
Sep 14, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing
a raw, ironic and badass tale about the transmutation of greed... bread becomes gold in the hungry mans eyes!
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Dec 19, 2014 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic
It's a man eat dog kinda world...if you are Jack London and you love the frozen tundra.
Ikhtiyar
Apr 04, 2016 Ikhtiyar rated it it was amazing
A great story. Doesn't take you long to read, but gives you lot to think.
Şәbnәm Abduraxmanova
Feb 27, 2014 Şәbnәm Abduraxmanova rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is first book which i read. And this book is still my favourite one <3 i want to read this book again.
Jeff Yoak
This story portrays the tribulations of a man abandoned by his partner and starving to death. He never lets the desperation of his situation overcome his will to survive. It is Castaway writ small. It was enjoyable at a single pass, but with little replayability.
Matt
Nov 07, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every time I think I've finished with them, I find another collection of short stories about the Yukon from Jack London! This one was more interesting than some of the ones I've read so far, though. I wonder if there are even more...?
Sandy
Jul 12, 2012 Sandy rated it liked it
One of Jack London's more enjoyable short story collections. The short story Love of Life in particular leaves its mark.
r3ing
Dec 07, 2012 r3ing rated it really liked it
As always, London's powerful writing presents the struggles of life viscerally before you. Always love to read his works. Just spread them out. His style is very distinctive and can get overpowering at times.
Marie-aimée
Aug 15, 2011 Marie-aimée rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, action, fr
Histoire d'hommes en Alaska, chasseur d'or. Personnellement, je l'ai trouvé un peu ennuyant.
Anuja
Aug 31, 2011 Anuja rated it it was amazing
makes u think of life like nothing else.as close to the struggle for life as one can get.
Kristen-Marie Freeman
Dec 19, 2009 Kristen-Marie Freeman rated it really liked it
Very involving, a nice payoff at the end.
Thomas A Wiebe
One of my favorite London short stories.
Tim
Aug 26, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it
Audio version.
Mary Rassolov
Mary Rassolov rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Ísar Sigurþórsson
Ísar Sigurþórsson rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Darth
Darth rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Cristina Boghean
Cristina Boghean rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Elvin
Elvin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Subash
Subash marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
  • رحلات داوتي في الجزيرة العربية
  • An Antarctic Mystery
  • Tarzan Series (Tarzan, #1-8)
  • The Holy Bible - American Standard Version (ASV)
  • Novelas Ejemplares I (Novelas Ejemplares, #1)
  • Pigs Is Pigs
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • D'ARTAGNAN ROMANCES: The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Ten Years Later, Louise de la Valliere, The Man in the Iron Mask (FLT Classics Series)
  • Cabbages and Kings
  • Osceola the Seminole: The Red Fawn of the Flower Land
  • The Gun
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Histories
  • Остров Погибших Кораблей
  • The Ghost Pirates
  • The Stoic (Trilogy of desire, #3)
  • Cabo Trafalgar
  • Favorite Jane Austen Novels: Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion (Complete and Unabridged)
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...

“And, dying, he declined to die.” 1 likes