Start by marking “Modern Japanese Stories: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Modern Japanese Stories: An Anthology

Modern Japanese Stories: An Anthology

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This collection shows the qualities that make Japanese literature among the world's finest.

Including "Under Reconstruction," considered to be the first modern Japanese short story, this book presents the short stories of Japan as among the world's most satisfying.

Edited by Ivan Morris, a recognized authority on Japanese literature, Modern Japanese Stories: An Anthology is...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Tuttle Publishing (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Japanese Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Japanese Stories

DeanJean
If anyone needs a brief introduction to Japanese literature, this is a good place to start.

This anthology series focuses mainly on Japan's post-war literary period, featuring authors such as Dazai Osamu, Tanizaki Junichiro and Yukio Mishima (I borrowed this book because of Mr Mishima but I found lots of good authors in here too :-) )
Tosh
I think originally put together sometime in the 60's this is an classic anthology of Japanese fiction stories. It's a great place to start if one doesn't have a place to start. As you can gather from my list of books, I really love Japanese literature - but mostly 19th and 20th century writing.

A lot of Japanese writing has that 'personal' tone down really well. In fact there is a school of ficition called the "I Novel" or "I Story," where you sort of under the spell of the narrator or storytell...more
Michael
The excellent stories of this anthology bridge the traditional old Japan with the postwar new Japan and illustrate many of the changes experienced by the Japanese across social strata, age and gender. The stories by Shiga, Hayama and Niwa were my favorites.
meeners
read to get material for a class i'm teaching. a good mix of stuff here. translations make everyone sound the same, though, which is a real pity. story intros are often extremely outdated.
Rozalia
I really enjoyed reading this book
Hisuin
Hisuin added it
Sep 30, 2014
Aitxiber
Aitxiber marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Isa-janis
Isa-janis marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Badb
Badb marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Alexander Páez
Alexander Páez is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2014
Noime Mendones
Noime Mendones marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
julia
julia marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Ro
Ro marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Vitor Garcia
Vitor Garcia marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Khadija
Khadija marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
D Mac
D Mac marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Chris Bowes
Chris Bowes is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2014
Eadweard
Eadweard marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Pilo_poly
Pilo_poly marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Ana Maria Rînceanu marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ivan Ira Esme Morris (29 November 1925 – 19 July 1976) was a British author and teacher in the field of Japanese Studies.

Ivan Morris was born in London, of mixed American and Swedish parentage, to Ira Victor Morris and Edita Morris. He studied at Gordonstoun, before graduating from Phillips Academy. He began his study of Japanese language and culture at Harvard University, where he received a BA....more
More about Ivan Morris...
The World of the Shining Prince: Court Life in Ancient Japan The Nobility of Failure: Tragic Heroes in the History of Japan Madly Singing in the Mountains: An Anthology of Arthur Waley Puzzle Book Art of Korean Cooking