Start by marking “Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes” as Want to Read:
Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes

Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  661 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This time Lewis Grizzard has gone and done it--written a book about sex, as seen through his bespectacled, ironic squint. He tells us why Junior Leaguers don't do it in groups, why Baptists won't do it standing up, and why Richard Nixon never did it, among other things.

From the Paperback edition.
Published August 27th 1997 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
85th out of 2,213 books — 2,041 voters
We Got Zombies On The Lawn Again, Ma by Donnie  SmithSomething Bad by Dab10Somewhere Upriver by Patrick LoafmanMiscellaneous Stuff & Stuff by Jim HenryPrincess gives it away by Dab10
Read for a laugh
195th out of 198 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg Bates
"There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that quite easily."

If you weren't around during a very specific point in American history (the late 80's, when Reaganomics was the rage and "Full House" was the raunchiest thing on TV) and in a specific place (the South), you've probably never heard of, nor would you care to hear of Lewis Grizzard. Erma Bombeck with a penis, the proto-shoggoth version of Jeff Foxworthy, Grizzard (rhyme
David Caldwell
This is Lewis Grizzard's book on sex.Now before you start imaging all sorts of things, let me clarify that some. He does talk about sex, but never uses any bad language and doesn't talk about positions or things like that. What the book is, is a collection of musings and jokes and comments on how sex basically shapes all of our lives told in his downhome humorous style.This is not a collection of his newspaper columns.

He tells about his several honeymoons, how men are raging hormones as teenager
Kitty
The late Lewis Grizzard was my favorite Southern humorist. I grinned the whole way through.
Gail
People should read more southern humorists and publishing houses take note.
Griffin Brown
Lewis Grizzard’s Don’t Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes is a book with no true purpose. The book covers Lewis’s views on sex and marriage while giving the reader a good laugh. It’s sad to say that the title is better than some of the book, but with a title as catching as Don’t Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes, it’s hard a book up to par. This book is overall a bunch of unrelated jokes about things that should not be listed in a class en ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Sexual humor. He talks about his views on comedy and gives ribald examples of hi "humor". There are also some racial and religious references that are in poor taste.
Deborah
Mar 18, 2008 Deborah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: feminists
Can't say exactly what was so great about all these Grizzard books that I read during the 80s, but they made me laugh. I think I learned a lot about men, especially men who became befuddled after the women's revolution of the 60s . . . those men who couldn't figure out whether or not to open a door for a woman (or lady as he puts it) . . . those men who unwillingly made the transition from "a haircut at the Barber shop" to a "hair-styling at the Salon" at the insistence of their wives. In all he ...more
Henry
Read almost any book by Lewis Grizzard, blest be his name, and you will
turn off your TV instead of watching stupid sitcoms or even Dancing with the Stars.
Just to see his name is hilarious.

He spares no one in his satiric and iconoclastic views of life and the people who we see around us. He doesn't try to be politically correct, which already merits five stars.

You will certainly be reading all his books you can find. Unfortunately,
my library has gotten rid of most of his works, and I MUST find
Barbara Chapman
I've never heard of the author before. He was obviously popular in the 80s. He reminds me of a male Erma Bombeck. I look forward to reading more of his stuff!
Marty
Good book - easy reading. I've read most of his books. I started in about 1980, when a "Non-reader" got one from Christmas and passed it to me to read and give him a book "report". And that stared me reading Lewis Grizzard's books. The world lost a great writer when he died a few years ago.
Cercis11
This is a funny, easy read. Don't buy it though, check it out at the library instead. It's somewhat misogynistic and other books show the author to be more than a little racist and misogynistic. So choose not to spend your dollars supporting his writing (even if he is dead).
Amelia
Lewis Grizzard can always be counted on for a laugh and this book all about sex was no exception, though I have to say that the best part is the title. Well that, and the list of terms he promised not to use -- love muscle, heaving orbs, tunnel of lust, etc.
Carrie
My hubby absolutely loved Lewis Grizzard and his books. We even went to see him on stage and laughed so hard at his style of Southern humor. Hubby has ALL the books and refuses to part with any of them.
Kwee Lewis

Mr. Grizzard's other books were far more entertaining. This one just fell flat for me. So flat that at times it was almost painful to read.
Andrea Salway
It was very entertaining in a sarcastic funny kind of way. The author was known to offend many people but I still found him humorous.
Kaethe
Wow does this seem dated now. I'm afraid to read more than the jacket for fear of cringing.
Flsunluvr
Cute antecdotes but dated material - which makes sense because the book is a few years old.
Dennis
Must read-1
Kept my attention-3
Meaningful-1
Well written-3
Andrew Watson
Grizzard's take on sex. One of his funniest books.
Kim Francis
Hysterical, as a Lewis Grizzard book always is.
Mandy Gann
he is usually SO much funnier than this.
Jerry lewis
good book to laught with
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Michelle Varettoni
Michelle Varettoni marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
  • Ruining It For Everybody
  • How Bluegrass Music Destroyed My Life
  • Blast from the Past (Kinky Friedman, #11)
  • Cosbyology: Essays and Observations from the Doctor of Comedy
  • Rampart Street (Storyville, #3)
  • The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw
  • Boogers Are My Beat: More Lies, But Some Actual Journalism!
  • I'm Eve
  • The Slave Community: Plantation Life in the Antebellum South
  • A Marriage Made in Heaven: Or Too Tired for an Affair
  • Great American Short Stories
  • A Widow's Curse (Fever Devilin, #4)
  • The Elements of Grammar
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • The Ghost Soldiers
  • Cotton: The Biography of a Revolutionary Fiber
  • I Want to Tell You: My Response to Your Letters, Your Messages, Your Questions
  • Sunrise
American writer and humorist, known for his Southern demeanor and commentary on the American South. Although he spent his early career as a newspaper sports writer and editor, becoming the sports editor of the Atlanta Journal at age 23, he is much better known for his humorous newspaper columns in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He was also a popular stand-up comedian & lecturer.

Grizzard als
More about Lewis Grizzard...
Elvis is Dead And I Don't Feel So Good Myself If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground They Tore Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies: In Search of True Grit Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You