Start by marking “Masquerading the Marquess (Lords of Intrigue, #1)” as Want to Read:
Masquerading the Marquess (Lords of Intrigue, #1)

Masquerading the Marquess (Lords of Intrigue #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Anne Mallory makes her Avon debut with this exciting new novel in which everyone has something to hide...Masquerading the Marquess is sure to be loved by fans of Regency–era historical romance and mysteries.

Calliope Minton is a caricaturist in disguise. For her latest role she secures the help of Stephen Chalmers, the one true gentleman she knows and trusts. Unfortunately
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published September 28th 2004 by Avon (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Masquerading the Marquess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masquerading the Marquess

Catherine
I had so much fun reading this book! It was lighthearted and fun without being too fluffy. I had a lot of fun with the characters and can't wait to read the next book!

Calliope was such a great character. I swear, that girl wasn't afraid of anything. She was confident enough in her wits to boldly step into situations that had the potential to turn out badly for her. I never thought about it, but it would make sense that someone of her profession would need to be in close contact with members of t
Katyana
What can I say about this book? *gush gush gush*

It was just delightful fun. I honestly don't have a criticism of it at all. The characters were all frankly perfect. Sure, they had their baggage, but they didn't irritate me. They were never stupid (it is sad that I have to say that, but it seems like it is becoming a rarity - there is nearly always a stupid character or two populating HR). I loved Calliope, James, Stephen, Roth, Robert, and Dierdre.

The plot was a fun twisty bit of intrigue, and
Bronwyn Rykiert
Calliope Minton is a caricaturist; she is masquerading as a companion to a wealthy lady so she can get some ideas for her art work. At these functions she meets James Trenton, the Marquess of Angleford and because of his arrogance he becomes Callie’s favourite person to draw. James is not happy with what he sees and tries to find out who is the artist behind the pictures.

Her next position is one of a courtesan, to carry this one off she needs someone to help her, in steps Stephen Chalmers. Steph
Keri
What I loved about this book was the verbal swordplay that Cal and James were so good about. It was funny and mean at times. What I didn't like about the book was that the mystery took the book over and the romance, IMO, seem to take a backseat to it. During the times that we had romance, it was sweet and hot.

The book flowed well and showed AM's talent. Even though this wasn't may fav or hers, it certainly won't be my last and I look forward to seeing what Stephen gets up to.
Tanisha
Characters had a lot of chemistry.Romance was there although not much.Good read.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Calliope is a woman of many faces and secrets. James is the marquess who has caught her eye, not only as a woman but as an artist, and has secrets himself. They are both involved in a world of espionage, and secrets are found out. Murder, intrigue, government plots, and unexpected love make this a great read!! Not your typical historical romance.
Michele Lacroix
I had to rate this book as a three, because it didn't move me. The characters were good, but the story?
Joy
This was a fast-paced, light and easy read. If you're looking for something that doesn't drag with unpredictable events, I recommend this one.

Although I never saw myself in her shoes, Calliope was really amusing with her quick wit and sharp tongue. I found myself laughing at some scenes and how her drawings were described and I liked how ironic her love for James was manifested - by making a mockery of him with her caricatures. So I thought it would only revolve around that, and the time would u
Catherine
I discovered the talented Anne Mallory after reading – and loving! – Three Nights of Sin. Despite a misleading title, that novel had fabulous three-dimensional characters, interesting plot twists, an electric chemistry between the hero and heroine, and Mallory’s writing was superb. Hoping for a repeat performance, I was quick to snatch up a copy of Mallory’s Masquerading the Marquess.

Unfortunately, I found this novel to be a bit of a letdown. The characters of Calliope and James are both likabl
Elis Madison
Calliope Minton, a/k/a Margaret Stafford, a/k/a Thomas Landes, doesn’t like the nobility much at all. Which is why she does caricatures of them, poking holes in their bloated self-importance. She uses the "Stafford" pseudonym to gain entre among the ton, posing as a companion to an old gossipy society bitch. She publishes her work under the "Landes" pen name, so nobody makes the connection.

And her favorite target is the Earl of Angelford. He's a handsome devil

who has earned her disdain by making
Modesty_b
fabulous story... loved it :) looking forward to reading the others in the series
Elizabeth Bennet
It just was not for me. And not a lot of intimate scenes either.
Amz
Lady Claire, Marchioness of Fancy Pants
One of my fellow reviewers correctly said there was way too much time spent on the "mystery" and not enough time spent on the character's relationship. I say "mystery" because that wasn't even that good to be the sole focus. I finished it because I like Anne Mallory, and I didn't want to abandon her first novel.

I'm so glad her writing has matured, and she gave use Seven Secrets. Not sure if I will read any more of her earlier stuff - hugely disappointing.
penelopewanders
Mini time out between the rings and rays which are here.

Apparently her first novel, this was an enjoyable tale with several levels of complications and subplots. Occasionally a bit too complicated (between the bad guys and the maybe bad guys and the spies and the illegitimate children and evil seeming brothers who never reappeared in the story...), nonetheless an entertaining read. An author to continue to follow.
Tabetha Waite
A book by a debut author, this book was rather original and had a bit of humor that I found refreshing. The heroine in the novel is a caricaturist and sets her sights on the unwitting male in the story. Naturally, this causes a bit of friction, for he is getting a lot of attention about society when her scandalous cartoons begin to make their way into the papers. A definite recommendation!
Anna
My first experience of Anne Mallory's writing. This book was so good! She made me laugh out loud while reading, which not every author can do. Her unique characters are a treasure.
Lauri
This was the first novel Anne wrote and it was a real treasure. Very enjoyable and cleaverly writen. I loved this story very much.
Tiff's*Addictiontobooks
The first book of Anne Mallory that I've read and it won't be the last. This book was such a fun easy read that finished it one day.
Danielle Hancock
I am a sucker for these types of books. I can't help it lol.
Yvonne Gom
One of my fav books yet!
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Berni
Berni marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Christelle
Christelle marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Cheryl David
Cheryl David marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
  • As Luck Would Have It (Providence, #1)
  • Seducing the Spy (Royal Four, #4)
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Challenge to Honor (Masters at Arms #1)
  • At Your Pleasure
  • A Rose In The Storm (Scottish Medieval, #2)
  • Tempting Fortune (Malloren, #2)
  • Hidden Honor
  • One Week As Lovers (Huntington, #3)
  • What a Gentleman Desires (Redgrave #3)
  • The Mad, Bad Duke (Nvengaria, #2)
  • Amber (Chase Family Series #4)
  • Captives of the Night (Scoundrels, #2)
  • A Bride by Moonlight (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #4)
  • The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)
  • A Duchess to Remember (Ministry of Marriage, #3)
  • Nothing But Velvet (Litchfield, #1)
Some people have always known they wanted to write. Others fall into it and discover its inherent joy. I’m somewhere in between. As an avid reader, writing a novel had always tickled the back of my mind. There seem to be a lot of people who say, “Someday I’ll write a book.” For me, the feeling tickled, moved into an incessant knocking and finally became a dull roar. All I needed was to make that “ ...more
More about Anne Mallory...

Lords of Intrigue (3 books)
  • Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue, #2)
  • What Isabella Desires (Lords of Intrigue, #3)
Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1) Three Nights of Sin One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2) In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3) For the Earl's Pleasure