Start by marking “The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)

The Regiment (The Regiment #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The planet Tyss has only one resource: soldiers. But they are very good soldiers. And once a regiment is formed, it never recruits again; as its members fall in battle, it simply grows smaller to become a battalion, a company, a platoon, a squad . . . and then there are none. But before the last man of this regiment has flung himself into battle, the Federation of Worlds w ...more
Published March 1st 1987 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about The Regiment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Regiment

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Military Science Fiction
215th out of 544 books — 741 voters
Old Man's War by John ScalziStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinPandora's Star by Peter F. HamiltonRevelation Space by Alastair ReynoldsOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Excellent Space Opera
239th out of 286 books — 1,537 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
This was a 4 star read in a lot of ways. The first half was excellent military SF. The political/conspiracy thread got stronger & made for a good second half, but there was also a thread of mysticism that ran through it that I didn't care for, although it did help support the philosophical thread to some extent.

Overall, the philosophical thread was the main one. We're introduced to it early on in a simplistic format & then it's touched on through out the book. It breaks life into major g
John
1998 grade A-
2008 grade B+
Wayne Kearney
Actually a pretty good book. The action is less important than the social discussion in the background. However, it takes until 3/4 of the way through before you realize what the book is actually about and it's not really broadcast very well. The end is a whimper and a let down. It has little to do with the rest of the book and really ruined the experience for me. There are sequels to this book, but because the ending of this one was so weak, I don't intend to find them. Overall, it's an okay bo ...more
Cory
Oct 18, 2008 Cory rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone enjoying sci-fi for sci-fi
Shelves: sci-fi
As I love the feel of early sci-fi, I really enjoyed this book up to the end where things took a bit of a twist I never saw coming or even understand where it may have been previously anchored in the stiry. SOrt of a lout-of-left-field sort of event. The author puts me in mind of early Heinlien or Hubbard, very quick read.
Jeremy Peck
I've read this book a number of times and find that every time I read it I think about what it says. Work as play, play as work,etc. the book has a simple chart that gives a better understanding of the principals that Dalmas is trying to explain and if you actually think about it, it makes sense.
Rodney Holmes
The military part of the book was good but the most interesting thing about this book and the series, which was it's ideas about work and a person's place in society. The regiment comes from a society whee profession should be like play not work.
Milan Rogers
I am a huge fan of military science fiction. The Regiment series by John Dalmas has to be one of my favorite of all time. The plot and premise are truly innovative and make for an incredibly satisfying read.
Matt Howard
Straight-forward space opera science fiction. We need more books like this and fewer Magic Swords, Evil Thoughts, and other Capitalized Nouns That Are Supposed to Have Magical Significance.
Alan
John Dalmas writes good, solid adventure stories, always entertaining. This book chronicles the adventures of an idealized military unit who represent the best of military virtues.
Jeff Crosby
I lost track of Dalmas when paperbacks started becoming an issue for my vision, but I particularly liked the Regiment novels. Now with ebooks I may return to Dalmas.
Papal Bull
This book could have easily received 3 or 5 stars. It reminded me of a hammer slammer's novel.
John Abbott
John Abbott marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Eduardo Salas Bracho
Eduardo Salas Bracho marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Gregory Rowe
Gregory Rowe marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Damir
Damir added it
Jan 18, 2015
Robert Riddell
Robert Riddell marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Shirley A. Coale
Shirley A. Coale marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Brent Roberts
Brent Roberts marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Trujillo Francisco
Trujillo Francisco marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Falkenberg's Legion  (Falkenberg's Legion, #2)
  • Spacespaw (Dilbia, #2)
  • Paradox Alley (Skyway, #3)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • Slipt
  • Starstrike
  • The Sword (Raj Whitehall, #5)
  • Counting the Cost
  • Officer-cadet
  • Brother to Shadows
  • Star Strike (Inheritance Trilogy, #1)
  • Star Risk Ltd. (Star Risk, #1)
  • The Octagonal Raven
John Dalmas -pseudonym for John Robert Jones- grew up in Minnesota and Michigan and now resides in Spokane, Washington. He was a parachute infantryman in WWII and was discharged in 1946 without ever being put seriously in harm's way. He has worked as a longshoreman, merchant seaman, logger, construction worker, and smokejumper. He attended Michigan State, majoring in forestry, but also taking crea ...more
More about John Dalmas...

The Regiment (5 books)
  • The White Regiment (The Regiment, #2)
  • The Kalif's War (The Regiment, #3)
  • The Regiment's War (The Regiment, #4)
  • The Three-Cornered War  (The Regiment, #5)
The Lion of Farside (Farside, #1) The White Regiment (The Regiment, #2) The Regiment's War (The Regiment, #4) The Three-Cornered War  (The Regiment, #5) The Bavarian Gate (Farside, #2)