Start by marking “Behind the Lines: Powerful and Revealing American and Foreign War Letters---And One Man's Search to Find Them” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
From the editor of the phenomenal "New York Times" bestseller "War Letters" comes an even more powerful, more revealing collection of rare and previously-unpublished letters from every major war in American history -- all discovered during Andrew Carroll's extraordinary three-year journey throughout the U.S. and to thirty-five countries around the world."
Published June 1st 2005 by Scribner Book Company (first published May 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behind the Lines

Ice
May 11, 2010 Ice rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After it was released in June of 2001, Carroll's War Letters shot onto bestseller lists as the U.S. entered its first major war in 10 years. That collection selected 150 letters from 50,000 Carroll received after a Dear Abby mention of his Legacy Project, founded in 1998 to preserve soldiers' letters home; the book ranged from the Civil War to Bosnia. This follow-up reaches from the American Revolution to the war in Iraq and offers 200 letters along with 72 b&w photos and illustrations. All ...more
Christine
Oct 02, 2015 Christine is currently reading it
Thank you "Book Rack" once again! Zipped in really quickly this morning, and found this! Was SO excited! I already have his "War Letters" and "Letters of a Nation", which I LOVED!! Now I see he edited a book called "Women's Letters"! Must get!
Brett
Aug 26, 2009 Brett rated it really liked it
I am sucker for letters as a genre in the first place, but I am especially intrigued by war time letters. War will always be controversial. Even when two people believe war justifiable, there is still the question over whether a given war fits into that category. War and its various aspects can easily be studied and analyzed with a certain amount of detachment, but letters touch on the humanity, heroism, and tragedy of war in a way that no philosophical or historical study can. This is a great c ...more
Bill
Jan 22, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it
Letters from men & women in the military from colonial to modern times. Nothing captures history so well as first person accounts.
A.S. Johnson
Apr 14, 2011 A.S. Johnson rated it liked it
Book was a gift from my niece. Bascially letters from people who served in various wars back and forth to family, lovers, etc. Nice layout, not too informal, a good read, and the personal side of humanity displayed well. More for people who might be more "patriotic" or like reading other peoples love letters, etc.
I'm sure a lot of research was done by the writers part in getting all the various letters and putting them into a coherant order was done.
Overall a nice book. Good coffee table book.
Chris
Feb 12, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Just got it for Christmas already addicted. Im putting off other reading for it. Thanks Kim! Not for the faint hearted all war letters that express the families, and soldiers point of view. Its about as real as you could get to getting close to the effects of war on the phsyche. Dating from the French and Indian War, American Revolution, all the way through to Afghanistan.
TC
Mar 25, 2008 TC rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone curious about how war affects individuals.
I'm not usually one for "war stories" but this book is actually a collection of real war letters ranging from the American Revolution all the way to the current war Iraq. I got teary eyed several times and a couple times I laughed almost hysterically. It is a very moving book and is a revealing and unique view of history. This is a MUST READ!
shay
Jan 06, 2009 shay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100books09, military
a really wonderful collection of letters and emails from soldiers and civilians in wars all over the world. this book was really touching and interesting.
Tiffany
May 19, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the audio book and it was awesome. I laughed so hard at some parts and had to fight to keep the tears away on others. Wonderful book!
Kandis
Jun 25, 2008 Kandis rated it liked it
Interesting and unique (more for my husband than for me) If your into war history--this book is for you
Dean Thompson
Jun 20, 2013 Dean Thompson rated it really liked it
I found it a bit tough to get into. Not really a letters fan, however on the whole I liked it a lot.
Karen
Jul 26, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Should be required reading in all schools.
christina white
Jun 07, 2007 christina white marked it as to-read
Sorry about that earlier review! I was confused!
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Sadayo
Sadayo rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Elizet
Elizet rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Donald Shank
Donald Shank rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Rebeccalynn Higbee
Rebeccalynn Higbee marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Ian Miller
Ian Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Susan Dosemagen
Susan Dosemagen marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
D
D marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Tim Smith
Tim Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Ernest W Lee
Ernest W Lee rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
ariana wenger
ariana wenger marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
  • Love Letters
  • Journals, 1952-2000
  • Oscar Wilde: A Life in Letters
  • Soldier's Heart: Reading Literature Through Peace and War at West Point
  • A Bintel Brief: Sixty Years of Letters from the Lower East Side to the Jewish Daily Forward
  • Vagina Warriors