The Manhattan Project: Big Science and the Atom Bomb

The Manhattan Project: Big Science and the Atom Bomb

2.84 of 5 stars 2.84  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In the twentieth century, almost every aspect of science changed: it spread from insular universities to government, industry, and the military; new disciplines emerged, the boundaries between old ones blurred; and a dizzying array of new products and processes changed people's lives. But perhaps the greatest change was science's growth in scale, scope, and cost, as it was...more
Published October 8th 2003 by Columbia University Press (first published September 17th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Manhattan Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manhattan Project

Liane
This is one of the only times in my life that I just returned a book to the library without finishing it. While the topic is interesting, the narrative was very boring and I wasn't really paying attention to what I was reading. So, I reasoned that life is short and it's time to move on.
Karl
Good, brief review of the Manhattan Project. Overly simplistic and leaves out a lot, but it's super short and easy to read, so that is to be expected. If you want the minimal book experience in learning about the Manhattan Project this is for you.
Dev
The gargantuan undertaking of not just the bomb, but the plutonium deriving demonstrates the awesome scope of Manhattan, the incredible geniuses, and the bureaucracy that was needed.
Amanda
May 19, 2008 Amanda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
started in 2004, got about halfway through, don't think I'll finish it - interesting topic, too boring with too many details
Elise
Only read the first chapter.
Victor Harp
Victor Harp marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Violet Porter
Violet Porter marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Ngaio
Ngaio marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Robert Emdin
Robert Emdin marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2013
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2013
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
Zarka
Zarka added it
Apr 05, 2012
Thomas
Thomas added it
Dec 26, 2010
The Manhattan Project: Big Science and the Atom Bomb. Jeff Hughes Making Isotopes Matter Tales of the Talisman volume 7, Issue 4 College Algebra (with CD-ROM, BCA/iLrn Tutorial, and InfoTrac) Soils of South Africa