Start by marking “Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side” as Want to Read:
Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side

Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  696 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Two complete novels in one volume feature hapless heroes caught in an out-of-kilter spacetime clockwork: Chester W. Chester IV, who has inherited his great-grandfather's lifework--a super computer that can bring any situation or time to life; and Roger Tyson, who is being pursued through time by a motorcycle-riding, rutabaga-like alien in a world where eras millions of yea ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 512 pages
Published April 30th 2002 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Keith Laumer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keith Laumer

Jun 19, 2009 Christian rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Socially awkward geeks
Shelves: science-fiction
"In the Queue" was nice, but the few others I sat through weren't worth it and I abandoned this. It's nice to know I have some capacity for limiting the crap I read.

You may enjoy it if you're the type who listens to novelty songs about Star Trek.
Previously read October 2003

Another freebie from the Baen Free Library.

Since I read this e-book in moments snatched here & there over the past few months - it's difficult to recall some of the material. "In the Queue" is a pointed look at bureaucracy, and "The Planet Wreckers" is film noirish, with a twist that you may have seen on South Park, of all places.

"The Body Builders" gives us a look at society where you can replace your physical body with various makes & models at will, and y

Tapping the vein in the screwball comedy genius of Keith Laumer, the most popular science fiction writer and creator of the Retief series, this volume contains two complete novels of hapless heroes caught in out-of-kilter spacetime clockwork. (May)

Kelly Wagner
I'm rereading a bunch of the old paperback SF that I have another dozen boxes of to go through and get rid of most of. What one finds when rereading old Keith Laumer is that a little bit goes a long way, and that rereading an entire volume gets tiresome. It's dated, it's sexist, it's not nearly as funny as it all seemed back in the 60s when I was reading it in Galaxy magazine as a teenager. The cover illustration, a giant rutabaga on a motorcycle, is pretty funny, and a few pages of the story it ...more
Norman Howe
Did not enjoy this book. With that said, I always find some short story books difficult to read as I cannot keep my attention on different characters and plots; I lose interest. I find his writing a little dull and found myself scheming just to be able to finish the book (I cannot stand leaving a book I've started reading unfinished.
I found this collection of short stories/novellas to be a mixed bag. Some were clever, some were interesting, but some were pretty corny/forced in their attempts at humor. I ended up skipping over a couple of the stories, while quite enjoying some of the others.
More humorous stories in fast, hard-boiled prose from Keith Laumer. Well worth a read.
Had a hard time getting into this bbok. Finally dropped it and went on to something else.
Some interesting ideas in this book, but nothing spectacular.
Some great stories, some not so great, but all at least interesting.
Kevin Connery
Laumers funnier side; short stories and novellas. ...more
Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side by Keith Laumer (2002)
Lynn Calvin
baen ebook
Keith Sanders
Crazy book.
Jakub Muszynski
Jakub Muszynski marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Parijat Mukherjee
Parijat Mukherjee marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Anne Taylor
Anne Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
  • TNT: Telzey Amberdon & Trigger Argee Together
  • Planets of Adventure
  • The Creatures of Man
  • The Forlorn
  • Mother of Demons
  • Pandora's Legions
  • The Multiplex Man
  • Cross The Stars (Hammer's Slammers, #1)
  • Star Soldiers (Central Control, #1-2)
  • The Berserker Throne (Berserker, #7)
  • West Of Honor
  • The Warslayer: The Incredibly True Adventures of Vixen the Slayer, the Beginning
  • The Warmasters
John Keith Laumer (9 June 1925–23 January 1993) was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known f
More about Keith Laumer...