Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #1)

Savannah (Savannah Quartet #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,050 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Few writers have earned a place in readers' hearts as dear as Eugenia Price. Her novels entice us into a vanished world, peopled by characters who immediacy makes their joy, sorrow, heartbreak, and soaring love something we can share and savor. Eugenia Price chose Savannah, Georgia as one of the most fascinating cities of the South, as the setting of a quartet of novels th
Published April 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Savannah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savannah

The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club by Duncan WhiteheadMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John BerendtCollected Works by Flannery O'ConnorThe Complete Stories by Flannery O'ConnorA Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor
100 Books and Authors of Savannah, Georgia
11th out of 113 books — 51 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John BerendtThe Prince of Tides by Pat ConroyThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Books that evoke the South
143rd out of 199 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane
Where I got the book: review copy supplied by the publisher. My feature article on the Savannah Quartet appears on the Historical Novel Society website.

On the eve of the War of 1812, Mark Browning moves to Savannah. On the way he meets Robert Mackay, a successful Savannah merchant, and the two hit it off so well that Mackay invites Mark to stay in his home, thus leading to a lifelong friendship. Against the background of the war, Mark discovers his past and his future.

I’m going to stop here and...more
Susannah Sanford mcdaniel
I read this book at the request of my mother: we're visiting Savannah in June and she wants to see some of the places in this series of books. Mother-daughter bonding over books!

Honestly, I didn't think I would like this book. The narrative voice is very calm and peaceful (in a bit of a woman-of-a-certain-age style...if that makes sense), and a little on the flowery side, but without being obnoxious. When I first started reading it, I thought it would be one of those books where the writing sty...more
Kimberly
An old-fashioned sweeping saga of the Old South. Took a little while to get into it, but I liked the combination of historical and architectural appreciation, woven into a story of family dysfunction and resolution. Refreshing that love was represented without sordid sexual scenes- that topic was treated with respect, which I'd love to see more often in novels.
I did like the exploration of the good and bad coexisting within a person- with some people leaning more in one direction or the other. A...more
Becky
Price, Eugenia. 1983. Savannah.

First sentence: Hands gripping the rail of the plunging schooner Eliza, young Mark Browning, his well-tailored clothes wet and rumpled, stood on deck alone, determined not to be sick.

Eugenia Price, along with Margaret Mitchell, was one of the primary reasons I first fell in love with historical fiction. (Or perhaps I should say historical fiction with more than a couple of splashes of romance added into the mix.) (I honestly can't remember if this series "found" me...more
Beth
I am only 100 pages into this and am reading it the same time as Dragonfly in Amber. Am I a sucker for punishment or what, reading two huge books at the same time. Anyway, what I have to say about this book is that if the author tells me one more time how nobel, without guile, beautiful etc. the main character, Mark, is I am going to scream. Nobody is that terrific. I am going to keep reading but as I do I can't help but keep scoffing at his noble self.

I finally finished this book and although i...more
Erin
I absolutely love the Savannah quartet. I just re-read these 4 books and I forgot how much I loved them. The history from the quartet is AMAZING, and as a history teacher seeing personal reactions to the events that unfold from 1812-1865 is one of my favorite parts. And what I love best about Eugenia Price novels is that many of the characters are real! While Mark and his family is fictional the McKay family is real, and the research that went into these books is meticulous. While at times they...more
Lyn
I have just finished the third book, Before the Darkness Falls, in the Eugenia Price Savannah Quartet. I have the fourth and final book loaded on my Kindle and will start it later today. I am looking forward to reading Stranger in Savannah, but am saddened to know I will soon leave these wonderful families portrayed, who have become like family and friends to me. I can’t say enough about Eugenia Price’s writing. She weaves fiction with fact in a most amazing way and makes her characters come to...more
Hmo
Much better than the cover describes... learned a good deal about pre-civil war deep South. Writing style a bit goody-two-shoes and the principal character annoying at times, but the history is sound and if you've been to Savannah, the name-dropping and situations are amusing.
Cindy
This was a great story that took a long time to get to where it was going. It was truely a southern novel as it was paced just about the same as a walk on a hot day.
Sue
Twenty year old orphan Mark Browning books passage from Philadelphia to Savannah in 1812 in search of a new life. During the voyage, he becomes friends with another passenger, Robert Mackay. Mackay is so impressed by Mark that he invites him to stay with his family once they arrive in Savannah. It becomes a life-long friendship. Mark knew that his father spoke often of Savannah and his travels there but Mark didn't know about his family roots. It becomes a time of self identity and he forges hi...more
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Savannah is on the cusp of war with Britain. Mark Browning is attempting to find his way in the city of his mother?s birth. Secrets are in the air. The truth may cleanse the soul and destroy the heart.

Mark loves a woman whom he will never tell. Another one loves him. Her family has a terrible secret. The secrets of Savannah eventually come to light. It is explosive enough to rock Mark and all he knows.

Past and present are about to collide. Mark is standing in the middle. The revelations separate...more
Antof9
Well, this was definitely an interesting book, but I just didn't care about all the characters quite as much as I did the characters in Gone With the Wind (which the back cover compares it to).

I almost wish we had met Aunt Nassie, who had already passed away when the story started. She seemed like she might have been a more interesting character than some in the book. . .

I never did fully understand the whole point of Mark's wanting his family name to be kept secret. I get the whole "I want to...more
Beth Strand
‘Savannah” Left Me a Bit Cold
“Savannah” by Eugenia Price details the story of recently orphaned Mark Browning as he leaves his position as a wealthy Philadelphian and begins life anew in the city of Savannah in 1812. Fueled only by his father’s effusive stories of Savannah and the knowledge that his father met his mother in Savannah, Mark boards a ship to begin a new life. Literally by accident, he is befriended by Robert Mackay who insists that he start his life in Savannah in the Mackay home....more
Kaethe
Price's work is extremely popular in Georgia. I found her historical novels entertaining and informative, since I had a pretty cursory view of Georgia history, more informed by Gone With the Wind than anything else. Plus, my Granny read similar works about NC history, so there's kind of a nostalgic appeal for me.
Heidi
i wish i could better type the sound "muhnuhhh". that's how i feel after reading this book. i bought this book at a rummage sale 5 years ago whilst i was living in savannah. the historical aspects and descriptions are interesting and spot on, the story is just so-so. i feel like the jacket description(which i never read prior) was WAY off. that was just a bump on a very long log. while i am aware of my bias, the comparison to Gone With The Wind was only true in that both books take place in Geor...more
Nicolas
This is a pretty long book, but I liked it so much I read it in two days. It’s the first book of the Savannah Quartet by Eugenia Price. The setting in this book really hit home for me. I have family in Savannah, so that’s what initially drew me to this intriguing piece of historical fiction. Eugenia Price described the Savannah I know, from an “Old South” perspective that was new to me. Also I found the main character particularly balanced, and it was easy for me to identify with him. He was aro...more
Hilary
Checked out because of St. Patrick’s Day trip to Savannah. Goes from 1812-1825. It is the first in a trilogy, I believe. Was so-so, in terms of writing. Interesting to read of things that had happened in the city – some before the book was set (and we saw many reminders of these in Savannah on our visit), some during (a great fire that burned down much of the housing in the areas Jim and I had walked). But the characters were a little too storybook, not horribly real. Apparently several were act...more
Leslie Roarty
Awesome historical novel

I was enthralled by every word I read and can not wait to be in Savannah to walk the streets and truly feel the history in which I read.
Melanie
You can tell that for Eugenia Price this book was a labor of love to write. The characters pulled me in from the start. If I had not already loved Savannah as a city, I would have by the end of this book. I love that some of her characters were bases on people who actually lived and that you can go to Savannah and walk the streets and see where their house actually stood at one point. And she also tells you where they are buried. Love this book and can not wait to read the next.
Pam
I have read and enjoyed all the Eugenia Price books about the families who lived in Savannah, St Simons Island and other surrounding areas. I enjoyed the fact that they wove a story about families and their struggles. We visited St Simons Island and Christ Church. The names in the cemetery seemed like old friends. I was really sad when she stopped writing these series.
Lora
Love Savannah and loved the history in this book. Apparently almost all are real people. Liked it even more knowing that!
Cindy
Believe it or not this author was recommended by a tour guide in St. Augustine Fl. This author writes a series of historical fiction mostly about the south. I did like this book and will at some time continue reading the rest of the series. I also want to read the books that were set in Florida.
Martha
My favorite book!!!!! Every time I run out of books I pick up this one. Eugenia Price was the queen of Georgia historical novels....and I have read all of her books. When she passed away I called every one I know who'd read and treasured her books. And Savannah is a great place to visit.
Johanna
Eugenia Price's St. Simon's Trilogy, The George and Florida trilogies and the Savannah Quartet are based on the Civil War ear of these areas. Savannah may be her signature novel. All wonderfully easy reads while learning a bit of history thru very interesting characters.
Graceann
Dec 01, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
The first Eugenia Price novel I ever read, and I just kept going - this is the story of Yankee Mark Browning moving to Savannah, and is the first book in Genie's "Savannah Quartet." He meets Savannahians who actually existed in the antebellum era, and the story is a good one.
Kelli
This is the first in the fabulous Savannah Quartet by this now-deceased historical fiction writer. It's an old series, but one I would love to read again. I lent all 4 of my books and have never recovered them. One day will buy this quartet again and hoard it forever!
Tammy Pohle
I am only rating this one book. But I have read all of her fiction books and love them. I love how her stories take real people and tell you there lives. I loved going to Savannah and seeing where these characters actually lived. She is a great southern author.
Karen
I read this many years ago, so I don't remember the details. What I do remember is that I loved the Savannah quartet of books. It is historical fiction taking place during the time of the Civil War. The books were captivatiing and I highly recommend.
Lisa
I am not a big romance novel reader, but I love historical fiction. This one was not too much of a romance novel. A good story with a lot of history and I love the city of Savannah and there are great descriptions of the city in it's early days.
Karen
Jul 16, 2013 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I wasn't as crazy about this first book in the Savannah quartet as I was about the St. Simons trilogy. It was good, just not as good. The book left a lot unresolved and the next book picks up 16 years later. I'll just have to see how it goes.
  • Charleston
  • The Marquis' Secret
  • The Establishment (Lavette Family, #3)
  • The Proud Breed
  • Ellis Island
  • Those Who Love
  • Phoebe Deane (Miranda Trilogy #2)
  • The Heather Hills of Stonewycke (Stonewycke Trilogy #1)
  • California Gold
  • Sword of Truth
  • A Talent for Trouble (Ladies of Distinction, #3)
  • Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2)
  • The Outer Banks House
  • Tapestry
Price was born into a middle class family in Charleston, West Virginia. Her father, Walter Price, was a dentist. At the age of ten Eugenia decided that she wanted to be a writer, an ambition encouraged by her mother Anna. She submitted a poem to her school's literary magazine. In 1932 she graduated from high school, declared herself an atheist and decided to pursue a career in dentistry instead of...more
More about Eugenia Price...
Lighthouse (St. Simons Trilogy, #1) The Beloved Invader (St. Simons Trilogy, #3) New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy, #2) To See Your Face Again (Savannah Quartet, #2) Stranger in Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #4)