Start by marking “Bright Captivity (Georgia Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bright Captivity (Georgia Trilogy, #1)

Bright Captivity (Georgia Trilogy #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  582 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Eugenia Price has long shared with her millions of devoted readers her fascination with St. Simons Island and the families who built their lives in that beautiful corner of Georgia. Bright Captivity opens in the last days of the War of 1812, when the British invade the southern United States, and a young officer of the British Royal Marines takes one very special prisoner.
Published July 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published April 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Bright Captivity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Captivity

Penny
This book is a historical novel based on real people and real events. That is what grabbed my attention at first. The first book may be a bit slow in spots, but you must read the other two books in the trilogy to enjoy the whole story of this awesome family. I flew through the next two books because they were powerfully written and page turners. This family and their values will stay with you for a very long time when you are done reading their story.
Lois
I sincerely enjoy historical fiction, and no one writes it better than Eugenia Price. Her books are thoroughly researched through geneology, local historical records, family cemetery plots and experts. Bright Captivity is the first in the Georgia Trilogy. The settings of all her stories take place in the south, where she personally resided until her death. Ms. Price is a master at developing character and as a wordsmith.

This book begins toward the end of the War of 1812. The basic plot is that
Graceann
Dec 01, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
This is the first volume of the Eugenia Prices's Georgia Trilogy, centering on a young woman who fell in love with a British soldier when he came to St. Simons Island to capture contraband property during the War of 1812. Based on a true story, it is inspiring and beautifully written.
L
It was ok, my mother asked me to read these books because she had taken a liking to them. Right off I knew it wouldn't be a trashy romance because my mother doesn't read anything but stories with a strong, historically accurate, typically southern plot. That is what this book was.
Paula
this was a good read. Became very interesting when i found out at the end it was base on a real family on St. Simons' Island GA. Went out and bought the other books. Interesting story. Author has written many different stories about the families on that island.
Susan
I thought this was just OK. I ended up skimming a bunch of pages. I found the main female character, Anne, rather annoying. That's probably just my 21st sensibilities, though. It's pretty cool that the book is based on real people.
Claudia
I had never read anything by Eugenia Price. My sister has read all of her books and recommended this author. It was so wonderful that we ended up reading this book at the exact same time, even though we are separated by over 2,000 miles.
Rebecca Ragle
my favorite book of all time during high school (until i discovered christian authors like francine rivers and staci & john eldredge). great book about life in the south during the the late 1800 and early 1900s. :)
Ellen
This is a wonderful member of Eugenia Price's books about the coastal area of Georgia and it's development in the 1800's. I've read the whole series at the point and it is all wonderful.
Wendy
LOVE Eugenia Price!!! I love her books about the deep south, especially St. Simons Island, as I lived there for so many years!! Highly recommended historical fiction!
Nancy
Nice introduction to life in the barrier islands around the War of 1812 - since we were visiting Cumberland Is I wanted to read this trilogy.
Melissa Summerford
If you like romances (not the trashy kind), then this is a great book to read. You will enjoy the all three books.
Caitie
As a rule, the first Eugenia Price novel you read is usually your favorite.
Bobvic
Good, clean, historically accurate, well-written
Sue
The year is 1815 and Anne Couper is excited about her upcoming 18th birthday, convinced that something really good is going to happen. The location is St. Simon's Island, Georgia. She and her mother, brother, and best friend Anna Matilda attend a house party at another plantation on the island. The first night of the party, a group of Royal Marines capture the house and everyone in it in order to set up their base of operations. Among the leaders of the regiment is Lt. John Fraser. Not only doe ...more
Cheryl
I read Gone With the Wind right before this book which might have made this one pale in comparison. I enjoyed it, but somehow I couldn't lose myself in this story and get inside the characters. I was always aware that there was an author behind this generating the conversations and events, which is odd since this was based on real people and an actual timeline of events. I see a lot of potential in this story if it had just been better written. It bothered me how many times the title of the book ...more
Mindy
Do not read this book during any disaster (like your kitchen flooding twice). I did finally (about 250 pages in) get attatched to the characters, but it was so slow and I had so many other things demanding my time it was easy to put down. I typically really enjoy historical fiction (and this definately wasn't horrible)...it just couldn't keep my interest. I had to renew this at the library twice to get it read.
Patsy Chastang
Great book enjoys every minute of it. One of my favorite books, read the review from above. The story line and plot was good. This took place during the slave days in south Georgia, good character description, great history, and has a good plot. If you like history, romance and a good story you must read this book. The author has since deceased but her great books are still alive.
Mell
I read this in high school and recall the book as dull. The idea of war and enemy soldiers sounded more interesting in the book catalog. I did not read the rest of the series.
Cindy
This was historically quite interesting but I found the plot a bit slow. I don't think I will follow through with this series.
Geri Sizemore browder
Aug 25, 2013 Geri Sizemore browder is currently reading it
Shelves: incomplete
Eh...just so so. A bit slow for my taste. I may set the back on reserve to try again later.
Anita Carty
This series makes you fall in love with history!
Sandy Menke
A rather flowery tale, but good.
Aug 11, 2010 Laura marked it as to-read
Recommended by my mother-in-law.
Rosemary
A real page turner.
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • From Fields of Gold
  • Homeland (Crown Family Saga, #1)
  • Savannah Purchase
  • Virtually His (Virtually, #1)
  • Monday's Child (A Day to Remember #1)
  • Everything to Gain
  • Storyville
  • The Tarnished Lady (Viking I, #3)
  • Phi Beta Bimbo
  • Confessions (Men of Whiskey River #1)
  • Pernikahan Pura-Pura (A Mediterranean Marriage #5)
  • The Great Alone
  • Fierce Eden
  • No Way to Begin
  • The Gamble
  • Unveiled (Ashton/Rosemoor, #2)
  • Look Away, Beulah Land
  • Abraham's Well: A Novel
Price was born into a middle class family in Charleston, West Virginia. Her father, Walter Price, was a dentist. At the age of ten Eugenia decided that she wanted to be a writer, an ambition encouraged by her mother Anna. She submitted a poem to her school's literary magazine. In 1932 she graduated from high school, declared herself an atheist and decided to pursue a career in dentistry instead of ...more
More about Eugenia Price...
Savannah (Savannah Quartet, #1) Lighthouse (St. Simons Trilogy, #1) The Beloved Invader (St. Simons Trilogy, #3) To See Your Face Again (Savannah Quartet, #2) New Moon Rising (St. Simons Trilogy, #2)