Start by marking “An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)” as Want to Read:
An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)

An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding #9)

Sir John Fielding has trailed a packet of controversial letters from London to the colony of Massachusetts. But when the suspect in the theft is found dead, Sir John turns his eye on the possible involvement of Benjamin Franklin.
Published October 7th 2003 by Berkley (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about An Experiment In Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Experiment In Treason

Sandy Bell
Apr 11, 2017 Sandy Bell rated it really liked it
I love this series. Alexander never lets me down. A fun romp in 1770s London with murder, stolen letters, giant slave hunter, and all the while visiting with Benjamin Franklin. What else do you need?
Sandy Shin
Jun 19, 2017 Sandy Shin rated it really liked it
Interesting to read the British point of view of the American Colonies complaints, but the human interactions seem very bland and one dimensional. Not as good as the previous books
Spuddie
Oct 02, 2007 Spuddie rated it it was amazing
#9 Sir John Fielding mystery in which Jeremy and Sir John become involved in a plot involving Benjamin Franklin and the American colonies. Someone has stolen a packet of letters from the home of a prominent member of Parliament, believed to be damning to certain British officials with regard to the rights of the Colonials. A footman was brutally coshed on the head and killed during the burglary, therefore it’s a murder case as well. Mr. Franklin is high on the suspect list as having hired certai ...more
LJ
AN EXPERIMENT IN TREASON – G+
Bruce Alexander – 9th in series
Sir John Fielding, a blind, 18th-century London judge, and his orphan accomplice, Jeremy, get mixed up in pre-Revolutionary War intrigue when a packet of incendiary letters is stolen from the London residence of a prominent official, and turns up in the colony of Massachusetts. Why are the contents so controversial? Why has a suspect in the theft turned up dead? And what should Sir John do about his feeling that Benjamin Franklin himsel
Lynn
May 04, 2012 Lynn rated it liked it
I'm very fond of this series, but this was not the best Sir John Fielding in the set. As ever, the series characters are well drawn and develop nicely, but there are several plot elements left hanging.

What's up, for example, with the experiment that opens the novel? It seems there should have been some follow up on that. And I'm not sure about the rapid development of the relationship between Jeremy and Clarissa, unless it's about to encounter some rough waters. And how the bad guy is dispatche
Beth
Feb 28, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing
The third book I have read in the Sir John Fielding Mystery, An Experiment in Treason includes several real life characters, including Benjamin Franklin, in a story of murder, torture and espionage. Jeremy Proctor, the young protégé of blind magistrate Sir John Fielding, narrates this story of stolen letters, state secrets, and odd Americans. The streets team with nefarious but engaging characters and Jeremy must help Sir John discover who is torturing and murdering those involved in the theft, ...more
Sally
Jun 23, 2013 Sally rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This one was about Ben Franklin, and the American revolution. It depended heavily on the others, and would have been hard to "get" without having read the previous ones. They are slow, and not so interesting as the earlier ones, perhaps because there is little new in them. I do enjoy the history, but there is not much of it.
Meggie
Jun 05, 2014 Meggie rated it really liked it
The main storyline in this book was a bit slow and based on politics, missing letters, etc. So more or less a bit boring, but still full of humor and great dialogues. I liked this book because on Jeremy's active role. He is more and more a well developed character, and he got engaged to be engaged. That part was truly funny for me.
Dawn
Mar 07, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the portrayal of Ben Franklin as more of a dissolute rather than the paragon, father of America.
A view of the American war for independence from the British side was interesting and it was about time Jeremy and Clarissa got together.
Janice
Dec 04, 2010 Janice rated it really liked it
So, did I know before that Benjamin Franklin was in England at the time of the Boston Tea Party? Not sure I knew that! Fascinating book, intriguing plot! I will be sorry to see this series end--only two more books to go.
Rhonda
Nov 10, 2008 Rhonda rated it really liked it
another good one - and jeremy finally figures out what we've known for some time!! woo hoo! i'm saddened, however, that there are only 2 more in this series and the author is deceased. another great series will soon come to an end. bummer dude.
Roxane
Jul 21, 2010 Roxane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fictionalized account of the 'Affair of the Hutchinson Letters' – very interesting.
Barbara
Sep 29, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Love the atmosphere of that period in England's history. Plot moves things along, and characters are interesting and developing well.
Joe
Jul 29, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
See my review of the initial novel in the series, Blind Justice.
S Dizzy
Aug 19, 2013 S Dizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice that Mr. Alexander included a little bit of history in this story. Also, I'm happy that Jeremy and Clarissa finally get engaged.
Tonya
Dec 31, 2014 Tonya rated it it was amazing
Love this series
Donna
Jun 26, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it
It was completely coincidence that I grabbed this book to read while we were in Boston. What an appropriate choice it ended up being! Another great one in the series.
Colleen
Jul 14, 2010 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
a fun series and this was no exception.
As an American, I was a little chary of Franklin's honor, though I know he was no saint
Audrey
Oct 27, 2008 Audrey rated it liked it
Rather hard on Benjamin Franklin and the Adams brothers....
Dorothy
Aug 03, 2008 Dorothy rated it liked it
The adventures of Sir John Fielding and his assistant Jeremy continue in this the ninth book in this highly entertaining series set in 18th century England.
Serena
May 02, 2013 Serena rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Charlene
May 30, 2013 Charlene rated it really liked it
Great background in the history of England and the colonies. Benjamin Franklin makes quite an appearance. I will definitely read other books in this series.
Lyn
Jul 17, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it
History abounds! Mr., I mean Dr. Franklin--what were you thinking? :) Series is almost over...I'm going to miss everyone on Grub Street!!!!!
Laura Meraglia
Laura Meraglia rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Cheryl Loman
Cheryl Loman rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
William Paley
William Paley rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
May 30, 2017
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2007
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2007
  • Good Morning, Irene (Irene Adler, #2)
  • The Black Hand (Barker & Llewelyn, #5)
  • The Mask of Night (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #3)
  • Stiff News (Inspector Sloan #17)
  • Death in the Dark Walk (John Rawlings, #1)
  • The Gap in the Curtain (Sir Edward Leithen #4)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Old Bank House
  • When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2)
Pseudonym of American journalist and author Bruce Cook.

Bruce Alexander Cook (1932–2003) was an American journalist and author who wrote under the pseudonym Bruce Alexander, creating historical novels about a blind 18th century Englishman and also a 20th century Mexican-American detective.
More about Bruce Alexander...

Sir John Fielding (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)
  • Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)
  • Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)
  • The Color of Death (Sir John Fielding, #7)
  • Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)