Start by marking “An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)” as Want to Read:
An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)

An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding #9)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Sir John Fielding has trailed a packet of controversial letters from London to the colony of Massachusetts. But when the suspect in the theft is found dead, Sir John turns his eye on the possible involvement of Benjamin Franklin.
Published October 7th 2003 by Berkley (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about An Experiment In Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Experiment In Treason

Spuddie
#9 Sir John Fielding mystery in which Jeremy and Sir John become involved in a plot involving Benjamin Franklin and the American colonies. Someone has stolen a packet of letters from the home of a prominent member of Parliament, believed to be damning to certain British officials with regard to the rights of the Colonials. A footman was brutally coshed on the head and killed during the burglary, therefore it’s a murder case as well. Mr. Franklin is high on the suspect list as having hired certai ...more
Meggie
The main storyline in this book was a bit slow and based on politics, missing letters, etc. So more or less a bit boring, but still full of humor and great dialogues. I liked this book because on Jeremy's active role. He is more and more a well developed character, and he got engaged to be engaged. That part was truly funny for me.
Lynn
I'm very fond of this series, but this was not the best Sir John Fielding in the set. As ever, the series characters are well drawn and develop nicely, but there are several plot elements left hanging.

What's up, for example, with the experiment that opens the novel? It seems there should have been some follow up on that. And I'm not sure about the rapid development of the relationship between Jeremy and Clarissa, unless it's about to encounter some rough waters. And how the bad guy is dispatche
LJ
AN EXPERIMENT IN TREASON – G+
Bruce Alexander – 9th in series
Sir John Fielding, a blind, 18th-century London judge, and his orphan accomplice, Jeremy, get mixed up in pre-Revolutionary War intrigue when a packet of incendiary letters is stolen from the London residence of a prominent official, and turns up in the colony of Massachusetts. Why are the contents so controversial? Why has a suspect in the theft turned up dead? And what should Sir John do about his feeling that Benjamin Franklin himsel
Tonya
Love this series
Sally
This one was about Ben Franklin, and the American revolution. It depended heavily on the others, and would have been hard to "get" without having read the previous ones. They are slow, and not so interesting as the earlier ones, perhaps because there is little new in them. I do enjoy the history, but there is not much of it.
Dawn
I like the portrayal of Ben Franklin as more of a dissolute rather than the paragon, father of America.
A view of the American war for independence from the British side was interesting and it was about time Jeremy and Clarissa got together.
Rhonda
another good one - and jeremy finally figures out what we've known for some time!! woo hoo! i'm saddened, however, that there are only 2 more in this series and the author is deceased. another great series will soon come to an end. bummer dude.
Janice
So, did I know before that Benjamin Franklin was in England at the time of the Boston Tea Party? Not sure I knew that! Fascinating book, intriguing plot! I will be sorry to see this series end--only two more books to go.
Donna
It was completely coincidence that I grabbed this book to read while we were in Boston. What an appropriate choice it ended up being! Another great one in the series.
Dorothy
The adventures of Sir John Fielding and his assistant Jeremy continue in this the ninth book in this highly entertaining series set in 18th century England.
Charlene
Great background in the history of England and the colonies. Benjamin Franklin makes quite an appearance. I will definitely read other books in this series.
S Dizzy
Nice that Mr. Alexander included a little bit of history in this story. Also, I'm happy that Jeremy and Clarissa finally get engaged.
Barbara
Love the atmosphere of that period in England's history. Plot moves things along, and characters are interesting and developing well.
Colleen
a fun series and this was no exception.
As an American, I was a little chary of Franklin's honor, though I know he was no saint
Roxane
A fictionalized account of the 'Affair of the Hutchinson Letters' – very interesting.
Joe
See my review of the initial novel in the series, Blind Justice.
Audrey
Rather hard on Benjamin Franklin and the Adams brothers....
LDuchess
Sir John Fielding & Jeremy (& Ben Franklin)
Romina
Romina marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Nakoma
Nakoma marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Georgia Lengyel
Georgia Lengyel marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
  • The Black Hand (Barker & Llewelyn, #5)
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • A Broken Vessel (Julian Kestrel Mysteries, #2)
  • The Berkeley Square Affair (Charles & Mélanie Fraser, #7)
  • When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr #2)
  • Beneath a Silent Moon (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #2)
  • The Headmistress
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • This Was Tomorrow (Williamsburg, #6)
  • Die Upon a Kiss (Benjamin January, #5)
Pseudonym of American journalist and author Bruce Cook.

Bruce Alexander Cook (1932–2003) was an American journalist and author who wrote under the pseudonym Bruce Alexander, creating historical novels about a blind 18th century Englishman and also a 20th century Mexican-American detective.
More about Bruce Alexander...

Sir John Fielding (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)
  • Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)
  • Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)
  • The Color of Death (Sir John Fielding, #7)
  • Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)
Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1) Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2) Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4) Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3) Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)