Sweet Creek Holler

Sweet Creek Holler

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Spanning six years in Ginny Shortt's life, this is a remarkable novel about growing up in a small mining town in Appalachia. A "novel of aspiring proportions...This is a haunting story, well written." --Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books

A "triumph." --The New York Times Book Review
Published September 1st 1992 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Creek Holler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Creek Holler

Imarsh Itouch
this was a nice book i read when i was younger and immediatly rated as my favorite book. i don't know if i have read better books since but i still rate this one as my favorite. it had a noce stroy line easy to follow and it had deepness it wasn't happyily ever after.
Manda
Shanna
Sweet Creek Holler will affect your heart and sense of humor in the best possible ways. I know how that sounds, and I like messed up and violent books typically. However, when I read this as a pre-teen (I need to read it again) it was so authentic and it's so true to the area I grew up/live in it amazed me. I love Ruth White so I will end this before it is a novel of it's own. She is super talented and I am going to brag that I met her!
Emma
Sweet Creek Holler is a book I've read many times when I was about twelve, it's been a few years since, but I still think about it regularly. One of the best books of my youth.
Janice Stacy-wampler
This is a great book, My son & I have read several of Ms. White's books love them all
Ruth White
Sep 01, 2014 Ruth White marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sindhuja Selvam
Sindhuja Selvam marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Polyta
Polyta added it
Jul 08, 2014
Brittany Cuenin
Brittany Cuenin marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Haleigh Skinner
Haleigh Skinner marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Kim R
Kim R added it
Mar 13, 2014
Sara
Sara added it
Mar 10, 2014
Eccentrika
Eccentrika marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I was born in the Appalachian hills of Virginia, which is the setting for Belle Prater's Boy and The Search for Belle Prater. I lived there until I graduated from high school and went away to college. Though I left the hills, they never left me. My memories of those years are quite vivid. I have always referred to that time as both traumatic and wonderful. I get most of my ideas for my stories fro...more
More about Ruth White...
Belle Prater's Boy Way Down Deep Memories of Summer Little Audrey You'll Like It Here (Everybody Does)