Start by marking “Sweet Creek Holler” as Want to Read:
Sweet Creek Holler

Sweet Creek Holler

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  109 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Spanning six years in Ginny Shortt's life, this is a remarkable novel about growing up in a small mining town in Appalachia. A "novel of aspiring proportions...This is a haunting story, well written." --Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books

A "triumph." --The New York Times Book Review
Published September 1st 1992 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Creek Holler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Creek Holler

Imarsh Itouch
Jun 25, 2015 Imarsh Itouch rated it it was amazing
This was a nice book I read when I was younger and immediately rated as my favorite book. I don't know if I have read any better books since but I still rate this one as my favorite. It has a nice story line, easy to follow, and it had deepness to it. It wasn't happy ever after.
Manda
Mar 21, 2013 Manda rated it it was amazing
Linda Stuckey
May 29, 2016 Linda Stuckey rated it really liked it
quote from book..."A body needs friends, I thought, to make her feel like a body worth noticing." {spoken by Ginny, a character in the story.}
Jessica Obrien
LOVED this book. First read it in middle school. Shared it with my mother.
Shanna
Aug 29, 2011 Shanna rated it it was amazing
Sweet Creek Holler will affect your heart and sense of humor in the best possible ways. I know how that sounds, and I like messed up and violent books typically. However, when I read this as a pre-teen (I need to read it again) it was so authentic and it's so true to the area I grew up/live in it amazed me. I love Ruth White so I will end this before it is a novel of it's own. She is super talented and I am going to brag that I met her!
Emma
Mar 01, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing
Sweet Creek Holler is a book I've read many times when I was about twelve, it's been a few years since, but I still think about it regularly. One of the best books of my youth.
Janice Stacy-wampler
This is a great book, My son & I have read several of Ms. White's books love them all
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Jessica Beckstrand
Jessica Beckstrand rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Teresa
Teresa added it
Apr 24, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Jreyn510
Jreyn510 rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Susie
Susie rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Makayla
Makayla marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Erika
Erika added it
Jan 07, 2016
Noël
Noël rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Claydel Jacquilane Patron
Claydel Jacquilane Patron rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Brittney
Brittney rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I was born in the Appalachian hills of Virginia, which is the setting for Belle Prater's Boy and The Search for Belle Prater. I lived there until I graduated from high school and went away to college. Though I left the hills, they never left me. My memories of those years are quite vivid. I have always referred to that time as both traumatic and wonderful. I get most of my ideas for my stories fro ...more
More about Ruth White...