The Spirit of Democracy: The Struggle to Build Free Societies Throughout the World

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Meticulous . . . [Diamond] gleaned that . . . the fate of democracy was not driven by events but by the passion of individual people."—The New York Times Book Review

In 1974, nearly three-quarters of all countries were dictatorships; today, more than half are democracies. Yet recent efforts to promote democracy have stumbled, and many democratic governments are faltering.

I...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit of Democracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit of Democracy

Guilherme Casarões
A must-read for anyone interested in democracies and democratization across the globe. Long but enjoyable reading; provides a lot of useful and detailed country-specific information on the building of democracy and its setbacks.
Christopher
As the author of this book notes, democracy has seen it's greatest expansion within the last few decades. Even today, with the current crises in the Middle East, democracy has not lost its luster to millions of people yearning for freedom. In 2008, Larry Diamond wrote this book about how democracies are formed, usually from the ground up, and the future prospects of various places on the map either becoming full democracies or improving the democracies they already have. And though some of his a...more
Doron
Larry Diamond’s ‘The Spirit of Democracy’ provides a comprehensive overview of the main elements and key drivers of democracy, and its progress in the world historically. Diamond writes from a perspective of cautious optimism about the chances of democracy spreading and deepening across the globe, in spite of the contemporary setbacks in Iraq and Afghanistan and renewed resistance from authoritarian regimes in recent years. The book is well researched, citing numerous examples of democratic prog...more
John
This is one of the most profound, insightful and intelligent political books I have ever read. I would put it up there with de Tocqueville's Democracy in America. In fact, you might say it takes many of the Frenchman's 19th Century insights and applies them to the rest of the world. With the exception of a few boring statistics, Larry keeps the flow moving, writing in a style that leaves you pondering each sentence. So it's a slow read, but a very worthwhile experience. Disclosures first. I atte...more
Steven Taylor
While somewhat basic in its overall approach, I found this to be a solid book that provides a useful, timely and comprehensive overview of the current state of democratic governance on a global scale.

It is written in way that makes it useful for both classroom purposes as well as for the general reader. If used in class I would recommend that it be used in conjunction with a more theory-based text.
Maryjane
I really like Larry Diamond's synthesis of the issues, and this book intrigued me because of my recent work in Cambodia and the struggles it has to be a real democracy. I have had a bit more trouble getting into it -- it is more of a thesis than a story -- but I will let you know what I learn (if I don't have to return it to the library first!)
Timothy Cooper
A comprehensive, vivid argument on behalf of the cause of world democracy. It points the way to getting there, triumphant as that may sound. A tour de force of reason. Diamond's one of the champions of constructive geopolitical thought.
Ricardo R.cepeda
An excellent book!! It is must-read for those interested in democratic institutions. Prof. Diamond lays out in a comprehensible way the nuts and bolts of democracy.
Veronica
This book had a very American-centric viewpoint and an immature writing style, with more phrases and ideas from other sources than from the author himself.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Samuel Hmung
Samuel Hmung marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Jesal Shah
Jesal Shah marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Adil Majid
Adil Majid marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Janusz
Janusz marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jamila
Jamila marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Raul Enciso
Raul Enciso marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Patrícia Rossetto
Patrícia Rossetto marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Joe Crook
Joe Crook marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Jake Pfeifer
Jake Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Ashok
Ashok marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Squandered Victory: The American Occupation and the Bungled Effort to Bring Democracy to Iraq Developing Democracy: Toward Consolidation Liberation Technology: Social Media and the Struggle for Democracy Democracy in Developing Countries: Latin America Islam and Democracy in the Middle East