Doonesbury's Greatest Hits

Doonesbury's Greatest Hits

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,056 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A Mid-Seventies Revue.
Published October 1st 1978 by Holt Rinehart and Winston (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Doonesbury's Greatest Hits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doonesbury's Greatest Hits

Manny
Back when Doonesbury was absolutely at its peak. I can read this book any number of times. The writing is razor sharp.

______________________________________________

Cameron and Clegg

The bizarre pictures of Britain's new power couple that have been plastered all over the media the last day reminded me of this classic Doonesbury exchange.

JOURNALIST: Senator, how long does it take to betray everything you ever stood for?

POLITICIAN: Oh, at least 36 hours. The paperwork's incredible!
Kaethe
Here's an interesting question: should I knock off one star from this early collection, in order to distinguish how much better he gets, or do I keep it at five, because I loved it so much at the time (and still do)?
David Ward
Doonesbury's Greatest Hits by G.B. Trudeau (Holt Rinehart & Winston 1978)(741.9573). This is Trudeau's mid-seventies collection of Doonesbury panels. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1979.
marcus miller
Fun - and brought back memories of the 70's.
Robert
During my teens and early 20s, I thought Doonesbury was the greatest thing ever. It was a smart person's comic strip and I read it religiously. My sister is the one who turned me onto the strip, although I was aware of it prior to these books. Doonesbury was hip!

Trudeau became full of himself and turned Walden Puddle into a political mess. I lost touch with the strip. This book represents the heyday of the gang.
Geoff
A wonderfully entertaining look at the 70s, with the perfect mix of absurd and highly insightful humor. This is Doonesbury when it was at its peak. The strips are best read together, as in this book, so you can follow the character development and appreciate the humor fully.
Dave Jones
Funny look at the 1970s. Great political cartoons when Trudeau was at his artistic peak. This got passed around a lot (and fought over) when I lived in the ISU dorms (1981-82).
Tim Pixley
I remember purchasing this book back in the 70s and still have it. That's when Doonesbury was at its best regarding characters and plotlines.
Mckinley
Another popular cartoon that a read some of but didn't really get into.
Douglas Wilson
Very funny. Also read in December of 1980.
Benn
Benn marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Jo
Jo added it
Sep 02, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
  • Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things (A Bloom County Book)
  • The Chickens are Restless
  • The World of Chas Addams
  • Childhood Is Hell
  • Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head & Other Drawings
  • Always Postpone Meetings with Time-Wasting Morons
  • Chocolate: The Consuming Passion
Garretson Beekman "Garry" Trudeau is an American cartoonist, best known for the Doonesbury comic strip. In 1970, Trudeau's creation of Doonesbury was syndicated by the newly formed Universal Press Syndicate. Today Doonesbury is syndicated to almost 1,400 newspapers worldwide and is accessible online in association with Slate Magazine at doonesbury.com. In 1975, he became the first comic strip arti...more
More about G.B. Trudeau...
The Doonesbury Chronicles Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years 40: A Doonesbury Retrospective Recycled Doonesbury The People's Doonesbury: Notes from Underfoot, 1978-1980