Start by marking “Doonesbury's Greatest Hits” as Want to Read:
Doonesbury's Greatest Hits

Doonesbury's Greatest Hits

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,375 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A Mid-Seventies Revue.
Published October 1st 1978 by Holt, Rinehart and Winston (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Doonesbury's Greatest Hits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doonesbury's Greatest Hits

Manny
Back when Doonesbury was absolutely at its peak. I can read this book any number of times. The writing is razor sharp.

______________________________________________

Cameron and Clegg

The bizarre pictures of Britain's new power couple that have been plastered all over the media the last day reminded me of this classic Doonesbury exchange.

JOURNALIST: Senator, how long does it take to betray everything you ever stood for?

POLITICIAN: Oh, at least 36 hours. The paperwork's incredible!
Rena Sherwood
Mar 29, 2016 Rena Sherwood rated it really liked it
Even though I was born in 1969, I find it difficult to learn about American history in the 1970s because it was so damn complicated. Also screwing up my learning are people who lived through the decade and each have wildly different memories of the exact same events. In these instances when teachers clash, it's time to turn to the comic strips of the 1970s to give you a real look at what was going on. Doonesbury has been a much better American history teacher for me than any human teacher or pro ...more
Kaethe
Aug 05, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, beloved
Here's an interesting question: should I knock off one star from this early collection, in order to distinguish how much better he gets, or do I keep it at five, because I loved it so much at the time (and still do)?
Doug
Jul 25, 2015 Doug rated it it was ok
I may not always agree with the political views expressed, but Doonesbury pretty much always provides a chuckle. The anthologies are not my favorites as they tend to skip the 'lesser' strips - but for me the older collections of the day-to-days strips are priceless in their day to day progress of both the Doonesbury gang and America in general.
David
Doonesbury's Greatest Hits by G.B. Trudeau (Holt Rinehart & Winston 1978)(741.9573). This is Trudeau's mid-seventies collection of Doonesbury panels. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1979.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 Ben Schaffer rated it really liked it
False
marcus miller
Mar 22, 2014 marcus miller rated it really liked it
Fun - and brought back memories of the 70's.
Robert
Feb 06, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing
During my teens and early 20s, I thought Doonesbury was the greatest thing ever. It was a smart person's comic strip and I read it religiously. My sister is the one who turned me onto the strip, although I was aware of it prior to these books. Doonesbury was hip!

Trudeau became full of himself and turned Walden Puddle into a political mess. I lost touch with the strip. This book represents the heyday of the gang.
Geoff
Apr 14, 2013 Geoff rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully entertaining look at the 70s, with the perfect mix of absurd and highly insightful humor. This is Doonesbury when it was at its peak. The strips are best read together, as in this book, so you can follow the character development and appreciate the humor fully.
Dave Jones
Jan 12, 2016 Dave Jones rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, graphic-novel
Funny look at the 1970s. Great political cartoons when Trudeau was at his artistic peak. This got passed around a lot (and fought over) when I lived in the ISU dorms (1981-82).
Tim Pixley
Dec 08, 2011 Tim Pixley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cartooning
I remember purchasing this book back in the 70s and still have it. That's when Doonesbury was at its best regarding characters and plotlines.
Mckinley
Mar 16, 2011 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-graphic
Another popular cartoon that a read some of but didn't really get into.
Douglas Wilson
Jun 02, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Very funny. Also read in December of 1980.
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Sharon Hale
Sharon Hale rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Stirling Westrup
Stirling Westrup rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Mark Lemon
Mark Lemon rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Warren Ledecky
Warren Ledecky rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Don Berg
Don Berg rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Michael DeLong
Michael DeLong marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Anna Banks
Anna Banks rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Sg
Sg rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
zac darvish
zac darvish rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
House
House marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Jobabean
Jobabean rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
  • Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things (A Bloom County Book)
  • The Chickens are Restless
  • Pogo
  • Explainers: The Complete Village Voice Strips, 1956-1966
  • A Right to Be Hostile: The Boondocks Treasury
  • Always Postpone Meetings with Time-Wasting Morons
  • Thrashed (Zits Sketchbook, #9)
Garretson Beekman "Garry" Trudeau is an American cartoonist, best known for the Doonesbury comic strip. In 1970, Trudeau's creation of Doonesbury was syndicated by the newly formed Universal Press Syndicate. Today Doonesbury is syndicated to almost 1,400 newspapers worldwide and is accessible online in association with Slate Magazine at doonesbury.com. In 1975, he became the first comic strip arti ...more
More about G.B. Trudeau...