Start by marking “Lulu” as Want to Read:
Lulu

Lulu

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  186 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Lulu is a walking, talking object of sexual desire. Each of the first four acts of the play sees her married to a different man, each of whom dies at the end. In the fifth act, Lulu has become a prostitute in late-Victorian London where she encounters Jack the Ripper, who she deliberately leads on. This is Nicholas Wright’s new version of Wedekind’s early 20th century erot ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Nick Hern Books (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about Lulu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lulu

Chris Schaeffer
A troubling and maddening play. Is it violently misogynistic or bitterly feminist? Well, I've had a peek at Wedekind's diaries, so I guess I cheated a little. Anyway, I read this in a Starbucks, I think, on someone's Kindle I borrowed, like a real smarmy little prick. I like Erdgeist the play less than 'Pandora's Box' the Pabst film, but more than 'Lulu' the Berg opera.
Josh Ang
Feb 26, 2012 Josh Ang rated it liked it
This play's conception and history is perhaps as muddled as the titular character. This adaptation by Nicholas Wright (from a translation by Wes Williams) combines Wedekind's "Lulu" plays, which took on different titles, "Pandora's Box" and Earth Spirit", at various points in Wederkind's checkered career.

Risque even by today's standards, Lulu is equal parts nymphomaniac and a virginal innocent who impetuously manipulates the men who desire her as well as fall under their tyranny with shocking pl
Sandra
Ah, Wedekind's best known play: Lulu. Or should I say, his best known two plays, seeing as this is a double tragedy? Lulu is a fin die siècle piece with a very strong femme fatale main character. During the show Lulu has several lovers/husbands, often gets them where she wants them, without ever fully getting control over them. Lulu is strong, but not invincible, and is eventually killed my women-killer Jack The Ripper. In a.. not so nice way. Auwch.

I thought the play was witty and insightful, a
Lisa Gallagher
I first read this English translation of the classic German play about 13-14 years ago. Lulu is an archetype: she's the representative of negative female energy. She uses men, she commits adultery, she is coy and secretive and ultimately she is destroyed because she is seen as such an evil in our society. The unrepentant woman. This was the first time I read the play with a sympathetic eye toward Lulu who knows only the flirtations, infidelities, manipulations, murder and also victimization that ...more
João Cruz
Mar 23, 2016 João Cruz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-em-2016
Agora já posso (re)ver o filme de Pabst "A caixa de Pandora" com outros olhos. E também já percebi por que motivo o realizador insistiu tanto na atriz Louise Brooks para o papel de Lulu (em detrimento de Marlene Dietrich). Louise Brooks está fenomenaaaaallll!!
Amani
Mar 17, 2009 Amani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love and hate this play because the Lulu archetype both intrigues and disgusts me, as she does many women. Secretly, I think every woman longs to be someone's muse. The notion that a woman can be so devastatingly provocative and inspiring, yet ultimately helpless and lost is a contradiction that still confounds me. The way Wedekind develops Lulu through her interplay with other characters is very telling of his, and many others', take on the reality of what it truly means to be a muse--it's pr ...more
alessandra falca
Storia di Lulu, tragedia in due atti di Wedekind, scritta agli inizi del secolo. Lulu, archetipo della Donna Fatale, appare come in una tragedia greca. Anche se, il primo riferimento per me che leggo, è R.W. Fassbinder. Forse per la Germania, forse per la morbosità. Il teatro letto è sempre comunque non compiuto. A questo punto gradirei vedere un bell'allestimento scenico.
Lotta
Jun 03, 2011 Lotta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
SIVEELLINEN MAAILMANJÄRJESTYS.
Kelly
Kelly added it
Aug 20, 2016
Stefan
Stefan rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Ona
Ona rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2016
Amalia Gavea
Amalia Gavea rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Rolf Pfaff
Rolf Pfaff rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Luisa
Luisa is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2016
Donald Furness
Donald Furness marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Timothy W
Timothy W rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
KateWrighter
KateWrighter marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Alessa Ouzer
Alessa Ouzer marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Madelaine
Madelaine marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Francesca Tripiedi
Francesca Tripiedi marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Fakeophelia
Fakeophelia rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Maja
Maja added it
Jul 02, 2016
Derbenutzer
Derbenutzer rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Bianca Cataldi
Bianca Cataldi marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Dolphinnoise
Dolphinnoise marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Clericusvagans
Clericusvagans marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Yas
Yas added it
May 29, 2016
Matthias
Matthias rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
  • Minna von Barnhelm
  • Die Judenbuche
  • Romulus der Große
  • Der arme Spielmann
Benjamin Franklin Wedekind, usually known as Frank Wedekind, was a German playwright. His work, which often criticizes bourgeois attitudes (particularly towards sex), is considered to anticipate expressionism, and he was a major influence on the development of epic theatre.
More about Frank Wedekind...