Start by marking “Against the Grain” as Want to Read:
Against the Grain

Against the Grain

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Love him or hate him, Arkadian “Kay” Frost has made his mark on the streets of Baltimore as the leader of a close-knit group of friends: Mike, the ladies’ man; Tank, the funny guy with a short fuse; Apache, the wild one with artillery expertise; Gee, aka Dread, a cold piece of work; and Dre, who doesn’t drink, smoke, or cheat–and trusts no one.

Bank robberies are their brea
Published September 30th 2008 by One World/Ballantine (first published September 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Grain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Grain

Eva Leger
Now THIS is a book the author should make a sequel out of! These characters weren't just thought up- I have no doubt in my mind that these characters came to Freeze instead of Freeze deciding to write a book and straining for characters.
I absolutely adored Kay and his family and friends. The book ended in a way that made me think, and hope, that there might be a sequel so hopefully that's being worked on.
This was great, much better than a lot of the more well known urban-fic authors out there
Kitani
For this being Freeze's first book, he didn't disappoint at all. Besides the all the descriptions I didn't have any complaints. Kay and his friends were not into making their own money the legal way and got caught up. Once watching what happened with Apache, Kay went into the system constantly blaming himself for everything that transpired. Sonia was straight up foul for the way she handled things with Kay. I couldn't believe she expected things to go back to normal. I loved Scatter! Even though ...more
Kesha
This book was very good! I would recommend all avid readers get their copy. You won't be disappointed. And to the author ... great job, I look forward to reading more from you.
Lesa Divine)

My Spring Break read (April 1 finished April 11)
Overall book was ok.
Kay and his friends robs a bank and 1 of his friends end up getting shot by the police and he dies. Kay goes to jail thinking it was his fault for his friend getting shot when it really wasn't his fault at all.

After serving time Kay gets out and his buddy Mike helps him get back on his feet with money, clothes and rides. Mike and his friends our well know in the hood due to the drug business they runs.
Kay ends up talking to a gi
Yasheve
I'm just amazed at the reviews for this book. It's very poorly written. There's way more telling than showing. It starts off very good, even though I have read a thousand stories just like it, then it doesn't create its own space in the world. It borrows from movies and lacks originality. I could still deal with that if it were so unbelievable. I know it's fiction, but the writer was obviously trying to "keep it real" and all I read was "real fake." I could even still deal with that, it there wa ...more
Sha
I did not care for this book that much
it was not good of a read
Mike Vernio
this is one of the realest books I have ever read if you can't relate to this then you are an idiot
Balis Moore
this was a good read the whole time i was reading it felt so real it was really good
Tameka Manns
Good Book! Cant wait to hear more from this author.
Dana Whitney
i love it & the ending was real as shit.
Linda Strickland
A very good book, Freeze where are you?
Kim
Very predictable, but ok.
Joy Truong
Joy Truong marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Katherene Tullous
Katherene Tullous marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Tiberius Hurd
Tiberius Hurd marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Darien Young
Darien Young marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Danielle Bastien
Danielle Bastien marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Gabriel Gonzales
Gabriel Gonzales marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Bd Ko
Bd Ko marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Jordan Domoslai
Jordan Domoslai marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Nateisha
Nateisha marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Aura
Aura marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Ros Smith-rountree
Ros Smith-rountree marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Wonderful Job! 1 5 Nov 22, 2008 02:54PM
The Game: Short Stories about the Life The Fluoride Wars: How a Modest Public Health Measure Became America's Longest Running Political Melodrama