Start by marking “Against the Grain” as Want to Read:
Against the Grain

Against the Grain

Love him or hate him, Arkadian “Kay” Frost has made his mark on the streets of Baltimore as the leader of a close-knit group of friends: Mike, the ladies’ man; Tank, the funny guy with a short fuse; Apache, the wild one with artillery expertise; Gee, aka Dread, a cold piece of work; and Dre, who doesn’t drink, smoke, or cheat–and trusts no one.

Bank robberies are their brea
Published September 30th 2008 by One World/Ballantine (first published September 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Grain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Grain

Eva Leger
Jul 21, 2009 Eva Leger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
Now THIS is a book the author should make a sequel out of! These characters weren't just thought up- I have no doubt in my mind that these characters came to Freeze instead of Freeze deciding to write a book and straining for characters.
I absolutely adored Kay and his family and friends. The book ended in a way that made me think, and hope, that there might be a sequel so hopefully that's being worked on.
This was great, much better than a lot of the more well known urban-fic authors out there
Kesha
Feb 25, 2009 Kesha rated it it was amazing
This book was very good! I would recommend all avid readers get their copy. You won't be disappointed. And to the author ... great job, I look forward to reading more from you.
Kitani
May 13, 2015 Kitani rated it really liked it
For this being Freeze's first book, he didn't disappoint at all. Besides the all the descriptions I didn't have any complaints. Kay and his friends were not into making their own money the legal way and got caught up. Once watching what happened with Apache, Kay went into the system constantly blaming himself for everything that transpired. Sonia was straight up foul for the way she handled things with Kay. I couldn't believe she expected things to go back to normal. I loved Scatter! Even though ...more
Lesa Divine)
Jan 12, 2009 Lesa Divine) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-it, i-own

My Spring Break read (April 1 finished April 11)
Overall book was ok.
Kay and his friends robs a bank and 1 of his friends end up getting shot by the police and he dies. Kay goes to jail thinking it was his fault for his friend getting shot when it really wasn't his fault at all.

After serving time Kay gets out and his buddy Mike helps him get back on his feet with money, clothes and rides. Mike and his friends our well know in the hood due to the drug business they runs.
Kay ends up talking to a gi
Yasheve
Sep 28, 2009 Yasheve rated it it was ok
I'm just amazed at the reviews for this book. It's very poorly written. There's way more telling than showing. It starts off very good, even though I have read a thousand stories just like it, then it doesn't create its own space in the world. It borrows from movies and lacks originality. I could still deal with that if it were so unbelievable. I know it's fiction, but the writer was obviously trying to "keep it real" and all I read was "real fake." I could even still deal with that, it there wa ...more
Vicki Howe
May 17, 2016 Vicki Howe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
7 Years

Cant believe it took me 7 years to discover this book. Picked it up on a whim and couldnt put it down. Tho far from my own world, there was never the slightest doubt I was reading truth on every page. Freeze moved the streets of "B'mor into my living room with such ease and left a whole pile of respect on my lap. This one will stay with me.
Felicia Redmon
Felicia Redmon rated it really liked it
May 14, 2011
Mike Vernio
Sep 02, 2012 Mike Vernio rated it really liked it
this is one of the realest books I have ever read if you can't relate to this then you are an idiot
Sha
Feb 09, 2015 Sha rated it it was ok
I did not care for this book that much
it was not good of a read
Shawntel
Shawntel rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2011
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Balis Moore
Jul 12, 2010 Balis Moore rated it it was amazing
this was a good read the whole time i was reading it felt so real it was really good
S.C. Dickens
S.C. Dickens rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2009
Adree
Adree rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2009
Keisha
Keisha rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2010
Adenike
Adenike rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2009
Mark Thorpe
Mark Thorpe rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2009
Cheemoandia
Cheemoandia rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2008
Demetria
Demetria rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2012
Kim
Jan 08, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok
Very predictable, but ok.
Linda Strickland
Aug 06, 2013 Linda Strickland rated it it was amazing
A very good book, Freeze where are you?
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Deontae710 Mcneil
Deontae710 Mcneil rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2011
Elise Randall
Elise Randall rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2017
Dana Whitney
Oct 22, 2010 Dana Whitney rated it it was amazing
i love it & the ending was real as shit.
Belinda
Belinda rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Chapter2chapterbookclub
Chapter2chapterbookclub rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2009
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2009
Bribri peña
Bribri peña rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2011