sMothering

sMothering

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A smart, fast, funny take on mother-daughter relationships, boyfriend-girlfriend disasters, and the career-girl blues.

Meet Claire McLeod, a twenty-something American girl living in Portland, Oregon. Claire's got big problems: her mother's a tyrant, her sister's a lesbian, and her father's in Omaha.

Claire's peaceful, if dull, existence is shattered when her mother arrives i...more
Published December 12th 2004 by Forge Books (first published 2003)

Ashley
Aug 30, 2007 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chick-lit fans
Shelves: chick-lit
pretty predictable but funny nonetheless. good airplane book when i went down home to visit. i've loved everything i've read of hers so far though and can't wait to get more!

pretty crazy about the whole affair thing between the parents. i can see myself being like that with my husband when we're older. not as bad as her, but i almost feel like i have a sense of relation there.

claire is realllly funny and i love her sarcasm and all the trouble she seems to get herself into without even actually g...more
Allison
cute book. a little bit of substance among the chicklits. I especially like the author's bio at the back of the book: "Wendy French was raised in Vancouver, where she was certain her parents unwittingly cursed her writing career with a happy and stable childhood. In an effort to overcome her unfortunate beginnings, she sought artistic torment at the University of Victoria, but despair eluded her. Although she earned a BA in Writing and English, she didn't suffer for a moment. Hoping for worse lu...more
Rebecca
I picked this book on a whim at the library ad was quite fond of it from the start. Claire and her mother dont' seem to have a great relationship. Mrs. McLeod has that, "I'm in your business and I know best and your life just isn't good enough why arent you married yet," attitude but oh so funny. Between work issues, a boss worth beating and family issues galore, its no wonder Claires life is a mess. But a fun mess at that. I rooted for her the whole way through and was pleased overall. From sta...more
Bree
I had it on my list for a long time and finally got it at the library. I started it one night and realized that I had read over 100 pages. This is a miracle for me as I have a two year old. It was funny, quick and I liked everything about it. The mother was like my mother-in-law so I just shock my head sighing at the things I read. The main character was likable finally. My one complaint is I like a book to flow naturally to the end. This did a 2 page happily ever after ending that I wasn't craz...more
Carmen
Jul 04, 2008 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Humor, fans del chick lit
"Mi mamá me mata" tiene como protagonista a Claire, una chica de 23 años que vive sola en su pequeño estudio. Un día, a primera hora de la mañana, su madre se le presenta en casa, maletas en mano, con la intención de quedarse. Claire tiene que lidiar con la inoportuna presencia de su madre, con la mala relación de su madre y su hermana Stephanie, divorciada de su primer marido y reconvertida en lesbiana....
Se lee rápido porque la historia es muy sencilla.Es una historia ligera de principio a fin...more
Lori
Laugh out loud funny!
JG (The Introverted Reader)
This was a fun, easy book that I read in about one night. It's the story of 23-year-old Claire and what happens when her over-bearing mother comes for an open-ended visit.

Really, this was just an amusing bit of fluff that was fairly predictable. If you're in the mood for that (and I was, after slogging through Look Homeward, Angel), you'll probably enjoy this one.

As an aside, I would like to thank my mom for being NOTHING like the mother in this book. What a nightmare!
Julie
A good, quick read.
Jeanne
Olie
Though the book is under 'chicklit category', and though I'm not a big fan of that category. I pretty much like this book. It tells about mother daughter relationship with all its ups and downs.

The book made me laugh, it made me frown, it even made me cry. One thing forsure, it made me thankful that I'm blessed with a mom like mine.
Gerry
This poor young woman really needed some help!
And who would have thought it would come in the form of her own very picky, critical Mother!
Sometimes we don't recognize love when it's right there staring us in the face.
Carmen
It was a cute, fun read. Took a few pages for me to get into, but once I did I enjoyed it.

I was a little dismayed at the books abrupt ending, i thought she could have done a little better job of wrapping it up
Chelsea
This book was sort of boring. Her other novel I read, Full Of It was great and this one was ummm...not so much. I will try some of her other books in the future I suppose but this one was a thumbs down!
Sarah Brown
I absolutely loved this book! It's something quick and super enjoyable to read "in between". It should be required reading for every mother and daughter. If you love your mom-Read this book!
Bozena
I did not really get into it. I was hoping it will be more funny. It was too slow-paced for me and the main character was not rebellious enough for me. I read about half of the book.
I really couldn't get into this book. As I was reading the first few chapters, I found myself thinking that the author was trying too hard to be funny and it just wasn't working.
Marie
Extremely light story about a young woman in Portland, OR, whose mom comes to visit and her life unravels, only to be neatly sewn together at the end of the book.
Meg Davis
I really liked it at first, but it seemed to degrade as it went on. Not as clever, like she was trying to get it over with. Nonetheless, it was a fun read.
Lauriemusic
Loved it! Very fun and one of the handful of books that has me laughing out loud! I enjoyed this book enough to buy her other books so I would recommend it.
Sue
Chick-lit. Claire lives in Seattle. Her mother comes to visit. She thought the father had an affair, but HE didn't. The MOTHER did!
I like this author. She is writes in the northwest. This book is set in Portland. It is predictable fluff, but fun to read.
Melissa Smith
A fun summer read. I related to this book a lot a few years ago. OK, maybe it was way more than a few years ago.
Sharal Hunter
I got through the first 4 chapters and couldn't connect with any of the characters.
Tray
Funny! Should be a required read for all mothers and daughters!
Christine Claudette
Very funny and engaging for a quick read.
Erin
Jul 03, 2008 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
This would make a great stage show
Anne Mariane
If you love your Mom, read this book!
Lorna
Not very realistic, but an easy read.
Lori
Laugh out loud funny!
Kathleen
Was a funny book to read
Wendy French was raised in Vancouver, Canada, where she was certain her parents unwittingly cursed her writing career with a happy and stable childhood. In an effort to overcome her unfortunate beginnings, she sought artistic torment at the University of Victoria, but despair eluded her. Hoping for worse luck south of the border, she moved to Oregon with her husband, David, but happiness continued...more
More about Wendy French...
After the Rice Full of It Going Coastal Splintering the Dark. Wendy French What's Your Problem?: A Book of Poetry. by the Pupils and Students of the Guy's Evelina Hospital School