Start by marking “The Golden Goose” as Want to Read:
The Golden Goose

The Golden Goose

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A simpleton's kind deed is rewarded with the gift of a goose with feathers of pure gold. But everyone who comes too close to the goose gets stuck, and soon the simpleton is leading a comical procession that wins him the heart of a princess. "Deadpan humor enlivens the retelling...Entertaining."-Kirkus Reviews
Published October 5th 1995 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published 1812)

Wren Hardwick
I have the complete set of the Grimm Fairy-Tales, and there are so many that I haven’t read! They are very short, as one would know, so I have decided to read each one and give them a review. Some are very vulgar, some are very cute and some don’t even make sense. Some of them are well known fairy-tales and some have never been told. Some are fairy-tales we know but are not the same because they have been downplayed for the children.

I quickly read this book after I finished The Fairy’s Return b
Carole
A woman had three sons; the first two were talented but selfish and didn't succeed. The third was not talented but he was kind and ended up far exceeding the success of his brothers.
Sherry Wolfe
Well I finally got to read the Golden Goose after someone made a reference to the story in conversation last night. I definitely enjoyed it.
Sophie Cox
The story was a good one and was quite amazing to imagine lots of people all stuck to each other and trying not to stand on each other's feet.
Cindy
The boy Simpleton, does more with his act of kindness, than any one who had a different agenda...and in the end he came off the winner.
I found this is a little more hard to enjoy as it was one of the more eccentric fairy-tales.
Bree
Notes:
shulevitz's amazing illustrations suit the story so well
Megan
Sweet fairy tale gently showing the rewards that come from showing kindness. The illustrations are the best part of the book; they show much more than is ever mentioned in the text.
Fi♥Moon♥Love
Dummling the youngest of his other two brothers goes into the woods to cut down the tree, as the other brothers failed to do that before him..
Brenda
Silly story, that while well written, I failed to see the point. Why did everyone get stuck together?
Myles
I liked this book because there was a golden goose and I like the illustrations.
Sara
Beautiful and captivating illustrations. Sweet story.
Teri
Really enchanting--my kids LOVED it!
Yazmyn Ellis
Yazmyn Ellis marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Astrid
Astrid added it
Aug 18, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Rose
Rose added it
Aug 08, 2015
Stephen Wiseheart
Stephen Wiseheart marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Amanda Kruckenberg
Amanda Kruckenberg is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2015
Sammie
Sammie added it
Jul 23, 2015
Carrielynn
Carrielynn marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Azur
Azur added it
Jul 12, 2015
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
  • King Midas and the Golden Touch
  • Goatilocks and the Three Bears
  • Lotta on Troublemaker Street
  • The Treasure
Uri Shulevitz is a Caldecott Medal-winning illustrator and author. He was born in Warsaw, Poland, on February 27, 1935. He began drawing at the age of three and, unlike many children, never stopped. The Warsaw blitz occurred when he was four years old, and the Shulevitz family fled. For eight years they were wanderers, arriving, eventually, in Paris in 1947. There Shulevitz developed an enthusiasm ...more
More about Uri Shulevitz...
Snow How I Learned Geography The Treasure Writing with Pictures: How to Write and Illustrate Children's Books Dusk