Start by marking “Torso: The Story of Eliot Ness and the Search for a Psychopathic Killer” as Want to Read:
Torso: The Story of Eliot Ness and the Search for a Psychopathic Killer

Torso: The Story of Eliot Ness and the Search for a Psychopathic Killer

The news in Cleveland, Ohio was dominated by two figures between 1935 and 1942. One was a sexy lawman, Eliot Ness; the other was a mysterious phantom killer known variously as the Mad Butcher, the Headhunter, and the Torso Murderer. He was never caught or identified. Freelance writer Nickel has beco
Published October 1st 2001 by John F. Blair, Publisher (first published May 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Torso, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torso

Katherine Addison
About half of what's wrong with this book is that it was written in 1989. So the book that would actually have been extremely interesting, about the ways that racism, classism, and homophobia shaped the police response to, the press response to, the investigation of, and the failure to find the Cleveland Torso Murderer, is not the book that is actually present. (To be fair, I don't know that any of those things is the reason the Cleveland Torso Murderer was never caught. He seems to have been bo ...more
Matthew
This book covers the career of Eliot Ness from his days fighting Bootleggers, and Capone in particular, to his decline in the post-Second World War era. In particular it looks at Ness’ involvement in the investigation of the unsolved Torso murders of Cleveland (Victims were butchered and usually the torso turned up first.). The book provided some social history on the 1930’s of which this reader was unaware. It also discussed the building up of the myth of Eliot Ness. The book was an interesting ...more
Bob
May 17, 2012 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not long after his "Untouchables" days, Eliot Ness experienced many successes as Public Safety Director of Cleveland (OH). Unfortunately, capturing the 'Torso Murderer' was not among them. A relatively little known crime, this serial killer haunted Ness' time in Cleveland.

This book is both a look at Ness himself after his Chicago accomplishments, and an examination of one of America's greatest unsolved serial killings. If you are interested in either subject, this is an excellent purchase.
Crystal
While the story is interesting, anyone without prior knowledge of the crimes in question would likely find the writing itself quite dry. The final chapter, meant to tie up loose ends and speculate about The Butcher, is really just an account of other serial killers and their tendencies, preferences, & etc. This book has made me wonder if our forensic technology today could solve this case, though.
Scott
Sep 30, 2009 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Besides the subject being about one of my heroes - Eliot Ness - and about my hometown - Cleveland - this book is a great read for fans of true crime and the gangster age. Far from being a dry history book, the author keeps you interested by sparsely throwing facts about the areas and people he talks about, as well as enough "meanwhiles" to make sure the subject at hand doesn't get too cumbersome.

Probably the best story about the Torso Murders available today. Highly recommended.
Jennifer Barbee
Sep 16, 2008 Jennifer Barbee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: Stiv
I'm sure that it is likely to be difficult to write a compelling story about an unsolved crime, but it has certainly been done before with Jack the Ripper and the Black Dahlia. Not so here, I'm afraid.
Fishface
Jan 22, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Very, very well-written, but like all unsolved cases utterly frustrating. Allows us to see the legendary Elliott Ness totally out of his depth, dealing with a case nobody would have an easy time with. Gives a good picture of what the times were like and the difficulties of even identifying the victims in a world of nameless transients.
Dixie Diamond
Nov 09, 2007 Dixie Diamond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime, 1930s
I haven't kept up with later analysis of this case so I don't know if this is still considered to be accurate or not, but it is very interesting.

(I understand now that much of the speculation later in the book about the Black Dahlia murder is probably wrong, but what did we know?)
KnowledgeGeek
The author was WAY too focused on Ness's history as an "untouchable" and filled in this book, which was, I thought from the title (silly me), supposed to be focused on the Cleveland Torso Murders, with a plethora of Ness's involvement their in. Therefore, it contains, in my opinion, far too much unrelated info on the Torso case. Disappointing.
Dawn
Aug 31, 2010 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Bendis' graphic novel "Torso" I wanted to find out the details behind the case. This book has a lot of interesting information. There is more about Eliot Ness and his fight against corruption than I care to read about, but it was still good.
Lyda Phillips
Jun 17, 2014 Lyda Phillips rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Fascinating history of Cleveland and Eliot Ness's life after Al Capone, and a grisly, still unsolved, series of murders.
Michael Kiersznowski
Excellent "true crime" book. I enjoyed from beginning to end.
Jonette
Story of a serial killer that terrorized Cleveland in the 1930's with 12 gruesome dismembered bodies, attributed to "Mad Butcher of Kingsbury Run".
Matthew Schuld
Matthew Schuld rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Christopher Quarry
Christopher Quarry rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2013
Joe Hefner
Joe Hefner rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2007
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Rick Conners
Rick Conners rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Scott Lovelette
Scott Lovelette rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2012
Hunter Johnson
Hunter Johnson rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2013
Andrea Johnson
Andrea Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2014
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2011
SkipO
SkipO rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Dan West
Dan West rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
mayhem!
mayhem! rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2009
Annie Garvey
Annie Garvey rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2017
Jon Recluse
Jon Recluse rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Nemo Erehwon
Nemo Erehwon rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013