Start by marking “Torsos” as Want to Read:
Torsos

Torsos

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Arriving in 1935 Cleveland with a determination to clean up the city, Eliot Ness is greeted by a series of grisly murders and is introduced to the local underground that threatens to swallow up his own detectives. Reprint. NYT.
Published May 31st 1995 by Mysterious Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Torsos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torsos

John
Over the period 1935-8, possibly beginning earlier and ending later, an unknown serial killer murdered at least a dozen people, leaving their decapitated and usually dismembered bodies scattered around the city of Cleveland. The case captured international attention, especially since the cops seemed powerless to come up with even the scantest of clues. That the city's Safety Director became, after the initial murders, none other than Eliot Ness of Untouchables fame merely added to the piquancy.

T
Nick
Erotic, occasionally tasteless story of boy prostitute murders that will blow your eyelids off.
C
Read this years ago while still living in Cleveland. A friend's visit and conversation about the Torso Killer reminded me.

Historical information in this was good (mostly), but the story itself was very gritty & graphic sexually and on the "fetish" end of things. I compare the "chicken scene" to the "cat scene" in The Once and Future King" ... i.e. a disturbing mental image I wish I'd never had.

I think if one is interested in the torso murders, there are likely better books out there.
Benjie Obera
Fast paced and tightly gripping plot - kept me wanting for more.

This is the first novel I've read with quite a few gay theme and I'm surprised that the story is more than the erotic plot and details.

I really appreciate that the author tried to leave more details to the audience's imagination.
Ventsislav Kostadinov
Such a great one. Until the very end I was thinking that the end is going to be all sad and bitter , but I was surprised at Cooke's wise descision. I definitely recommend this book.. !!
Lee Zebe
Traumatic. Best crime novel I've read, the sexual violence is disturbing but the story is gripping.
April Brown
gory..but I LOVED this book..fascinating tale of seriel killer
David Tamarin
actually the name of the book is "Torsos"
Julie
Another of my friend John's books.
Varecia
Varecia marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Laura added it
May 11, 2015
Keli
Keli marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Amy mae
Amy mae marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Jennifer Reece
Jennifer Reece marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Diana Montes
Diana Montes marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Ivan
Ivan added it
Jun 14, 2014
Chas Broman
Chas Broman marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
John Cooke
Aug 03, 2014 John Cooke added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: default
John Cooke
Shelves: default
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Randa Myers
Randa Myers marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Author of several novels and short stories of crime, suspense, horror, and dark fantasy. I have tried in my work to bring gay characters and a gay perspective to my favorite genres of popular fiction. Please check out my books and let me know what you think.

I was born in Amarillo, Texas, and grew up in Laramie, Wyoming. My novels include TORSOS, THE CHIMNEY SWEEPER, HAVEN, OUT FOR BLOOD, STINK LAK
More about John Peyton Cooke...
The Chimney Sweeper Out for Blood The Rape of Ganymede: A Greg Quaintance Novel Haven: A Novel of Anxiety The Lake