Start by marking “Torsos” as Want to Read:
Torsos

Torsos

Arriving in 1935 Cleveland with a determination to clean up the city, Eliot Ness is greeted by a series of grisly murders and is introduced to the local underground that threatens to swallow up his own detectives. Reprint. NYT.
Published May 31st 1995 by Mysterious Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Torsos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torsos

John
May 23, 2014 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over the period 1935-8, possibly beginning earlier and ending later, an unknown serial killer murdered at least a dozen people, leaving their decapitated and usually dismembered bodies scattered around the city of Cleveland. The case captured international attention, especially since the cops seemed powerless to come up with even the scantest of clues. That the city's Safety Director became, after the initial murders, none other than Eliot Ness of Untouchables fame merely added to the piquancy.

T
Lee Zebe
Mar 31, 2014 Lee Zebe rated it really liked it
Traumatic. Best crime novel I've read, the sexual violence is disturbing but the story is gripping.
April Brown
Oct 27, 2008 April Brown rated it it was amazing
gory..but I LOVED this book..fascinating tale of seriel killer
Nick
Jul 26, 2012 Nick rated it it was amazing
Erotic, occasionally tasteless story of boy prostitute murders that will blow your eyelids off.
This book has forever ruined a certain episode of "South Park" for me. And that is all.
C
Oct 22, 2011 C rated it did not like it
Shelves: the-wreckage
Read this years ago while still living in Cleveland. A friend's visit and conversation about the Torso Killer reminded me.

Historical information in this was good (mostly), but the story itself was very gritty & graphic sexually and on the "fetish" end of things. I compare the "chicken scene" to the "cat scene" in The Once and Future King" ... i.e. a disturbing mental image I wish I'd never had.

I think if one is interested in the torso murders, there are likely better books out there.
Benjie Obera
May 29, 2013 Benjie Obera rated it really liked it
Fast paced and tightly gripping plot - kept me wanting for more.

This is the first novel I've read with quite a few gay theme and I'm surprised that the story is more than the erotic plot and details.

I really appreciate that the author tried to leave more details to the audience's imagination.
Ventsislav Kostadinov
Such a great one. Until the very end I was thinking that the end is going to be all sad and bitter , but I was surprised at Cooke's wise descision. I definitely recommend this book.. !!
Ivonne Spinoza
Ivonne Spinoza rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2009
Kimmy
Kimmy rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
DΛV·D (dfsamos)
DΛV·D (dfsamos) rated it it was ok
May 05, 2015
Jim Stephenson
Jim Stephenson rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2010
Cameron King
Cameron King rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Joel
Joel rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2012
Jeffrey Pueblos
Jeffrey Pueblos rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Sally Bisbee
Sally Bisbee rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2010
Jessica Karou
Jessica Karou rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2009
Shirley
Shirley rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Tsvetoslav Dimov
Tsvetoslav Dimov rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2007
Jay Moseley
Jay Moseley rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2010
Kaloyan
Kaloyan rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
William
William rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Skriblerus
Skriblerus rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Shon
Shon rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Sue Daul
Sue Daul rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2015
Shannon Haskins
Shannon Haskins rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Author of several novels and short stories of crime, suspense, horror, and dark fantasy. I have tried in my work to bring gay characters and a gay perspective to my favorite genres of popular fiction. Please check out my books and let me know what you think.

I was born in Amarillo, Texas, and grew up in Laramie, Wyoming. My novels include TORSOS, THE CHIMNEY SWEEPER, HAVEN, OUT FOR BLOOD, STINK LAK
More about John Peyton Cooke...