Start by marking “After Life” as Want to Read:
After Life

After Life

If you could upload your mind, where would you put it? A postcyberpunk Extropian sci-fi with psychological and philosophical suspense.
Published (first published January 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about After Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Life

Lark
Jan 21, 2013 Lark rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, first-person
This is a story about a man named Alexander who is a PhD and decides to allow a new experiment in technology be implemented on his own brain, resulting in a meandering story of robots and artificial intelligence and dreams of robots and what happens when these machines take over the world.

I read through this fairly quickly without taking time to think and ponder through the possibilities and implications that Funk brings up. It was an intriguing and mildly engaging story simply for the ideas an
Anna
Sep 08, 2016 Anna rated it liked it
This was...uh, interesting to say the least.

It felt like I was reading a simplified cyberpunk Kafkaesque work. Some parts of this book are brilliantly written and address issues I never thought I would find addressed in novellas like this, the other parts struck me as just sort of bland and very unnecessary.

I had absolutely no idea what I was reading until about halfway through the book, and the ending is pretty interesting, so in so far as plot goes, I'd say it's definitely a mind-twister.

All i
Rohit Gupta
Dec 10, 2015 Rohit Gupta rated it it was amazing
After Life was a fairly quick read but was certainly a trip. The story was as convoluting as it could get and at times it was difficult to keep track of the story. However, the visions the protagonist sees in his dreams/reality(?) were vividly described by Funke. They were surreal. Every minute and trivial detail was described in detail which I loved.

There was one chapter which I specifically loved where the author talks about reality. What is real and what is not. How do you describe reality? I
Ringman Roth
Mar 20, 2012 Ringman Roth rated it really liked it
Take a slice of Isaac Asimov, add a dash of Kafka, 5 tbsps of neo-cyberpunk, and add a whole heap of WTF, then heat until golden brown. This is a bizarre novella, but a good one. The large majority of it is trying to figure out what is going on, but the book leads you along without ever letting you get completely lost. My only gripe is that Simon Funk's mind tends to fall into the gutter every now and then, but if you can look past that, its a great read.
Ana
May 27, 2013 Ana rated it it was amazing
The writing style is odd, full of dreams and strange scenarios, not following a visible thread until most of the way through the book. It really works for this story. I enjoy reading books that try to give a glimpse of a possible future, and this one uses (what I think are) plausible mechanisms and a reasonable storyline for future technology. A very enjoyable book that seems like it will hold up as a futuristic sci-fi story for a long time.
Michael
Jun 12, 2013 Michael rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, but I just found it too hard to follow. I guess that's intended to simulate the experience of the main character, but I found it very confusing. Each chapter is its own snippet of an experience, and the reader must deduce nearly everything about what is happening and why.
Steen Ledet
A decent sf novella about artificial intelligence, embodiment and what comes after the human. The speculative parts are better than the story, which often creaks under the desire to create an unstable but fascinating narrator.
WarBiscuit
Jan 12, 2009 WarBiscuit rated it really liked it
Read the free online copy, then immediately ordered a hard copy from Lulu. Great little novella about post-human existence, but embued with a wonderful sense of humour throughout. Some rather well-written ideas about the architecture of the human mind as well.
Jeff Blake
Jul 24, 2012 Jeff Blake rated it really liked it
Very interesting novella. It reminds me a bit of Manna, but set further along in the future. It can get raunchy in parts, but overall a fun read.
Michael Quinn
Michael Quinn rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Sebastian
Sebastian rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Herman Schonken
Herman Schonken rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Adam R
Adam R rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2012
Kacper Osiński
Kacper Osiński rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2015
Teppo
Teppo rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Westopheles
Westopheles rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2013
Victor Danell
Victor Danell rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Vladyslav Sitalo
Vladyslav Sitalo rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Andrew Fortier
Andrew Fortier rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2015
Arya
Jul 03, 2014 Arya rated it really liked it
Interesting chronicle of the human race evolution into machines. Didn't see that ending coming.
Yorick
Yorick rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Tylerni7
Tylerni7 rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Daniel Schneider
Daniel Schneider rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Dshlb
Dshlb rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2012
Jyotirmoy Roy
Jyotirmoy Roy rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Counterfeit Unrealities
  • Strength of Stones
  • Replicant Night (Blade Runner, #3)
  • Cyberpunk
  • Eight O'Clock in the Morning
  • Under the Scotch Broom
  • The Bladerunner
  • Philip K. Dick's Electric ant
  • Thor Meets Captain America
  • Single Page Web Applications
  • Very Hard Choices (Russell Walker/Zandor Zudenigo/Nika Mandiç Mysteries, #2)
  • Under the Amoral Bridge (The Bridge Chronicles, #1)
  • Star Dragon
  • Burial to Follow
  • William Gibson's Neuromancer: The Graphic Novel (Vol. 1)
  • Dr. Identity